Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Family Tree Situation
PostPosted: December 6th, 2011, 4:37 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Location: Running around a Family Dollar asking if they sell tasers... >:D

Like I said before, I'm willing to help out with whatever! Just nothing too long termish if you see what I mean! :lol:

I think a new one would be easier seeing as how most of us weren't here when there were the old trees and many of the old members are not active anymore.

Thanks!!

Mark Twain

Banners: A-U.com

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 12:46 am 
Istari
Istari

Anythin happening with this Tree stuff yet?

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 5:10 pm 

No.. I'm afraid we need a person who can step up and take charge of this to get things moving. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 3:35 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I am still kind of in the dark and wouldn't know how to get it started. Otherwise, I would. Sorry! :(

Mark Twain

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 1:52 am 
Istari
Istari

In the same boat as Aerliniel, have no clue what to do and i would probably screw it up. Shame, it sounded like fun!

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 5:52 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Mm hm. Aw Lithi! It does sound like fun! Should we just start a completely new family tree with the ideas we have or wait for one of the older members?

Mark Twain

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 11:32 pm 
Istari
Istari

I have no clue, I'm still tryin to work out how everything is all connected and who the startin people of the trees are and what not. So I dont even know where or how to start! :(

PostPosted: December 31st, 2011, 11:43 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yeah. I think we could start a new thing and ask who used to be "related" to who. And if anyone replies, we can ask them how it worked?

Mark Twain

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 12:56 am 
Istari
Istari

Is there anyone who started the trees still around? Or anyone who maybe was involved with them for a while, whether they be co-creator or just a member of a tree? If they dont want to be involved in the new ones, maybe they could just answer some questions we have about gettin them started. Or maybe start a new thread that is a sort of Family Tree sign up, just to see how many people really are interested in gettin one going, or see if anyone who was already involved in a tree would want to help start up the new ones and be a part of those? Response may be a little tough right now probably because people are enjoying the holidays.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 2:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have already said that I'd be willing to help out, but I've also been told to wait each time I've said that so.. :erm:

I wasn't around when the trees were started but I was fairly active in one. To be honest if they were getting started again, and there was only going to be one, the only question I'd have would be whose line would it be? The way they worked by the point I joined is you asked to join, and the first person who came along and wanted to 'adopt' you did. It's fine to do that again, but at first those getting 'adopted' would be directly under the head of the line, and yeah.. that gets me back to who would that be? Or would it just be a name, and those in charge of organising it just added them directly under the head of the line until there were a few, and then it would go back to the old system?

I'm going to say it again, though it may be pointless, I'm willing to help out. I lurk on AU a lot more than I post these days because I'm busy with college and work, but I'm always about. I would happily put myself forward to do what Larael used to do in terms of keeping the first post in order unless that's a job for the mods?

Also, in terms of who was related to who.. that's a difficult one for the line I was in because I had no idea exactly how I was technically related to the people there because of the many branches. I'm not sure about the other lines because I didn't really check them, but other than knowing who adopted you, and if you had brothers/sisters/etc, I think it'd be the same. When it gets to second/third cousins etc, it gets a little confusing ;)

I guess one way to do that would be a similar thing to the spouses? If people want to be related in the same way they were before, and the person/people they want to be related to say the same then it's not that hard to sort that out once everything is up again.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to. I hesitated in posting again but there you have it. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 1st, 2012, 11:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Sorry, must have missed your earlier post! But yay! Someone wants to help! It would be much appreciated! I think thats our main roadblock right now, is who's gonna be the founder of the lines, pretty much just gettin started. Me and Aerli weren't around during the lines and wasnt even involved in any of them. I want to help but I find the task a little daunting. So were the founders of the lines AU members or where they just random names made up for the lines? (I noticed webmaster Arwen was one of the lines so I was wonderin if it was all users who were founders)

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 12:14 am 
Istari
Istari

Ok, just posted up a topic asking how many people are interested in bein a part of a Family Tree, just to sorta ball park how many people are interested in even being in one right now. Hopefully we get some good feedback.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 12:02 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I wasn't around when the lines started, but I know how they generally worked. I think anyone who started a line could have.

But if we had one line... why don't we have it as one of the line heads that is still around? Isn't Erulisse still around? I know her line wasn't as popular as say... Herenya's, since Herenya's line had more people.

But what if we did this.... It's all Arwen's line. (Arwen Undomiel) since that's who the site is named after. And we have maybe 3 people(I almost would say Mods) that would be the "direct descendant" of Arwen. And from them branches off the rest of the tree. So we're all essencially the same family tree, but since Arweb isn't around enough for this, we'd have people to bring in the descendants, as in, accept them into the line or "adopt" people.

But as it worked to be adopted, you go into the thread of the tree you wanted to be part of and say "hey, I want to join this family" and usually the first person that comes along would be like "Hey, I'd be willing to adopt you!" and the person who started the thread would put you down as that person's son/daughter.

But maybe first thing we should establish is who the heads are. And like I said before, I think it should be three(keep it to three for now) moderately active moderators.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 1:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The original lines were a selection of the mods I think, but I can't be sure.

I think we could really just stick with calling it Arwen's Line and leaving it at that. If the mods want to be the direct descendants then that would work, but I think that while they would be different branches, it'd all be in the same place, one thread? I'm not sure if that's exactly what you meant?

But yeah, I don't think the head of the line/next few descendants need to be entirely active as it can be done by others adopting people for them, as long as that was okay. When it gets a little further into it, people really should have a say in who they adopt etc but if the mods didn't want to be directly involved because they've got other stuff to do, and they were made to be the first/direct descendants, we'd need to see if they were okay with that etc.

I don't think we need more than one line. I think that with the amount of people who seem interested, we could stick with one, and if it gets too full because more people are interested, or we get new members coming in, we can start another one when needed. I just think it'll be better if everyone is sort of together at the moment seeing as we're restarting. Just my thoughts :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 4:05 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Well, what I meant is that we are all part of Arwen's line, and that there pretty much is one thread for the family tree. But since Arweb isn't here to start the adoption process, then who starts it? Unless we have people chosen to be the direct descendants of Arwen to go from there.

And for the marriages, I say we free up every fictional character and it's first come first serve because a lot of characters would be taken by people who no longer attend the site, which wouldn't be fair to the newer members. Or we could asked the before married if they would like to keep their spouses, and if they don't reply by a certain date, then we free up that character/actor/person....

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2012, 5:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That's what I thought as well, and that's a question for the mods I think. If they don't want to be part of the family tree, or at least not at the start, then I guess it'd just be a case of the first few people to join would automatically be adopted, and then from there it's like it used to be.

Kind of like I suggested here? :P I think it's only fair to let people re-claim their spouses, even if they're not as active as others. I'm happy to organise that but like I've said, I've usually been told to wait. I'll say it again, if no one has any objections I plan to put together a post about spouses/re-claiming old ones/claiming new ones etc with a deadline for the re-claiming bit. I'm just waiting at the moment, seeing what else people have to say.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next