Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2011, 4:37 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

2, 3, and 5 really does not surprise me. At all. Although, "Billie Holiday" by Warpaint is to live and die for. I haven't listened to "Burgundy" yet though but I'll definitely check it out. I guess 3 does compensate for the lack of RHCP. Personally I would just get a collection of their music videos and call it a day.

@EDIT: I have listened to Burgundy and I really like it. Pretty d@mn good. Good choice there.

Let's see....

1. OK Computer by Radiohead

Yeah yeah. Hardly a surprise there but this album is just amazing. Definitely one of the most influential albums in the 90s...not that I particularly remember that time. Every song on that album was crafted beautifully and the vocals mixed with the amazing and, at the time, revolutionary instruments makes for one of the best albums ever and I can't live without my Radiohead.

Highlight track: Paranoid Android

2. Gourmandises by Alizée

While Mes Courants Electriques has some of my all-time Alizée favourites like "J'en ai marre" and "A contre-courant", this album has almost everything within the range of the French pop music. And to be honest, I really love it. The catchy, fast-tempo, suggestive lyrics are what really makes most of her songs enjoyable.

Highlight track: L'Alizé

3. The Devil's Bris - Voltaire

I was honestly debating between this album and To the Bottom of the Sea but in the end, I'm settling with this one. Of course, the most well-known songs in this album are infamous for the morbid lyrics but people usually forget the other songs on this album that just make it incredibly beautiful if heart-wrenching. And less we forget the amazing use of folk strings that weaves it all together.

Highlight track: When You're Evil

4. Found Songs - Olafur Arnalds

Olafur Arnalds is really one of the best neo-classical composers that I've heard so far. While relatively short compared to the other albums, every song just speaks something deep inside you and the beautiful piano mixed with violins. I really don't know what else to say about this album.

Highlight track: Ljósið

5. Earthsongs - Secret Garden

It was a b*tch trying to think of a fifth album mostly because I don't have favourite albums per se, more like favourite songs. So I had to choose between Combinations by Eisley for "Invasion", Carmin by Daphné for "Musicamor", Laïs by, well, Laïs for "'t Smidje", and many more. So in the end, I decided to go with this album not just because it has one of my all time favourite songs, but also because every song is just so d@mn beautiful.

Highlight track: Sleepsong

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 12:16 am 
Kallisti
Kallisti

In no real order, because I'm stranded on a desert island and wondering how the power is going to work in order to make my CD/iPod run consistently...

1. Amnesiac

Every time I sit down to listen through this album, all the way through, it takes my breath away. From my favorite song of all time {You and Whose Army?}, to the simple yet heart achingly sorrowful Like Spinning Plates, it gets me, every time. Each time is a journey, because I pick out something new, or find a new way that the chords string together, or interact, or lead and follow one another into the next refrain, or haunting melody that Thom chooses to pick out.

2. Ironman OST

I've listened to this album more consistently than any other album I own. The summer it came out, that's all I listened to. It has exactly the right number of "excitement" tracks, and the right number of "mellow" tracks. It's a bit like a good workout, starts out fast, and hard, slows down, and gives you some time to recover, then it kicks your @ss into high gear again. Plus I can basically visualize the whole darn movie because of it, so... Added bonus

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Special Extended Edition, Disc 4

Possibly my favorite out of all of the ten discs that are a part of the SEE soundtracks, because it concludes my favorite movie, my favorite book, and is the one disc, I think, that shows Shore's real prowess as an orchestrator, composer, and overall talent when it comes to music. Up until this point, the music has been amazing, wonderful, evocative, capable of creating emotion from a few simple string and wind instruments, accompanying a set of visuals unlike any other movie every experienced. But up until this point it has been just music, don't get me wrong, it's great music, The Lighting of the Beacons is one of my favorite pieces of all time, but it's never quite been there. But this disc has it, it has the right moments, the exact right timing, the exact right voices and melodies and chords to bring this masterpiece to a finale that it has always deserved. Viggo's, Renee and Annie bring this stunning movie to a deserving conclusion, and with the brilliant addition of "Bilbo's Song", it extends the magic just that bit more.

4. Black Holes and Revelations

Muse, my most beloved Muse, tainted (regrettably) by Stephanie Meyer's attempts to "unique" herself, and paint herself as an author that "doesn't listen to all that other stuff", but still, will always be some of my favorite artists. This was the first album I owned by these guys, and it brings back some of my favorite memories. With both simple and grand songs, as with all of their albums, this one I find works the best as a collective piece, plus Map of the Problematique and Knights of Cydonia are awesome songs.

5. How to Train Your Dragon OST

Nothing but love for this soundtrack. Sweeping orchestral movements give way to happy light encounters, and quiet moments shared between friends. It too gives me the ability to visualize the movie with every song, which I think is a good thing when it comes to listening to a movie soundtrack. Forbidden Friendship is a fantastic song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2011, 9:21 pm 
Elf
Elf

Can I count the Complete Recordings of all three films as one album? Pretty please?

I'll do two lists then.

1. Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings (all three films :p )
2. Florence and the Machine - Lungs
3. Muse - The Resistance
4. Damh the Bard - Spirit of Albion
5. Damh the Bard - The Hills they are Hollow

If I have to count LotR as separate albums :(

1. The Two Towers Complete Recordings
2. Florence and the Machine - Lungs
3. Damh the Bard - The Hills they are Hollow
4. The Fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings
5. The Return of the King Complete Recordings

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 6:08 am 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

Oh, this is near impossible, because I download entire discographies of artists all at once, instead of just listening to an album at a time. This is gonna be like, three million times harder. Hold please.

Alrighty. In no particular order:

Eyes Open - Snow Patrol

Now, before any hardcore Snow Patrol fans jump down my throat for picking the album with the infamous "Chasing Cars" on it, I just have to say that it was nearly impossible for me to choose what album I would want, and eventually this one out, for having "You Could Be Happy" which seriously, I could just listen to on loops for days. Oh man. Also, "Headlights on Dark Roads." So, yeah. I know that every real Snow Patrol fan basically hates Chasing Cars, but this album is just too freaking good to overlook just for that. Though, if I had it my way, I'd also throw in "Disaster Button" and "The Planets Bend Between Us" from A Hundred Million Suns. Just throwing that out there.

Exile on Mainstream - Matchbox Twenty

I hate everything for having to choose one of these freaking albums. I love about six songs on all four of their main albums, so I finally went with their compilation, hoping that at least I could have what they considered their best. Although it forces me to give up "Could I Be You" which sucks. A lot.

The Silver Cord - The Classic Crime

I didn't realize how much I had listened to this album until I was browsing my iTunes just now. Apparently I listen to this. Bunches. Random band from near my hometown, and I kind of love them.

The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls

Only turned onto this recently, and I freaking cannot stop listening to it. It's just, dark and creepy, and like, touches that part of everyone that they like to pretend doesn't really exist. Thus why it's brilliant.

Brand New Eyes - Paramore

I love Riot! so much, but right now I have just been listening to the new album over and over. The lyricism is a bit...well, not good, but the overall sound I think is better. Whatevs.

Also, I know this list makes it seem like I just listen to pop-y crud all the time, but I really don't. In fact, most of my favorite songs aren't even on these albums, but they're either by random alternative bands that I only like, three of their songs total, or they are by bands like Brand New, Opeth, or the Mountain Goats, that there simply WAS NOT one album I could put them onto. Oh well.

Profile       WWW