Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Christmas Music - When and What?
PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 12:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I was born in Chicago, and when we lived there my dad worked at a radio station. Before he left, he recorded all of his favorite Christmas songs that he would play on the air, onto two cassette tapes (bear in mind this was in 1993). These Christmas tapes are what I have grown up listening to for the past 18 years. It's gotten to the point that when I hear a song on the radio that's on our Christmas Tape, it feels weird not to have it automatically segue into the next song on the tape. He has a pretty wide variety of music on the tapes, ranging from classics like Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and Judy Garland's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", Frank Sinatra's "Jingle Bells," various Andy Williams Christmas songs, and Johnny Mathis' "Marshmallow World" to some John Denver songs (Christmas for Cowboys and Aspen Glow) to things like "Feliz Navidad", "Do They Know It's Christmastime at All?" and "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron (Snoopy's Christmas Song.")

I love this Christmas Tape. To me, it's not Christmastime until we've listened to it, either in the car on the way to celebrate and open presents with my mom's family (which is always done the week before Christmas because the actual day is always spent either with my dad's side of the family or at home with just us). When I was a kid, I thought that everyone in the world had a Christmas Tape just like we did. Now, we can't listen to it as much because my mom totalled her car in September, and her car was the only one that had a cassette player since cassettes are virtually obsolete now, but we still managed to listen while we decorated our tree this past Sunday. The tape is a little worn and the music has gotten just slightly distorted over the years, but it's still our Christmas Tape. ^_^

I'm the kind of person who will listen to Christmas music no matter what the season, mostly because I just love music so much. You don't have to wait for Christmas to enjoy the music. In addition to our Christmas Tape, we have TONS of Christmas CDs at our house, so many that last year I was able to listen to a different one every day in December! I'm not sure if I can really pick favorites. Josh Groban's Christmas album "Noel" is brilliant, as is Celtic Woman's Christmas Celebration CD and Hayley Westenra's Winter Magic, which features two original songs that she wrote herself. And of course, anything sung by Bing Crosby is terrific--that man's voice just says Christmas! I'd have to say that my favorite Christmas songs are "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "White Christmas," "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," "Little Drummer Boy," and "O Holy Night," but I have countless others that I love too. I love Christmas!

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 1:42 am 
Istari
Istari

We may play a little Christmas music on the jukebox when we're at Grandmas for Thanksgiving, but we really dont start until a few days after when we start putting out the xmas decorations. (although sometimes I will listen to a xmas song or two during the summer or something as a pick me up if I'm feeling really down or something) I love Dean Martin's Christmas album, its one of my favorites! love 'Baby Its Cold Outside', its one of my favorites. Other than that I listen to my country christmas cds with different country artists on them, or George Strait's christmas cd. Right now one of my favorites is Luke Bryan's 'Run Run Rudolph', its so fun and energetic. Oh, and of course all the usual holiday music from years ago, like 'Rockin Around The Christmas Tree' and stuff like that.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 4:33 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer... nough said lol

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 7:12 pm 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

In all honesty, I can no longer stand Christmas music. The Christmas season itself is dragged on long enough and is started much too early in my opinion. My liking for Christmas was killed when I went into a Kohls last year a week before Halloween and they were playing Jingle Bell Rock. That was it for me. I had Halloween on the brain all October and the last thing I wanted to hear about was Christmas.

He saw there mirrored bright and fair

♥In a poly relationship with Kili and Tauriel♥

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2012, 2:07 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Erkenhelm lol... :lol: That one's always great!

I like songs like Silent Night, etc. All of the songs that celebrate Christ's birth. :) Also anything and everything Josh Groban <333

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2012, 6:16 pm 

Xmas music is not allowed in my house until either first Sunday of Advent or Dec.1...whichever comes first
- and on pain of death. :hide: not one minute before!!!! Mwahhhh!

MvL/Nurr
my Aragorn

PostPosted: November 25th, 2012, 8:20 am 
Elf
Elf

I can play Christmas music whenever I want to. And I love all xmas songs. It is awful when I play xmas song and when it is xmas, I am bored of listening them. Story of my life.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 3:11 pm 

The radio stations usually start playing Christmas songs the day after St. Nicks (which is December 5th) but I personally take another week before I actually start listening to them. Sadly most stations only play the popular and very loud Christmas songs that I've already heard a gazillion times, so two weeks is more than enough to be satisfied for a whole year ;-)

I do have some lovely Christmas CDs from choirs singing more traditional Christmas songs, and I always prefer those over the 'popular' songs.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 12:11 am 
Istari
Istari

I've recently fallen in love with the Sirius XM Classical Holiday station. Christmas music played by symphonies? Yes please! So relaxing. Oh, and another biggie for me (besides Dean Martin) is Michael Buble!!!!! Love his Christmas stuff!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 12:45 am 
Istari
Istari

I have mixed feelings about Christmas music. I feel like I've been overexposed to it over the years and have lost most of my liking for it. I am not as fond of traditional Christmas music, BUT I do love Enya's beautiful winter album and other instrumental albums. I also like Trans-Siberian Orchestra CDs, and nothing's better than a little Michael Buble. :swoon:
As for timing, I don't start listening to Christmas music until it's nearly December OR once there's snow on the ground. Then, it's time to really celebrate the season!

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: March 20th, 2013, 10:14 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

When? It can be all the time.
Songs? Mostly the old ones (ancient ones lol and mostly Operatic versions)
I love:::
Silent Night.
O! Holly Night.
White Christmas.
Jingle Bells. (I call it my sexy Christmas song lol).

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 5th, 2013, 6:58 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

For me, The weekend after Thanksgiving becomes Christmas season, no sooner. I then start out playing Greg Lake's Father Christmas song, this year followed by Mediaeval Baebes - Of Kings and Angels, & Blackmoore's Night - Winter Carols.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 12th, 2013, 3:20 pm 
Maia
Maia

There is too much Christmas music. I have one album by a favourite artist that I listen to around this time of year. Or I just to Howard Shore's soundtracks. Well, I do like the Nutcracker tunes.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2015, 11:13 pm 
Vala
Vala

If it's not September anymore then Christmas music is all game.

Usually I listen to the Swedish version of the songs.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2015, 5:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

I am mainly the old fashioned traditional kind of guy. Out of singers Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, that kind of stuff. And also the old orchestras and choirs. This is in my opinion the best version of the Christmas song ever done. They don't have the track by itself on youtube so if you want to here the song start the video in the link at 33:10 for the specific song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wskBJb_PXdw

I like the more peaceful songs then the others like I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus or Rudolph, I don't care for those songs much. Out of the new stuff I do like The Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Josh Groban's stuff is pretty good. I grew up listening to the old vinyl type recordings so that's why I like the old stuff I guess.

Last edited by Captain Boromir on November 3rd, 2015, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 31st, 2015, 10:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Carol of the Bells should be loved all year long.