Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soundtrack to Your Life.
PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gandolorin wrote:
It depends on my mood. This is the stuff I can choose from at home:

Allman Brothers Band, Duane Allman, Louis Armstrong, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, The Beatles, Jeff Beck, George Benson, Black Sabbath, Mike Bloomfield, Dave Brubeck, Roy Buchanan, Buffalo Springfield, Eric Burdon, J.J. Cale, Roger Chapman, Eric Clapton, Clark-Hutchinson, Joe Cocker, Ry Cooder, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young), Miles Davis, Paco de Lucia, Deep Purple, Delaney & Bonnie & Friends, Al Di Meola, Bo Diddley, Dire Straits, The Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Duke Ellington, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Rory Gallagher, David Garret, Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie, Benny Goodman, Herbie Hancock, George Harrison, Coleman Hawkins, Jimi Hendrix, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Humble Pie, Iron Butterfly, The J. Geils Band, Mahalia Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elmore James, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Billy Joel, Elton John, Robert Johnson, Janis Joplin, B.B. King, Carole King, The Kinks, Leo Kottke, Lenny Kravitz, Leadbelly, Led Zeppelin, Alvin Lee, John Lennon, Gordon Lightfoot, Little Feat, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Mahogany Rush, Herbie Mann, Curtis Mayfield, Paul McCartney, John McLaughlin, Wes Montgomery, The Moody Blues, The Mothers of Invention, Mountain, Muddy Waters, Gerry Mulligan, Ted Nugent, Jimmy Page, Christopher Parkening, Charlie Parker, Joe Pass, Alan Parsons, Oscar Peterson, Pink Floyd, Popa Chubby, Procol Harum, Elvis Presley, Bonnie Raitt, Ram Jam, Django Reinhardt, Return to Forever, The Rolling Stones, Carlos Santana, Andrés Segovia, Simon and Garfunkel, Steppenwolf, Cat Stevens, Stephen Stills, Taste, Ten Years After, Three Dog Night, Traffic, Robin Trower, Joe Turner, Tina Turner, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ben Webster, West, Bruce & Laing, The Who, Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Steve Winwood, Bill Withers, Stevie Wonder, Lester Young, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top.

Plus several of the artists who participated in the five Crossroads Guitar Festivals organized by Eric Clapton.

I could be really happy sitting in a room with a record player and your collection Gandolorin!

Not sure if I added these to my list back a ways, but I have been enjoying the harp covers done by Camille and Kennerly, and the cello covers done by Tina Guo!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 3:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

And a record player it is for the vast majority of my list. Bought a Thorens TD 320 MK III belt drive (with the turntable and tonearm tray decoupled from the chassis by a suspension) back in January 1996 to replace my Fisher 6225 contactless rim linear drive form 1978, my first record player. We do listen to LPs every once in a while, an experience which might make some people whose music experience started with CDs (never mind the Internet bit which I'm totally unfamiliar with) go crazy looking for the remote control to skip tunes. :lol: :roll:

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 8:03 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Sometimes an album is meant to be played all the way through in order. The Eagles Desperado album is one.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 12:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Some years ago I managed to find several multi-CD sets of some of my favorite bands at one go in a store with a large music section:

A credence Clearwater Revival three-CD “best of” set with 50 mostly good songs
A Jethro Tull five-CD set, each CD corresponding to an album, with their peerless “Aqualung” and “Too Old to Rock ‘n’ Roll, Too Yound to Die!” included
A The Doobie Brothers five-CD set with their albums 2 through 6, their high point, (I also have album 1 on LP) and
A The Doors six-CD set with all six of the Jim Morrison LPs, just mind-boggling

Somehow, most of what has come later seems pathetic to me compared to this gold mine.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 6:08 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Listening to The Yardbirds ~ Roger The Engineer album (stereo re-issue).
So darn 60's, and my sister didn't like them. Love my big sis for introducing her little brother to some of the great music of the '60's, but the Yardbirds I had to find on my own. Thanks to a Columbia Record Club compilation gift album with 'Shapes of Things' on it, and KOL FM 94.1 on the Zenith console stereo playing the deep stuff, my childhood musical experience expanded well beyond my sister's record collection.

Also, a shout out to the 10 Watt FM 'school stations' KNHC 89.5 and KGRG 89.9.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 10:07 pm 
Istari
Istari

A bit one-off, but I just read through four autobiographies by musicians whose music has been very much a part of my music-listening life: Keith Richards (English original), Eric Clapton (German translation), then Germany’s premier singer-songwriter (think Carole King, Gordon Lightfoot et.al.) Reinhard Mey, who in by now over 50 years has released 27 studio albums and 13 live albums, plus other stuff (he still outsells the Beatles in the backlists in Germany – and yes, that does seriously mean something!), and the founder and still central figure and songwriter, Wolfgang Niedecken, of what, for want of a better word, is Germany’s premier rock group (with a period of leaning a bit close to fleetingly current pop, and certainly a more than superficial singer-songwriter touch), BAP, with 17 studio albums and 7 live albums since 1979. Niedecken also has some solo albums and collaborations with other musicians. And the most mid-boggling thing about BAP is that almost all of their lyrics have been in the Cologne dialect!

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 3:44 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

A track from Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks album was played on 4ZzZ this morning on my way to work.
It was 'Shelter from the Storm.' Got it stuck in my head now.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW