Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Book Quotes
PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 4:23 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Didn't see any threads on the topic, so I thought I'd start one where we can share some of our favorite quotes from books that we've read (Or quotes made by authors outside of their books). Here are a few of mine:

“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen. "The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance With Dragons

“Sleep is good, he said, And books are better.”
― George R.R. Martin

“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much Jon Snow. - Tyrion Lannister”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Live in the present, remember the past, and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now.”
― Christopher Paolini, Eldest

“It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

They can keep their heaven. When I die, I'd sooner go to Middle-earth.”
― George R.R. Martin

Just a small sampling of mine. Of course if I posted all of my favorites, I would have half of Tolkien's entire works here lol.

Also, if you can't remember how a specific quote goes exactly, here is a website I use once in a while to look quotes up: http://www.goodreads.com/quotes
Just type in the author's name or a keyword or something, and there's a good chance you'll find what you're looking for.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

Post subject: Re: Favorite Book Quotes
PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 6:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

'Sam is an excellent fellow and he would jump down a dragons throat for you, if he doesn't trip over his own feet, but you need more than one companion.'
-Pippin

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 12:31 pm 

"Her love is only a very small fraction of the love he found. Mortal love is our introduction to the immortal."
-Johnathan, The Death Gate Cycle

"Though here at journey's end I lie
in darkness buried deep,
beyond all towers strong and high,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell. "
-Sam

"One word, Ma'am," he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. "One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one more thing to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's a small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say."
-Puddleglum The Silver Chair

"The Fact that the price must be paid is proof that is worth paying."
-The Eye of the World

"“You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains."
-Oh The Places You'll Go!

Just a couple. I love to collect quotes. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 19th, 2011, 2:40 pm 
Elf
Elf

Quote:
Percy frowned. "You have a feast for tuna?"

-Percy Jackson, The Son of Neptune

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 19th, 2011, 6:09 pm 
Maia
Maia

“Ah coffee. The sweet balm by which we shall accomplish today's tasks.” ~ Holly Black, Ironside

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: November 20th, 2011, 3:15 am 
Istari
Istari

"We don't own the planet Earth, we belong to it. And we must share it with our wildlife."
-Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter

“Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill and eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first.”
-Steve Irwin

“I have a message for my fans. Whatever you want to do in this world, it is achievable. The most important thing that I've found, that perhaps you could use, is be passionate and enthusiastic in the direction that you choose in life, and you'll be a winner.”
-Steve Irwin

"He had left me a word, tossed me a key to a door I never knew was there and had still to find. A word grows to a thought-a thought to an idea-and idea to an act."
-Beryl Markham, West with the Night (I never actually read this book, the quote was included before the chapter of a book I was reading, but when I read it I immediately thought of my hero Steve Irwin and his impact on my life)

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

“Come, Watson, come!" he cried. The game is afoot.”
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (always made my heart leap in excitement when Holmes said this)

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“Never laugh at live dragons.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien :lol:

PostPosted: November 20th, 2011, 5:57 pm 
Maia
Maia

“Grave and thoughtful was her glance, as she looked on the king with cool pity in her eyes. Very fair was her face, and her long hair was like a river of gold. Slender and tall she was in her white robe girt with silver; but strong she seemed and stern as steel, a daughter of kings.
Thus Aragorn for the first time in the full light of day beheld Eowyn, Lady of Rohan, and thought her fair; fair and cold, like a morning of pale spring that is not yet come to womanhood. And she now was suddenly aware of him: tall heir of kings, wise with many winters, grey cloaked, hiding a power that yet she felt. For a moment still as stone she stood, then turning swiftly she was gone.”
~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

“Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.” William Shakespeare, Romeo & Juliet

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 9:58 pm 
Elf
Elf

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Dr. Seuss.

That makes me think of a Charlie McDonnell song. . ."because the people who mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind!"

“Let us find the dam snack bar," Zoe said. "We should eat while we can."
Grover cracked a smile. "The dam snack bar?"
Zoe blinked. "Yes. What is funny?"
"Nothing," Grover said, trying to keep a straight face. "I could use some dam french fries."
Even Thalia smiled at that. "And I need to use the dam restroom."
I started cracking up, and Thalia and Grover joined in, while Zoe just looked at me. "I do not understand."
"I want to use the dam water fountain," Grover said.
"And..." Thalia tried to catch her breath. "I want to buy a dam t-shirt.”
― Rick Riordan

“I nodded, looking at Rachel with respect. "You hit the Lord of the Titans in the eye with a blue plastic hairbrush.”
― Rick Riordan

Foaly: Anyone see you come in here?
Holly: The FBI, CIA, NSA, DEA, MI6. Oh, and the EIB.
Foaly: The EIB?
Holly: (smirking) Everyone in the building.
--Eoin Colfer

“You wouldn't know a clue if it danced in front of you with a T-Shirt that read 'I'm a clue.”
― Eoin Colfer

“You're a prefect? Oh Ronnie! That's everyone in the family!"
"What are Fred and I? Next door neighbors?”
--JK Rowling

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2012, 9:46 pm 
Ent
Ent

“Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when it's morning again, they'll wash away
Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.”
― Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”
― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

“I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

“There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one...just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

“We are living in a time when flowers are trying to live on flowers, instead of growing on good rain and black loam.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

"Everyone must leave something in the room or left behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime. "

"Some day the load we're carrying with us may help someone."