Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Iron Fey
PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Has anyone ever read the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa? It's a series of four books plus two e-books and goes:

-The Iron King
-Winter's Passage (short e-book available online that comes between Iron King and Iron Daughter)
-The Iron Daughter
-The Iron Queen
-Summer's Crossing (short e-book)
-The Iron Knight

I just finished the Iron Knight a few days ago. This series is incredibly well-written and is about a girl named Meghan Chase who is the half-fey daughter of Oberon, King of the Seelie Court (Summer Court) in the fairy realm of the Nevernever. She goes into the Nevernever to rescue her four-year-old half-brother Ethan when he is captured by an Iron Faery, a new sort of Faery whose very existence threatens both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, because Faeries cannot touch iron. As Winter and Summer fey are created from the dreams of humans, so too are the Iron Fey, although they are created by different dreams entirely and are the result of technology becoming so prominent in the mortal world.

Here is the excerpt from the back of the Iron King:

My name is Meghan Chase.

In less than twenty-four hours I'll be sixteen. Countless stories, songs, and poems have been written about this wonderful age, when a girl finds true love and the stars shine for her and the handsome prince carries her off into the sunset.

I don't think it will be that way for me.

Meghan's journey is further complicated by the traveling companions she encounters along the way: Her childhood friend Robbie, who turns out to be none other than the infamous Robin Goodfellow AKA Puck, Summer trickster who has been protecting Meghan throughout her life; Ash, son of Queen Mab and prince of the Unseelie Court; and a mysterious cat named Grimalkin. I've probably read half a dozen books with a similar premise of a teenage girl finding out that she's half-faery and has to embark on a quest to save the world of the faeries, but never have I read one that was so well-written, or injected such originality into a slightly overdone storyline. These books are funny, realistic, romantic, and impossible to put down. Has anyone else read them, or am I alone in my obsession? ;)

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!