Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 43  Next

Do you like Coffee?
No 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
Yes 69%  69%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Re: Coffee??????
PostPosted: November 18th, 2017, 4:19 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I kept it to three cups today. Two when I got up early to deal with whatever the cat was going on about, and one later after a morning nap.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 2:33 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
Gandolorin wrote:
We went through a full pot (nominally 12 cups) and a reduced pot (nominally 7 cups) today. Then we went shopping and arrived back home without incident. :)
Are you some sort of "who can drink the most coffee in a day" competition with Jax? :lol:

When I just think back on the dosage of coffee powder spoons per nominal cups of water over say the last 40 years, we have reduced such dosage from well over one spoon per cup to well under. Of course both spoon and cup are terms with a wide margin of scientifically measured volume. As I mentioned elsewhere, my wife is now very finicky about the amount of water in our current coffee machine, as am I with the amount of coffee powder in the near-laboratory-precision of the spoons supplied with our last two coffee machines. The older flatter and wider, the newer deeper and narrower, but agreeing in volume to an astonishing degree. So our current coffee brew might leave Jax, Hanasían, yourself and some others wishing for some instant coffee to upgrade the unsatisfactory “torque”. :p

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 3:52 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Gandolorin wrote:
So our current coffee brew might leave Jax, Hanasían, yourself and some others wishing for some instant coffee to upgrade the unsatisfactory “torque”. :p
I never drink instant coffee. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a cup of instant coffee. Perhaps your instant coffee is better than ours, which is a pathetic imitation of the real thing.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 4:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
Gandolorin wrote:
So our current coffee brew might leave Jax, Hanasían, yourself and some others wishing for some instant coffee to upgrade the unsatisfactory “torque”. :p
I never drink instant coffee. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a cup of instant coffee. Perhaps your instant coffee is better than ours, which is a pathetic imitation of the real thing.

I’m not suggesting that you install instant coffee as your regular caffeine “fix”, E~S. I’m just considering that what we imbibe regularly as coffee (as a liquid) might induce you to “upgrade” our coffee with instant coffee available to you. Again, I am ignorant about what sort of instant coffee may be available where you live. We have some drinkable stuff here …

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 6:45 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I generally use about one Tablespoon of grounds per 12 oz. Of water Gandolorin. Honestly not sure what other people around here use but it must be less because most other places I drink coffee it just always tastes watery.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 12:18 am 
Istari
Istari

Jax Nova wrote:
I generally use about one Tablespoon of grounds per 12 oz. Of water Gandolorin. Honestly not sure what other people around here use but it must be less because most other places I drink coffee it just always tastes watery.

MEH! As per Wiki, the US fluid ounce is one sixteenth of a US liquid pint (to use a volume term I’m more familiar with => Pippin at Bree in the movie “It comes in pints???” ;-) ). One US floz is thus about 29.57 ml, one US pint about 473 ml, and 12 US floz about 355 ml. (Imperial unts: imp floz one twentieth of an imp pint or 28.4 ml, making the imp pint 568 ml. Now I know why I prefer drinking beer in British territory more than in US territory – at least it’s one of the reasons ;-) ) But then TABLESPOON!!! Precisely (sort of) defined in cooking, but again the Brits and Yanks (never mind the Ozzies / Strayans) can’t agree on the exact amount. And when it comes to cutlery – oh dear. While it might be roughly useful for liquids, for “heapable” powdery things like coffee ground (or flour) there is a large margin of error. And last, on the other hand, I have no idea whether “cups” as per the readings on the various coffee machines we have owned are comparable. All (as far as I remember) had two scales, one for “small cups”, one for “large cups”. For what it’s worth, when I mentioned “cups” above, I meant “large cups”. :swoon:

But one indication of the “torque” of you homemade coffee would be that all “away” coffees taste watery to you … :boing:

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 6:58 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

WHO pollutith thy thread with instant coffee speak? Bleh! Stir some burnt dirt into hot water. (it is somewhat drinkable if it's Folgers and it's all there is)

Been giving the Swiss Chocolate coffee a break and enjoying the Blackstar Revolution Espresso roast of late.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 10:22 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Haha, I will pretend like I caught most of that Gandolorin! :p But ueah, there is a ton of difference when it comes to measurements from one country to the next. Basically six US onces wpuld probably equate to one of yoir small cups I would imagine. (Pretty small cup for my coffee habbit anyways.)

LOL Hanasian, I must agree. Instant coffee is... *shudders* Barely bearable! I have only ever drank once kind I sort of liked. It was called Don Pedro. It actually had a decent coffee flavor with a hint of molasses. (Which if done right, molasses can add a great flavor to coffee)

So since I almost liked their instant coffee I thought... their actuall coffe HAS to be worth trying. @_@ HECK NO!!! That is the ONLY brand of coffee that i have ever tried where their instant coffee tasts better than their coffee grounds brewed in a coffee pot. O_o I don’t know what the heck they do to it but their coffee was nasty.... :dizzy: :dizzy: :yuck:

PostPosted: November 20th, 2017, 11:01 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
Haha, I will pretend like I caught most of that Gandolorin! :p But ueah, there is a ton of difference when it comes to measurements from one country to the next.

..... or one country and the rest of the world .... :whistle:

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 4:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hanasian wrote:
Jax Nova wrote:
Haha, I will pretend like I caught most of that Gandolorin! :p But ueah, there is a ton of difference when it comes to measurements from one country to the next.

... with the civilzed world using the metric system ... :tongue:

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 7:01 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Lol well, either or. I won’t claim our country is civilized... I’ve lives here too long for that! :p

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 12:23 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Gandolorin wrote:
Hanasian wrote:
Jax Nova wrote:

... with the civilzed world using the metric system ... :tongue:

:lol: I love confusing people at work by referring to 'inches'.
That said, the TV's manufactured in China or some other Asian countries and sold here in Australia are still advertised as 55" or 65" or such, not 140 cm or 165 cm... and the Subway Sandwiches are eithe 6" or 12", not 15cm or 30cm ... go figure.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 2:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, use of the metric system might be the last remnant of civilization left in those countries who have adopted it. And even in Germany, at least the terminology of the metric system is not used stringently.

This might be a generational thing and slowly fading out, but the term “Pfund” is / was used quite frequently for weight measurement. Like a pound of coffee, which simply means 500 grams or half a kilogram (one running joke is that one gains weight in kilograms, while weight loss is usually given in pounds …). And as for TV set measurements, the term “Zoll” (which also means customs duty) is routinely used, basically the inch, but also metricized in that it means precisely 25 mm, while the “true” inch measures 25.4 mm. Rather strange, that preference for the “Zoll” term, as 107 cm looks “bigger” in a sense than 42 “Zoll”. For motor vehicles, the “Pferdestärke” or PS (hp) is still much more popular than the “sanctioned” term “Kilowatt” (which is the one to be found in the vehicle papers), as 1 Kw equates to about 1.36 PS (and one “metric” PS is about 1.1 inch-based hp, as 1 “metric” Pfund – 500 grams – is about 1.1 lbs), so 148 PS sound more impressive than 108 Kw.

Which kind of brings us back to the (probably) high “torque” of Jax’s homemade coffee which he brews using those “barbarian” measurements … :lol:

Last edited by Gandolorin on November 22nd, 2017, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 3:21 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Lol Well heck, I learned to make coffee from watching Hidalgo.

In the words of Frank T Hopkins, “Back home we toss a horseshoe in the pot. When it stands on end, coffee’s done.”

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 9:22 pm 
Istari
Istari

Jax Nova wrote:
Lol Well heck, I learned to make coffee from watching Hidalgo.

In the words of Frank T Hopkins, “Back home we toss a horseshoe in the pot. When it stands on end, coffee’s done.”

:laugh:
Something of that sort cropped up in one of the best European comic series of all time, the satirical western "Lucky Luke", created by Belgian cartoonist Morris or Maurice De Bevere back in 1946; being the "wisdom" of the chuck wagon cook of a cattle drive who obviously has had one such drive (at least) too many. :lol:

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 11:07 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hehe sounds about right! ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 43  Next