Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 1st, 2017, 11:42 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
User avatar

Joined: 02 January 2007
Posts: 2724
Location: The Lakeshore of Annúminas
Country: Gondor (xg)

Offline
Marida wrote:
When Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980, Mom says there was ash on our patio, and we're quite a bit north of Washington state (in another country, to be honest). I was only 8 at the time, and don't remember much about it (except what I learned about it in school). We were living in a condo at the time, but only lived in the upstairs part and rented out the downstairs (or at least I think that's where we lived, since it's such a long time ago). Even my favorite fictional places have volcanoes (which is why the Jurassic World sequel has me a bit on edge, to say the least, but perhaps I'm being a little too paranoid here, since even Middle-earth has a volcano, perhaps even more than one, since it's been a while since I've read any of the books).


I remember that day. The deep low frequency 'thud' woke me up. Woke my 1 year old son up too. Didn't know it was Mt St Helens until they announced it on the radio. Was living in Renton then. It was a bit cloudy, but it was clear to the south, and I could see the plume rising.


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 10:55 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 2011
Posts: 146
Country: Sweden (se)
Gender: Female

Offline
Hanasian wrote:
Marida wrote:
When Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980, Mom says there was ash on our patio, and we're quite a bit north of Washington state (in another country, to be honest). I was only 8 at the time, and don't remember much about it (except what I learned about it in school). We were living in a condo at the time, but only lived in the upstairs part and rented out the downstairs (or at least I think that's where we lived, since it's such a long time ago). Even my favorite fictional places have volcanoes (which is why the Jurassic World sequel has me a bit on edge, to say the least, but perhaps I'm being a little too paranoid here, since even Middle-earth has a volcano, perhaps even more than one, since it's been a while since I've read any of the books).


I remember that day. The deep low frequency 'thud' woke me up. Woke my 1 year old son up too. Didn't know it was Mt St Helens until they announced it on the radio. Was living in Renton then. It was a bit cloudy, but it was clear to the south, and I could see the plume rising.


I absolutely realize that it was a huge disaster and that there were victims of it, not least the probable consequences for nature/animal life when the side of the mountain collapsed a.s.f., but... wow that's cool.

_________________
~ From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king. ~


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 3:12 pm 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 05 March 2017
Posts: 1291
Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
Country: Germany (de)
Gender: Male

Offline
Nobody, anywhere on the entire planet, is going to be happy when Yellowstone blows up … :confused2:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2017, 11:33 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight
User avatar

Joined: 04 November 2005
Posts: 18634
Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!
Gender: Male

Offline
Yeah, there are a lot of dangers with volcanoes, but most eruptions are actually quite harmless to my understanding.

_________________
Image

Image

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!


Top
 Profile       WWW     YIM        
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 3:02 pm 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 05 March 2017
Posts: 1291
Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
Country: Germany (de)
Gender: Male

Offline
Unfortunately there are regions (Philippines, Hawaii, Indonesia – all part of the Pacific Ocean “Ring of Fire”) where population density near a volcano is a recipe for disaster (think Vesuvius and the annihilation of Pompeii and Herculaneum in 79 AD, near modern Naples, but much more destructive than that).

Mount St. Helens in 1980? Practically no human habitation. Krakatoa, or Krakatau (in Indonesia) in 1883? Much bigger eruption by far, and with more than 35,000 (human) deaths. And still far more massive in explosive power, Tambora (also in Indonesia) in 1815 (there was some stuff about a nutcase Corsican in Europe that year). Led to the “year without summer” practically world-wide in 1816. And then Toba, a bit speculative, perhaps 75,000 years ago, makes everything else I’ve mentioned look like a wimpy firecracker. Closer to the dinosaur-killing (except them boids, as some Brooklynites would say) Yucatán asteroid than any previous volcanic chicken-droppings crackers. Much, much longer ago, there may have been some REALLY nasty volcanic stuff – in Siberia, the Deccan plateau of India – but all of this took place during the lifetime of our VERY ancient ancestors. Some speculate that the 75,000-years–ago Toba catastrophe may have brought Homo sapiens to the edge of extinction. And some still begrudge that Toba just didn’t go that extra mile to make sure of the extinction.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 4th, 2017, 7:29 pm 
Istari
Istari
User avatar

Joined: 21 November 2014
Posts: 2981
Location: Angband & Mordor
Country: Canada (ca)
Gender: Female

Offline
We seem to be such a happy group with our discussions of volcanoes, political farces, and other related (or not) issues. :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 1:41 pm 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 05 March 2017
Posts: 1291
Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
Country: Germany (de)
Gender: Male

Offline
Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
We seem to be such a happy group with our discussions of volcanoes, political farces, and other related (or not) issues. :lol:

All of the potential disasters which might ultimately prevent us from posting here (and by posting implicitly answering the Post subject with “yes”). I guess we’ve all seen too many disaster movies of all ilks. :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 5th, 2017, 7:22 pm 
Istari
Istari
User avatar

Joined: 21 November 2014
Posts: 2981
Location: Angband & Mordor
Country: Canada (ca)
Gender: Female

Offline
Well, since we're speaking of disasters, I see California has been hit with some more wild fires. Not something you want to see this time of the year (or any time of the year).

ROFLMAO - I misspelled California and spellcheck gave me "Fornicator" as an option.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 12:05 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan
User avatar

Joined: 02 April 2011
Posts: 146
Country: Sweden (se)
Gender: Female

Offline
Gandolorin wrote:
Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
We seem to be such a happy group with our discussions of volcanoes, political farces, and other related (or not) issues. :lol:

All of the potential disasters which might ultimately prevent us from posting here (and by posting implicitly answering the Post subject with “yes”). I guess we’ve all seen too many disaster movies of all ilks. :lol:


Well if it is something that puts me in a good mood it is disaster movies so I'm pretty happy :D

_________________
~ From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king. ~


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 12:22 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight
User avatar

Joined: 04 November 2005
Posts: 18634
Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!
Gender: Male

Offline
Lol Gotta love the random discussion that this place can drum up!

_________________
Image

Image

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!


Top
 Profile       WWW     YIM        
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 12:59 pm 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 05 March 2017
Posts: 1291
Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
Country: Germany (de)
Gender: Male

Offline
Well yes, some threads start out on a topic and then get sidetracked – kind of hijacked (or was that HiJaxed? :lol: )

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 4:01 pm 
Istari
Istari
User avatar

Joined: 21 November 2014
Posts: 2981
Location: Angband & Mordor
Country: Canada (ca)
Gender: Female

Offline
Does anybody in this place follow ice hockey, other than me?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 11:00 pm 
Elf
Elf
User avatar

Joined: 05 March 2017
Posts: 1291
Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.
Country: Germany (de)
Gender: Male

Offline
I don’t. For some reason, the only US sport that ever caught my fancy was baseball … :confused2:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 10:34 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
User avatar

Joined: 02 January 2007
Posts: 2724
Location: The Lakeshore of Annúminas
Country: Gondor (xg)

Offline
Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
Does anybody in this place follow ice hockey, other than me?

I try to, but coverage is spotty at best here. There is an alehouse in the city with a Canadian ex-pat manager who usually has NHL on one of the big screens.

_________________
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Dunedain Ranger of the North
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Top
 Profile                  
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 11:56 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight
User avatar

Joined: 04 November 2005
Posts: 18634
Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!
Gender: Male

Offline
Gandolorin wrote:
Well yes, some threads start out on a topic and then get sidetracked – kind of hijacked (or was that HiJaxed? :lol: )



Hehe honestly Gandolorin... I have no idea WHAT you are talking about?!

_________________
Image

Image

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!


Top
 Profile       WWW     YIM        
 
 Post subject: Re: Anyone here? ^^
PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 1:06 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
User avatar

Joined: 02 January 2007
Posts: 2724
Location: The Lakeshore of Annúminas
Country: Gondor (xg)

Offline
Jax Nova wrote:
Gandolorin wrote:
Well yes, some threads start out on a topic and then get sidetracked – kind of hijacked (or was that HiJaxed? :lol: )



Hehe honestly Gandolorin... I have no idea WHAT you are talking about?!


:lol: me either ... He is afterall retired and watches squirrels for a pastime ... :yes:

_________________
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Dunedain Ranger of the North
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Top
 Profile                  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Boyz theme by Zarron Media 2003