Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fanfiction (Recommendations and Thoughts)
PostPosted: July 24th, 2011, 11:05 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

An update, Henneth Annun has ceased its fanfic story function.There is still good Middle Earth resources there,
but the story archive has been moved to An Archive Of Our Own.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on October 2nd, 2017, 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 8th, 2011, 12:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

Can someone recommend me GOOD Marauders fanfiction? I am too tired to go through all the mediocre posted. :bye2:

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 7:35 pm 
Vala
Vala

Gah fanfiction. HUGE guilty pleasure right there. I tend to read mine on FF.net mostly since I can't even bother with finding other sites and since they have thousands (sometime hundreds of thousands) of fics in my favourite 'categories'/fandoms. I've read a quite a few brilliant ones, but it'd take me ages to go through my favourites list on there. I haven't bothered with any LotR fanfiction in a while anyway, since the little I've read years ago didn't impress me.

As for PWP, I'm guilty of writing one since it was at the request of a friend. xD

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 11:39 am 

I happen to love fanfic. I've read some amazing ones by really talented writers in a variety of fantoms, and I think it's brilliant how it gives people a chance to "publish" their writing and have it read and reviewed when they might not otherwise be able to get to that stage. Plus, writingfanfic is great practice for writing other things as well.

Lembas wrote:
Possibly my favourite fanfic EVER is Bagenders it's stupid, it's funny, it's basically an AU with LotR character but it's near enough the only Fanfic I've re-read frequently since I first found and read it!!!

I have no shame

... What have you done, Lembas. What. Have. You. Done. I am so horribly addicted to this now, you have no idea. :lol:

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 11:47 am 
Elf
Elf

Mwhahahahahahaha!!!!! There's no going back now Shadow, what has been read, cannot be un-read!! I'm glad that someone else finds it good though :D

PostPosted: December 7th, 2011, 4:07 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Ahhhhh, fanfiction.
Fanfiction can be a wonderful, joyous thing. Full of fluff, bunnies, sex, absolute nothings that manage to be hilarious (crack!fic is like a mug of hot chocolate on a cold day, a ray of sunshine, the sweetest flower, the snuggliest kitten, etc. It makes me all warm inside. Everything is so ridiculous and exaggerated, it's almost like "Essence of <Fandom>".)... It can also be a horrible, wounding, painful thing... And a hilarious, tear-inducing, horrible painful thing.
Unfortunately, since most fanfiction out there is the horrible, wounding, painful stuff, lots of people tend to stumble across that before they have the chance to get to any of the diamonds out there, and they end up scarred for life, vowing never to read any of that awful stuff again. I sometimes feel sad to see them go, but a lot of those that do just aren't cut out for it. I reckon it takes a certain kind of person to write fanfiction, and another to appreciate it. Fanfic is pretty unique- it's not written to be marketed to anyone, it's just what people wanted to write, and they wrote it because they wanted to see it, and it just ends up a lot unlike anything you'll find in a bookstore. Lots of it for good reason, admittedly, aha.
I'll read all kinds of it- the terrible stuff for laughs (but not often, because it gets depressing quickly), the fluffy frilly disgustingly sweet stuff just for snuggly feelings, crack!fic because that's as hilarious as it gets (when done right, obviously), het!, slash!/femslash!, and well, plotless sex is my not-so-guilty-because-to-be-honest-I-feel-quite-shameless-about-it pleasure. But only if it's good plotless sex, which sounds like an awful contradiction when you write it down, but when you're reading good plotless sex it definitely seems very good.
Canon and fanon don't matter all that much to me as long as it's written well- the whole point of fanfiction is to read someone else's extension of a fandom you love, by necessity it's going to be different than anything the author would have written (or the universe let happen, in the case of real life!fic). I don't read fanfiction for the feeling of a continuation of the author's writing, I read it for the characters and for good writing, even if (especially if? I love fanfic that has the writer's own flare to it) the flavor is different. If it's good then it's good, whatever pairing, whatever universe, whatever sexuality.
Now, LotR is one of my sacred!fandoms, and I really don't touch any fanfic of it, but I have read some fan poetry which can really be quite beautiful. After knowing so much about Tolkien's love of language and the careful and deliberate choice of words that he used in the books, it's too painful to read plain old fanfiction, really. It's a fandom where the writing matters a whole lot.

Now, someone asked for a Marauder era fic, though, and I know just the one! It's quite famous really, has a sort of cult following around it, I'd be surprised if no one had heard of it but if someone asks, I just have to say - The Shoebox Project.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2017, 12:26 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I seemed to have lost connection with this thread six years ago.
Of late I have been reading Middle Earth fanfic tales on Open Scrolls, Many Paths To Tread, and Stories of Arda.

About the whole sex/plot what plot topic of earlier, I say that it is fine to write in some intimacy and even some erotic scenes into a story that has a plot. It isn't the main focus of the tale, and adds to the overall story if written well. Granted, there are some plotless *beep* fanfics out there, but I tend to bypass them. A well written tale that can balance it in is really the best. What does a well-written tale have? A good balance. A narrative that can project the scene and setting without being too wordy, and is balanced by a good exchange of dialogue. Too many times I see an interesting topic title that I give a read to and it is basically a couple characters talking to each other right from the start. I tend to stop reading when I see that. Anyway... I'm rambling.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 10:07 am 
Vala
Vala

I think fanfiction is a great gateway into writing for young aspiring authors. It means you don't have to start from scratch, and you can work with existing worlds, characters, plots, and as you evolve you can figure out how to create those yourself without any help from previous works. It's been that way for me. My first fanfictions were atrocious, but the more I learned the more I was able to make the characters my own and then in extension I now write original stories.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 3:48 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

In a strict sense, JRRT wrote fanfiction. So did Shakespeare (you think he invented all of that Italian stuff??? :lol: ) The story of Doctor Faustus did not originate with Goethe, and Thomas Mann did his take on it, too. Brecht was a notorious “plagiarist”. The whole Arthurian cycle was reworked all over Western Europe. And never mind Troy (the nominal loser in the part of the “Trojan War” describer by Homer) being claimed as the ancestral home of, among others, Rome, Julius C.’s family there, and half of Europe. Where (as with Troy) reworkings cloud what may have been historical information in earlier versions, the reworkings may be deplored from the historical point of view (though if they preserve, if much muddled, bits of information missing in other sources, they may still be helpful).

The Eddas. The Nordic Sagas. The Finnish Kalevala. Beowulf et.al. Celtic (Irish and Welsh) legends besides Arthur. Probably some Greek and Roman stuff from JRRT’s classics studies at Oxford (and before). JRRT himself called it a mulch, where original story specifics have been degraded to a form of unspecific fertilizer. One possible specific exception is the attack of the Huorns on first Orthanc, then on the Uruk-hai besieging Helm’s Deep. A specific disgust on JRRT’s part with a part of “MacBeth”, as Tom Shippey suggests. Doing something like that wouldn’t be bad. But not being a writer myself, I have no idea about how to actually do the writing. Stuff like this harangue, in my two favorite JRRT sites, is pretty much my limit. :whistle:

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 11:50 pm 
Vala
Vala

Writing can be sooooo freeing sometimes. It just lets you explore all these emotions and places you'd never go in real life. In my Saw fanfiction I get to explore the whole good/evil aspect of people, if someone can be purely evil or purely good, can certain horrific actions be excused or can they not, etc. And that's obviously a quite interesting topic to touch and explore. It also allows me to dig into characters that are really dark and who do things I'd never do (knock on wood that I don't become a serial killer, huh) but you still get to just get in there, touch it, but from a safe place. That's why I love writing horror more than anything.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.