Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 9:59 pm 
Vala
Vala

Has anyone read this book? I'm reading it now for the second time, and I have to say its very good.

About a year ago I watched the Disney movie and was surprised by how mature the subject content was. I certainly did not understand what was going on when I watched it as a little kid. I wanted to read the book and see how the movie and the book compared.

I will admit, the first third of the book is pretty boring. The chapters and chapters of description are a bit off putting. Mind you, I'm not against descriptions. I like things to be described. But when there's an entire chapter devoted solely to describing the Notre Dame cathedral, I get a bit bored.

But once I got past the descriptions of all the buildings, I was hooked. Victor Hugo transfers his descriptions from inanimate objects to his characters and dialogue. I love love *love* the way he writes dialogue and the ways he describes the various people in this novel.

If you haven't read it, well, I recommend that you do. Its a great book.

Post subject: Re: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 3:00 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hm... I've ever read the book but I just watched the movie for the first time in my life a few days ago... lol

So is the book pretty close to the movie... or rather the movie pretty close to the book?

The movie was very interesting and yes.. I was too surprised about the content being a bit more mature than I had expected...

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 9:57 pm 
Vala
Vala

The Disney version isn't quite the same as the book. The characters are completely different, for one. In the movie, Esmeralda seems to be in her late twenties, while in the book she's only about 16. Book Phoebus is a giant douche bag who is engaged to another woman and only wants to have a short fling with Esmeralda. As for Frollo, the movie portrayed him as very sinister, cruel, and cold judge. In the book, he was only about 35 and a priest. I felt that in the book he was a victim of his own desires. He knew what he was feeling was wrong and showed a lot more remorse and horror over his lust than movie Frollo did. He wanted desperately to escape from his feelings, but just couldn't and in the end he succumbed.

A few characters were also left out of the movie, and the plot is slightly different (with a way happier ending than the book).

I would highly recommend reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Victor Hugo's writing is gorgeous and so much fun to read.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 10:55 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I've only ever read it in French. Very serious and powerful book...

Profile       WWW