Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 17th, 2024, 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Learning Guitar
PostPosted: October 29th, 2005, 6:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

I'm hopefully going to be learning to play the guitar very soon. Has anyone here ever taught themself to play? If so, what books, tips, etc, do you suggest? I think that's the route I'll be going, since lessons are expensive. I have a friend that knows the basics of guitar, and she's willing to teach me some, but her knowledge is pretty limited, so that can only go so far. Any tips and suggestions (or links to good websites) would be really appreciated :)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2005, 10:51 pm 

Ah, yes...on teaching oneself the guitar. Basically what I did (well, I had previous music experience on the piano, so it may be different with you), was begin by playing random melodies on just a couple strings. I looked at chord charts, asked my dad (who also plays), and figured out how to play tabs (which I don't like doing anyway). I tried using a book, but I found it tedious, but maybe you learn better from a book--I learn more by doing. So I'd sit on my bedroom floor and play the same annoying chord sequence again and again until I got it. It's also fun to 'make up' chords. I'd randomly arrange my fingers around and the sounds that come out are quite amusing. I'm still not that great, but I'm decent, and attempting to teach my brother *groans*...but yeah, that's my advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2005, 5:14 pm 
Elf
Elf

Thanks vikingmaiden :D If I ever need help, can I ask you please?

I sort of have previous music experience... I took piano lessons for two years, and I had a couple guitar lessons a few years ago, but I don't remember much of that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31st, 2005, 7:28 pm 

Well, any music experience is helpful! I'll be glad to help, but it might be kind of hard over internet...but yeah. One thing that's good to have is a comprehensive chord chart book. One that has basically every chord in every key listed. It's something you'll use a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2005, 7:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

I found my sister's old guitar notebook with lots of songs and a chord chart! I just need to find her capo and tuner... those things are important. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2005, 10:17 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

What kind of guitar are you trying to learn? I can't really help with Classical, but I can help with chords, power chords, and such... :bounce:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2005, 1:30 pm 

I have a sister how taught herself to play using 'how to'
books. She's awesome at it too. She's teaching me right now.
I'd tell you the books she used but they are old, so they probably don't sell them anymore. I don't know where she's got them these days
to be able to go and tell you the names anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2005, 9:18 pm 
Maia
Maia

I've mostly taught myself, idk i just have a book of chords and i play around with sheet music and stuff. I really want to take lessons and i'm looking into it, but right now i'm fine without them. My dad is a really good guitar player (but he is gone most of the time so he dosn't have time to teach me) and he never took lessons. just don't give up!!! (i feel like it sometimes)

<center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2005, 11:28 pm 
Elf
Elf

mErRy! wrote:
What kind of guitar are you trying to learn? I can't really help with Classical, but I can help with chords, power chords, and such... :bounce:

Just a cheap Jasmine by Takamiene (spelling not right) acoustic guitar.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2005, 1:47 am 
Elf
Elf

Location: I fly back and forth between Grobania and Middle-earth

Well, I can't say I play the guitar. I don't have any chords memorized. Boo! Nor can I strum. You would think after nine years of piano I could pick out something! Lol! I know a guy who taught himself how to play with John Denver. Took him a while, but now he can pick out stuff like you wouldn't believe.

With all instruments, patience is essential! Oh brother is it essential...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2005, 9:37 am 
Istari
Istari

I tought myself various things on the guitar and bass. The easist thing i found to learn from were tabs. They mostly just lay out how to play songs, but they helped my to push myself to learn harder songs.
Just go on google and type guitar tabs, there are thousands of sites out there to look at.

[!*#_:]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2005, 2:26 pm 
Elf
Elf

Cool! That's great your learning guitar. I'm learning it right now. My dad is teaching me, but I'm playing a actual guitar, not a electrical one. Like it peels off the tip of your fingers, but it's good to learn it before. I love the guitar, it's such a beautiful instrument.

Capt. Jack: Shoot him and cut out his tongue! Then shoot his tongue!..and trim that scraggly beard.

yAAAy! The <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc20071218_443372.htm">Hobbit movie</a> is back on!!! Movie buffs get excited!

Profile       WWW