Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Actors that Turns You On or Away from Films
PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 12:04 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I love Xena and Captain Kirk but I don't like Lucy Lawless or William Shatner personally.

Also I will say when they discuss politics of any kind rather I agree or not turns me off. Artist should discuss art and be above politics.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 5:16 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Exactly, Thranduil. Love the Character hate the actor! haha But yeah, I guess some times that can be hard. Other times not so much.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: August 12th, 2017, 7:06 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Thranduil wrote:
I love Xena and Captain Kirk but I don't like Lucy Lawless or William Shatner personally.

Also I will say when they discuss politics of any kind rather I agree or not turns me off. Artist should discuss art and be above politics.

The only thing I could stand William Shatner in was as Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek. The low budget matched with his overacting was a match made in heaven. Not that I liked him in it all that much, for I liked others much better and it was their characters who carried the show. I didn't dislike him though. Just 'meh'.

As for actors having opinions, they are indeed entitled to them. It's when they try and come off and sell themselves as "experts" on subjects because they are famous actors that I hate (Gwyneth Paltrow, for example, is no 'food expert')

Willem Defoe is an actor I will take notice of if I see him billed in a movie or TV show.
And Barbara Streisand has always rubbed me the wrong way. Not that she is in much these days, but I usually stayed away from anything she starred in through the years. And don't get me started on Tom Cruise...

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 16th, 2017, 3:24 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm not a fan of many of the actors/actresses of the so-called 'Golden Age' of movies. Jimmy Stewart comes to mind as an actor I've never been able to like. I find most of the acting of the period stilted and hammy.

Personally, I think actors and actresses of today are far superior.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2017, 10:40 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I confess that I am utterly NOT up to date on movie actors (meaning female as well as male hereafter), never mind TV actors. I just have the vague feeling, very much so from the EE DVDs of the six PJ Middle-earth movies, that due to the technical possibilities of current digital movie-making, directors are able to atomize their movies into fairly tiny snippets of takes, and have dozens of versions of each take. So what actually makes it into the cinema is almost entirely a director’s decision (what effects the suited trolls lurking in the background may have is usually mostly invisible).

It’s a different matter when actors are box-office stars, sort of the guarantee (sometimes failing) of making a movie a block-buster. More so, if less visible to the public, when actors also have other roles, themselves being among the suited trolls in the background. The 1960 Kirk Douglas film “Spartacus” comes to mind. By now a centenarian, Kirk was also the executive producer of the film. It was ultimately directed by the then still rather unknown Stanley Kubrick, after Kirk had removed the original director Anthony Mann after a week of shooting. Kirk and Stanley had already collaborated on the 1957 “Paths of Glory”, an anti-war film about French soldiers in WW I. As per Wikipedia, “Spartacus” “is the only film directed by Kubrick where he did not have complete artistic control”. As people including Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, John Cassavetes, Jack Nicholson, perhaps Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman may consider Kubrick to be the greatest director they have ever experienced, he’s probably a top contender for that (of course disputable) title. Kubrick didn’t make that many film. But my DVD collection includes such “obscure” flicks as “Lolita”, “2001: A Space Odyssey”, “A Clockwork Orange”, “Barry Lyndon”, “The Shining”, “Full Metal Jacket” (with “Platoon” and “Apocalypse Now” the greatest Vietnam War film of all time) and “Eyes Wide Shut”. Missing from this collection is “Dr. Strangelove”, in which Peter Sellers had a triple role, perhaps his best performance of all time.

What was I trying to say? Erm … While Kubrick may have had some control freak aspects that PJ also showed (I believe Kubrick was infamous for multiple takes in an age where each take cost, literally also in dollars, actual film footage (or rather yardage) of cellulose-based material. But he also allowed his actors enough leeway to take credit – or, should it happen for whatever reason, blame – for the end product.

Well, Kubrick died in 1999. How much blame we can apportion to actors since then for what ends up on the screen – hard to say, but I have my above-mentioned suspicions.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 8:50 am 
Vala
Vala

Because of the latest news: Kevin Spacey

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 7:34 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Mickey Rourke ..... he was a half decent looking guy before he had all the plastic surgery. Now he looks like an offspring of Freddie Krueger.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 12:57 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Mark Wahlberg is another actor I do enjoy watchimg. I habe seem several of his movies. To be honest, he does play a similar character innthe movies I have seen, but I like that type of character. Some of his movies Incan thinknof right off are, The Italian Job (loved that movie) Shooter... (and that one :p ) and the Transformers movies The last Knight and age of extinction. (Which was one of my least favorites of him but still a fun movie.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2017, 11:34 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Tom Cruise was awesome in “Born on the Fourth of July” (from 1989 – it has been a while), but since then he’s been more of a turn-off for me.