Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 10:37 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I much prefer him without the beard though. :-)

Nope, not me even though I was definitely used to him cleanshaven, I admit I was incredulous at first that that was really him. I even resorted to going to the BBC America Coupling board and asking if anyone had seen a picture of Davenport with a beard to see if that scruffy pirate could really be him. I quickly found out that, yes, Norrington was rumoured to be "different" this time out, but, no, no one had a picture to assure me. However, a UK Cosmo shoot remedied that and I fell in love with the beard. Yes, I love him without it as well, but the beard accentuated his new thinner, more mature features.

Banana_Republic wrote:
I don't care if he reads a phone book

I'd pay to hear him read the phone book!

johnnyjack&orlifan6422 wrote:
definitely going to go way up there in my list of Jack Dav's best comedic performances

One question...have you seen Gotcha?

Unfortunately, this is still not on Youtube, to me this has the best comedic Jack Davenport moment of all time, which is saying a lot, I know. It's not even a Steve rant...but have you seen Wedding Crashers?

I'll pretend like you haven't, Vince Vaughn's girlfriend gives him a little something extra under the dinner table if you know what I mean and it's at a family dinner.

Well, Gotcha, which was first, has a very similar scene except it's done for a bit of revenge so Steve gets that "special treatment" in PUBLIC at a fancy restaurant and when he's most "excited," Susan calls the waiter
over, leaving him to make excuses like, "I re-really like duck!"

I'm laughing, just thinking about it.

Ooh, how I wish he had the lead in a comedy feature film...that would be like the best thing ever!

Although I found him incredibly funny in both films especially when he's around Johnny. They have to put those two together again in AWE!

Yay, I always encourage watching of Chariots of Fire, it's such a good film. I even used it as a presentation in film class, there was a special term for when you hear the sound before the you see the action causing it and it's used in a scene in Chariots of Fire, but I was really impressed by that term's use in DMC because the beating of Jones' heart can be heard INTO the next scene which is a great twist on the usual use, but the traditional use immediately follows the twist because you hear Will's knife being stabbed into the wood before you see him do it.

I'm not making any sense, am I?

Quote:
Oh, yes, gotta love those UK accents (British, Irish, Scottish, etc.) !

Ooh, Scottish... (drools)
Davy Jones and Fat Bastar* are the only characters that I haven't found extremely sexy for having a Scottish accent.

Johnny's Fan-

I like the length his real hair is at now where it's kind of shaggy, but not overpowering.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 10:59 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hmm...I think I just like clean shaven blokes although he would look quite dashing in Pirates if he kept his hair back (like Will). :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2006, 4:34 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Johnny's Fan- Hey there, JF :hiya:! That makes sense. I'm sure if I'd been more familiar with him before Pirates, I'd probably still be adjusting to seeing him bearded, too. Since I wasn't though, it isn't too big of a shock to see him that way, not even when compared to the number of Coupling episodes I've seen, where he's clean-shaven. I'm not sure why that is, because if one were to look closely at a picture of him clean-shaven in, say, Coupling, and one of him bearded in DMC or out of character now, side-by-side, the difference is really quite striking. For one thing, he looks older (and I don't mean that in terms of the fact that he's now in his thirties, whereas in Coupling, he was probably in his mid- to late twenties); for another, his hair is quite a bit longer (it probably creeps just over the top or middle of his shirt collar when he's wearing one that style, rather than just barely touches the top of it, as it did before).
Quote:
I think it's a bit long though, it goes way too much under his chin.
If you're talking about the beard, yes, I know what you mean. In the first pictures I saw of him in DMC, that's one of the first things I noticed, especially in the early ones: his beard was fuller near his neck than it was on his face. In more recent pictures of him though, both in and out of character (e.g. the one I posted a few posts up, the ones from the DMC premiere in London, etc.), it looks as if it's started to even out somewhat (that is, there's not a noticeable difference in how full it is on his face and around his neck). It certainly is amazing what someone can talk about when they're really attracted to an actor :lol:, ;)!

I'd have to agree (about how dashing he'd look with his hair pulled back), JF, but I like it down, too. He looks very Aragorn-like that way :-D (if you read my very first post, you'll see just what that implies ;)).

Erica-
Quote:
One question...have you seen Gotcha?
Yes and no. "Yes" because I was able to see that scene you're talking about and did find it quite funny (gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "playing footsy", doesn't it :vampire:? Naughty Susan :lol:!), "No" because I wasn't able to see it from the beginning :(. Hopefully, I'll be able to do that eventually. I'd really like to see it all the way through :yes:.

Quote:
Ooh, how I wish he had the lead in a comedy feature film...that would be like the best thing ever!
I certainly agree with you here, for the reason I mentioned in my previous post ;). It's true, his scenes with Johnny in part one were very funny (and it sounds like the ones they do together in DMC are as well), but in COTBP at least, it's a more subtle, controlled form of comedy. In "Her Best Friend's Bottom" (what, from now on, I'll call the "sofa parasite" episode), on the other hand, he pulls out all the stops and has a comedic set of lines that allow him to use all the different types of comedy: physical, "over-the-top" (his delivery of the "sofa parasite" rant), and the subtle type he did in COTBP, all making for a very good piece of comedic work.

Quote:
Ooh, Scottish... (drools)
Scottish and Irish accents are tied at the top of my "Hot Accents" list (I like to hear Liam Neeson's and Sean Connery's voices the way Johnny's Fan likes Jack Dav's :swoon:), with British ones coming in a pretty close second (Ralph Fiennes' and Jack Dav's as Norrington are two of those that fit in this category; Pierce Brosnan's, though he isn't a huge fave in terms of film actors, is another one).

Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2006, 6:38 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hey again! :-)

Lol, I read your first post and I understand now. ;) Although I think I still prefer him without the beard I liked the fact in DMC he could be Norrington as he is - without having to be incased in starched clothing and wear a powdered wig. He did look more like a "dashing hero" than the "stuffed shirt officer". I don't think it was just the hair and the beard that made me wary but mainly his whole outfit - Jack and Will may look rugged but at least they have clean (er) clothes! I just felt so sorry for him, I wanted to get out there with my washing machine! :lol:

I'm just wondering why Jack is still wearing his beard in real life, I would have thought there would be very few scenes (if any) in the next film that would require the "rugged" look?

My main worry is that he dies in the next film. That would be awful. James is such a good man. :guilty: But we'll still ahve good 'ol Jack! :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2006, 9:31 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hi there, JF :hiya:! You did? Cool, now you see where I'm coming from ;).

Quote:
I liked the fact in DMC he could be Norrington as he is - without having to be incased in starched clothing and wear a powdered wig.
I agree. Like I said in my first post on here (I think), the fact that Ted and Terry humanized Norrington starting at, I'd say, the end of COTBP, rather than keeping him, to use a personal description of Jack Dav's, "A shouting bloke with a triangular hat" (:lol:) was what got me to start liking him. After seeing enough pictures of him in DMC and reading/hearing enough about where the character was going to be taken in the next two films, I could confidently conclude that not only did "the Two T's" (that's the POTC fan nickname for Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, in case you hadn't heard it before) make him even more human, they completely ripped away any other protective layers they'd given him (e.g. his identification as a military man, his somewhat higher status in the class structure, etc.) when his character was first created, leaving a "bare bones" Norrington in his place: a noble, honorable man with a rather naive, narrow idea of good & evil and a broken heart (:(). Add a rugged, scruffy look to the mix, and I was sold :blush:!
Quote:
I just felt so sorry for him
Yes, dear James was in quite a sorry state in DMC, wasn't he :(? Seeing him brought down to such a wretched state makes you like him all the more, though, at least that's what I found to be my reaction.

:-D Ah yes, the current gnawing question on every Jack Davenport/Norrington fan's mind (in terms of those of the female persuasion, at least, including me ;)): Will he or won't he have the beard in POTC 3?/does he or doesn't he still have it now? My best answer to that is "the jury is still out", but personally, I have two different possibilities bouncing around in my head: (1) if the hints about POTC 3 from various insiders on KTTC, when they mention "ice cream", mean that Norry is wigged and clean-shaven right from the start, then no, Jack Dav no longer has the beard, since filming for POTC 3 started again yesterday (unless his scenes are all finished, of course), or (2) if those same hints are referring only to the end of the film, and there are very recent pictures of Jack Dav floating around on the internet in which he still has the beard, then yes, he's still sporting the scruffy look. That's about all I'm able to tell you in detail with what I know, which is really rather little :confused:. The only other thing I can tell you with surety is that he still had the beard not long after filming for DMC wrapped because he had a role in a stage play in London (could still have, for all I know) that required he be bearded and somewhat long-haired.

WARNING: POTC 3 Spoilers

In an early draft of the script (note I said early draft), that's what did happen to him, yes. However, according to Toebie, a very reliable insider on KTTC, though he is injured by Bootstrap Bill (that's the character who kills him in the draft I mentioned above), he does not die. Here's how Toebie puts it:
Quote:
You wouldn't suppose that 'ol Norrie wouldn't need to find a way to revenge Swann's death, would you? Atone for his sins? Perhaps take over the entire EIC? Try to make it a bit more respectable?

Additionally, Ted Elliot himself said there have already been major changes made in the script since then (and yes, it really is Ted ;). Toebie confirmed that for us, and the way both posts are written indicates that is definitely the identity of the individual). Here's Ted's post that addresses the above:
Quote:
Truth be told, the reason I posted in this thread is because of the quality of the draft that was posted. Like I said, it was needed for budget and scheduling purposes only, but it's nowhere near to being anything Terry and I would deliver to a studio otherwise -- let alone be content to have shot (there's already significant differences between what's been shot and what's in that draft; for instance, no one brings Will to Sao Feng as a prisoner).

I would not want anyone forming impressions or making judgments about the third movie based on that draft. "Rough" doesn't even begin to describe it adequately.

So, basically, you most likely don't have to worry about Norry dying in part three :). All of this info is on KTTC if you want to take a look for yourself. Toebie's hint about Norrington's fate and Ted Elliot's posts are both in the "Major Script Spoilers For POTC 3" thread on the Speculations and Spoilers part of the board. This is the web address for the KTTC forum: http://forums.keeptothecode.com//index.php?sid=4d2f7e405097f8561e40deceb726867b

Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 4th, 2006, 10:38 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Helloooooo johnny&orlifan6422 :bye2:

I'm not sure but I think I was one of the few people who appreciated Norrington before the deleted scenes were available and when DMC was just a rumour. I don't know what it was about Norrington but I just liked him. Because he was honourable, noble and that I could tell by the end of the film he would be broken hearted. :-( I also saw him as the outsider as he wasn't engaging in piratical acts but trying to stop them. But I really became a fan after watching the deleted scenes "Miss Swann, the very best of luck to you both"..so kind... :blush: So I was eagerly anticipating DMC...and I must admit it was a shock to see him looking scruffy as I had avoided learning anything of the new film. That's probably another reason why I'm wary of The Beard, but the more I see of him with it, the more I'm getting used to it. Just an excuse to look at him a lot really. :lol:

Ah, well if he is/was in a stage production that required a beard that may well be the reason he's still wearing one. As most likely the POTR production team could work round his timetable so any clean shaven Norrington scenes could be filmed at a later date. I am expecting in the next film a scene between the bearded Norrie and Beckett perhaps discussing something or other - or they may go for the "first-thing-you'll-see-of-Norrie-is-him-on-a-ship-looking-smart-again" approach. Either way would do I suppose.

YES! YESSS! Ha ha! I really thought he would die - as I think people think of him as the expendable character, as he's not one of the main three. Oh, I really hope he only gets injured. I could settle for that and then some nice nurse can look after him....;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2006, 12:18 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hi again, JF :bye2:!

Quote:
I must admit it was a shock to see him looking scruffy as I had avoided learning anything of the new film. That's probably another reason why I'm wary of The Beard, but the more I see of him with it, the more I'm getting used to it. Just an excuse to look at him a lot really.
:lol: That it is, JF, that it is ;)!

Either way would work for me too, though I hope if they use the second approach you mentioned, he won't have the wig. To summarize what I said in a post on KTTC where this same thing was discussed, if he must be tidy and clean-shaven, do it the right way (e.g. have him look like he did at the beginning of COTBP). I know from another insider's hint that he is going to have to wear the wig again, but I'm hoping it won't be during the entire course of POTC 3 :confused:. Still, there is one other possibility for his entrance in part three (assuming Jack Dav has shaved, obviously): we see him on a ship with a couple of days or so worth of stubble from being out at sea. That would be a good combination, I think- he can be scruffy and wear the wig without it looking odd, as it most definitely would if he was still bearded.

It also could provide a great device to move his character arc along. Another user on KTTC made a great point about the way the characters' dress reflects (1) their place in society, (2) their status, and (3) where the development of their character is at. Using Norrington as an example, she basically said the following: the wig, the hat, and the uniform are all symbolic of his role as a military man, his somewhat high status, and his traditional, somewhat conservative, rather narrow views. The fact that he still has all these physical symbols when we first see him in DMC shows that he's still holding desperately on to his identity before he made the mistake of ordering his crew to sail into a hurricane in order to catch Jack, and he hasn't yet undergone any major character development. When he surrenders two thirds (the wig and the hat) of these "status symbols" after coming aboard the Pearl as a member of Jack's crew, that's a signal that he's begun to undergo a transformation, both physical and internal.
(This is all my analysis) At the end of DMC, when he returns to Beckett with Davey Jones' heart, he's given back a part of that original identity (the military man) when Beckett makes him an admiral and returns the sword Will made for him to him, but he's still lacking the hat and the wig, so his transformation back into what he was pre-DMC, or something similar to it, is not yet complete, and it won't be until he has all three marks of that identity, plus his sword. The wig could fit into POTC 3 in that his decision to wear it or not (and alter the rest of his appearance accordingly) symbolizes the choice he must make between embracing that original identity (with the newly-added dimension and weight that some individuals in positions of power like that can be evil men out only for their personal gain, e.g. men like Beckett), completing his transformation into a pirate (albeit one under the control of the British crown), or becoming a new person that is neither, a person like Governor Swann, who realizes that the division between good & evil and "good men" & "bad men" isn't as black-and-white as it appears.

Yikes! that's a rather long explanation, isn't it :confuzzled:? I hope it makes sense :blush:! Catch you later :)!

Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2006, 9:36 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ooh, update on the "Clean-shaven or bearded?" question :)! Here's a pic of him at the opening night party for a play that's now running at a theatre in London (not sure if he's a cast member or just a guest), taken September 20th: Image
There's the answer to our question ;)! I like him with this look. The boyish cuteness is still there, but there's a bit of maturity to his appearance that works quite well with it, IMO. What do you guys think?

Well, that's about it. Just thought I'd pass this along :). Later :bye2:!

Alexis

Last edited by johnny&orlifan6422 on October 4th, 2006, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2006, 9:52 pm 
Vala
Vala

I love him in Coupling. (I've only seen a few episodes though)

And I have to say, I like him better with a beard

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2006, 3:29 am 
Balrog
Balrog

He is quite funny in Coupling for an Englishman. He did it very well. In POTC, he has given a life a very serious man. I think he can act in every area of cinema.

Will be going to London on March of the 30th

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2006, 6:38 pm 
Maia
Maia

Yesyes, Davenport is a terrific actor, in my opinion. He was my favorite character in PotC 1 and 2, just because of his lovable person.

I like him MUCH better with a beard though; it sort of adds a masculine and desperate look to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 1:16 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Nauriel- :hiya:! Great to see you around here again :)! I like him in "Coupling" a lot, too. Have you seen the episode "Her Best Friend's Bottom"? Along with the closing scene of "Gotcha", where Susan is playing a very, um, invasive version of "footsy" with Steve under the table during dinner at a very, very fancy restaurant , if you get my drift :vampire: (think that scene in the movie Wedding Crashers with Vince Vaughn's character and his girlfriend at family dinner, only ten times funnier ;)), the scene in the formerly mentioned episode where he goes off on a rant about "sofa parasites" (e.g. miniature cushions) is some of the funniest acting I've ever seen him do. Those two scenes were so hilarious that I was practically falling out of my chair laughing!

As for my opinion of whether he looks better with or without the beard, I'm trying to decide for sure. I'm still getting used to seeing him clean-shaven again. Right now, all I can really say is that there are things about both looks (bearded with the shaggy hairstyle, clean-shaven with it) that I like a lot (he is, of course, devastatingly sexy with the "DMC Norrington" look, no "stuck on the fence" attitude there ;D) 8). I'll get back to you on the question :).

Captain Faramir- It's nice to meet you, and my apologies for not welcoming you the first time you posted on this thread :confused:. Like I said in my response to Nauriel, I love him in Coupling :-D! He does a great job with the comedy in it, and with portraying the character. I remember reading in an online post somewhere that Steve could easily come off as a complete neurotic, but the way Jack portrays the character prevents that from happening, a big part of that probably being that he makes use of his own dry sense of humor when playing Steve.

Definitely agree with you about the fact that he could probably do well in any genre of film :yes:. I'm just now catching up on his work, but I've seen enough that I think I can confidently say that he's just as good at drama (e.g. certain parts of both COTBP and DMC, The Wisdom of Crocodiles, the TV series This Life) as he is at comedy. It's rather rare to find an actor that is equally good at both film genres.

Fencing Maiden- It's nice to meet you :bye2:, and welcome to this little Jack Dav fan thread :-D!

I'm still trying to figure out whether I like him better clean-shaven or bearded when he's out of character, but I definitely agree that the "masculine, desperate look" the beard gave him in DMC is very appealing :drool:, ;).

Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 11:06 pm 

This is by far the only topic in this whole section that actually discusses the actor. I'm so proud.

Relativeness: I much prefer Norrington without a beard as well ;)

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2006, 12:51 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Why thank you, Kitoky :blush:! We do our best to stay on-topic as much as possible :). I'd think it would be easy to stay on-topic when talking about a single actor, but I guess it isn't :confuzzled:!

I'd have to say I like Norrington clean-shaven without the wig, but I also like scruffy Norrington. As for Mr. Davenport, well, I like him both ways :happy:.

Thanks again for the encouraging, friendly words, and maybe I'll see you on this thread now and then :happy:. Catch you later :bye2:!

For everyone- Some news on what Jack's going to be up to next- It turns out that he and "Agent Smith"/ "V" (a.k.a. Hugo Weaving) are going to be in a movie called The Key Man together :-D! That's a great actor pairing, if I do say so myself :yes:! Here's a link with some more info on the film: http://www.random-scribblings.net/hugo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=497&Itemid=34. And here's a pic from that same site to whet your appetites ;): Image

Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2006, 1:54 pm 
Elf
Elf

He looked great in DMC, when he had a beard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2006, 12:03 pm 
Maia
Maia

I know!! That's how fell for him was the beard :-D

Married Finn Jones on March 24th, 2009

Profile           YIM        

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next