Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Opinions on 'Game of Thrones', please
PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 1:23 am 
Istari
Istari

Lembas wrote:
Hahah I think it's really interesting who like's who's PoV's best. I found Dany kinda dull after Book 1, and thought Theon just came across as a total idiot, but loved Brienne's. Tyrion's is consistently good- even with copious referrals to Shae :/. Sansa- so far though- has been my fav PoV, but then hers was one of the worst in AGoT lol. And I still feel slightly embarrassed about liking Jon's PoV after the Ygritte chapters in ASoS :)

Haha, YGRITTE. I like her :goofy:

Theon IS total idiot but I love his POV. Also Sansa is very good, I liked her as well in Game of Thrones. But Dany is my total favourite. She is just epic, I don't know, I feel like on great adventure while reading it.

Lithôniel, you, outside the borders have good, my Feast for Crows and Storm of Swords were divided into four books, each costing a bunch of money ^^

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 4:18 am 
Elf
Elf

Ygritte... Really.... lol

I think she's a marmite character, as everyone seems to love her or hate her- I don't know - it's shallow but GRRM described her as being kinda ugly (compared to say Cersei or Melisandre) which put me off a bit- as Jon's personality is so likable I thought he could do better (this is probably why I like Sansa so much, because we're both stupidly Naive about fantasy and love :P ). Then the way she spoke was really annoying - especially her catchphrase. And the cave-scene chapter was so awkwardly described that I felt completely awkward about picking up the book after it! But I think if GRRM had written her better then I may have liked her more :/

I do like Dany as a character I just want her to hurry up and go to Westeros instead of messing around with slaves, which is probably why I find her chapters average- It's the same with Jon- waiting for stuff to actually happen, but I like Jon better than Dany, and his friends are more interesting than Strong Belwas, Grey Worm & co. and I'm still disappointed Dany sent Jorah away D:

PostPosted: July 15th, 2011, 4:23 am 
Istari
Istari

I like Dany because she is messing up with slaves ^^ I like that her chapter arerather exotic and not actually in Westeros. Its nice brake after all Westeros related chapters.

But yeah, friends of Jon are rather good bunch while Dany is sorrounded by mediocre characters...

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2011, 10:46 pm 

Where would all of you suggest purchasing these? Should I purchase them separately or in a set? I'm just looking for an inexpensive way to get the entire set. :teehee:

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 3:20 am 
Istari
Istari

I bought them separately but only because I was waiting for the next book to come. But they are big, so expensive, methinks. I was buying in Poland but it was even for Polish realias very expensive. So I would reccomend to buy in whole.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 4:08 am 
Elf
Elf

Larael wrote:
Where would all of you suggest purchasing these? Should I purchase them separately or in a set? I'm just looking for an inexpensive way to get the entire set. :teehee:

I got mine separately, I got GoT first, then the next 2 books (which come in 3 volumes as book 3 is split into 2 parts) all together, and then the Last 2 individually. the first 5 books are about £8 each, whilst A Dance with Dragons is anywhere between £10 and £25. Waterstones have them on their 2 for the Price of 3 deal atm, which makes it cheaper- and the newest book is half price too! WHSmith also has the series (newest book not included because it only came out last week) on Buy one get one half price, which is fairly good too! I expect Amazon has them cheaper still, but no deals.

Has anyone started A Dance with Dragons yet??? I got round to it last night... Oh Tyrion & Dany & Jon I've missed you :D

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 4:13 am 
Istari
Istari

I am waiting for translation :whistle: It will be probably in next year, methinks.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2011, 9:25 pm 

Thanks for the help you two! I'll check out Waterstones methinks . . . although I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to reading this gargantuan novels. :teehee:

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 2:02 am 
Istari
Istari

well i found GoT as a Nook book, so I downloaded a free sample, it gives me a few chapters to read. I haven't read it yet, but i'm excited to start on it.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 12:04 am 
Vala
Vala

I read the books a few years ago (I'm waiting to obtain DwD from a friend in a week or two), and just this last spring bought a 4-volume box set from Amazon for ~$29. Well worth the money, in my opinion. For those people who are still deliberating on whether or not to read this series and might want to know what it's about, Martin's historical inspiration is the English War of Roses. It's very similar--in the first few books, in fact, the "fantasy" element seems almost incidental, though it gets a little more "fantastic" with each passing book.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2011, 10:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

My impression of it is that is is a more bloody, more realistic kind of a medieval type fantasy world, but with its own fantasy, if that makes sense. Its a decent series, if you can get into it, but it is a bit of a block to start in my opinion.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 1:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I want to read it badly but fear the sex scenes.
Can any of you tell me is it that graphic too much sex?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 5th, 2011, 4:34 am 
Elf
Elf

Alatariel, there is lots of sex, the first 2 books aren't so bad as most of the sex is described in a 'Fade to black' way or in retrospect. Sex and rape are frequently talked about and mentioned though. Books 3 and 4 have sex scenes from several POV characters, all of which I find really badly written and don't really add anything to the plot so you probably could skip them.

Has anyone else read ADWD yet??? Thoughts?

PostPosted: February 14th, 2012, 7:19 am 
Istari
Istari

I have read A Dance with Dragons :) And I think it's best from ASoIaF books. Well, maybe in the row with Storm of Swords. I think the chapters of Jon and Tyrion makes it thrilling and chapters of Dany develops so well, I love reading about her problems in Meeren. In Poland we have this book in two parts and second part is coming 21st February, I can't wait to read :)

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 12:34 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Quote:
I didn't like only Catelyn and Brienne POVs.

Hahah! I thought I was the only one. I can't stand to read Catelyn's. I feel like she tends to wallow in self-pity too much. My favorite POV is Arya. Dany's are pretty good too, though I think I like them since they are a nice break from cold Westeros. I'm almost finished with ACoK, so my opions may change later.

I don't care for all the scenes in it, but I skim over the parts. I have 3 or 4 of the SoIaF on my Kindle. I will say, it's nice that they're written fairly realistically. There's not an overload of magic like most fantasy books, just a touch. And I like how he's not shy about killing characters either.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 2:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

GOSH. Catelyn and Brienne's POVs...I think worse than sex scenes :lol: I read these damn sex scenes only because I don't like to skip anything in the books.