Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Great Browser Debate
PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 1:51 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

K I just switched to Chrome a few days ago... and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. *beep* Firefox.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 8:20 pm 
Ent
Ent

Eä wrote:
Hiya browser-knowledgable people!

When I use Firefox 4.0.1 I think, I experienced the browser freezes sometimes when I try to open a link or watch a video.. And it freezes all the other brower windows too so I have to restart them. (not other browser windows though).
Why? And what can I do?

My IE used to do the same. I would get a 'Global host stopped working' message up to multiple times a day but it seems to have stopped now, fortunately. Since it was driving me nuts... I've tried Google Crome but I haven't figured out how to customize it so for now I just think it's annoying...

Hmm, if it has happened to you in both browsers, it may be a computer problem and not the browser.

I have not experienced freezes with the latest version of Firefox (FF 4), and I didn't with the previous ones either. The only time when I get funky action is when Google Images leads me to an effed up site where the image is hosted. >:(

Do you use tabs or individual windows? (although it shouldn't really matter)

I have no idea. How old is your computer?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 12:42 pm 

Yeah.. I thought I have a cool anti-virus program since I've never had problems (and I've used it for 5-6 years on two computers)... but it might be it.. This computer is only two years old...

I use both single windows and windows with multible tabs. When FF freezes in one window it usually freezes the other tabs and windows too (but not my IE windows or other programs).

IE actually stopped freezing and shutting down on me, so yay for the browser gods smiling at me here. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 6:36 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I use Google Chrome at work, and Firefox on my home laptop. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. If I'm using my wife's MacBook, I use Forefox or Safari. Chrome response seems to lag on the Mac platform.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 2:02 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I haven't tried Opera or Safari, and I despise Explorer, other than that I seem to stick to Firefox-based browsers like Pale Moon (my current browser) and Ice Dragon.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 3:46 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I used IE by default in “my” company for years. Recently, the options to use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox cropped up for some reasons that I never quite was able to figure out. With my retirement looming and the whole alternative-browser business seeming to be something for colleagues who travelled with their notebooks and users of notepads and smartphones, my need to figure out any details fizzled quickly. My computer shop installed Firefox (and Thunderbird for e-mails) which I’m quite satisfied with. There’s one little twist to the browser discussion that makes me perhaps more jaded about MS stuff and a bit partial towards Mozilla. In a large software development program moving our company from own-programmed mainframe stuff to the client-server architecture with programs bought from outside, Netscape Navigator was the browser of choice, and quite rightly so compared to the IE. IE had been something like Excel or Word or later the Office suites, something to be bought separately from the OS system. MS got annoyed that Netscape was hammering its pathetic IE of the day and decided to declare IE as part of the OS, so basically making it free, with the only goal to destroy Netscape, which succeeded. As we all know (do we?) this turned the MS crap in the Internet to Hacker’s Hog Heaven. I don’t know if MS has to date entirely recovered from this forcing the IE to become part of the OS. Netscape then morphed into Mozilla, so using their stuff gives me a slight sense (however justified – but hey! perception defines reality!) of gleeful revenge. :fish: