Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently August 20th, 2018, 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Shadows of Arthedain ~ Commentary
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 3:09 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I'm posting this thread for anyone who reads my 'Shadows of Arthedain' series and have comments to make on them.

This tale is an edited collaborative role play story written between myself and another writer in 2002-2004. Its original working title was ‘Lady Ríannon of Annúminas' when it started as a romantic fluff RP between Ríannon's writer and me when we were in different cities. This time of writing was also during the time when the romance that we writers were involved in, first online, then in real life started. The name of the tale changed when it became something more than its original intention, which occurred after she moved to my city, we moved in together, had an intense whirlwind relationship, and I moved out a few months later. I present it here in the perspectives of the primary characters of each writer. After making an attempts to merge the two into one story, I decided that it needed to be told by the two main characters, Amliath of Evendim, and Riannon of Annuminas as most of the RP was written in the 1st person. After I began doing a crude edit of the raw material, It was clear that the tale also consisted of two parts roughly coinciding with the change in the writers relationship with each other. In light of all this, I decided to break it into two threads, or "chapters", or "acts", or "books" as it were. The first is the meeting and relationship of the two main characters Ríannon and Amliach, and the 2nd is the tales after Amliach departed Annuminas to join his unit in the Weather Hills. This part of the tale consisted of two separate story arcs for each character through the twenty years, eventually coming together again when they again meet. Part three is the continuation of the year 1960 timeline. My co-writer and I, despite the break in our relationship, continued communications and we continued to write this tale sporadically for some time, but she faded from it and moved on with her life. It was for all intent's and purposes, up to me to bring it to closure,which I wrote it out based on the outline we had discussed in our "happier" times, and used some of her raw notes she emailed me in our last communique about 12 years or so years ago. it was ten years later, my co-writer contacted me on facebook, and we had a quick chat about 'life since...' when our tales came up. We talked about them, and I asked if it would be alright to present our tales to the general public. She gave me clearance to share them. I have only now gotten time to do this, and have never again talked to my co-writer since that chat a couple years ago, but we both hope this brings some entertainment to the readers.

of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post subject: Re: The Shadows of Arthedain ~ Commentary
PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 9:34 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

After going over this RP as it was posted, and looking at the long-lost notes of Riannon's writer that I found on an old 3½" disk (remember those?), I'll be presenting this in three distinct parts. I've edited the opening post of this commentary.

Edit 14 Jan 2017: In reading what I posted, I was having a re-think on the presentation of this. I may be editing the story and present it as two parallel points of view. It will be better than mixing it up. It's hard to edit an RP into a tale sometimes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Post subject: Re: The Shadows of Arthedain ~ Commentary
PostPosted: February 9th, 2017, 5:39 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

....and on this tale.... no sooner do I crudely edit it into what it is here, I find Lady Riannon's notebook! I called her and asked if she wanted any of this, but she said she didn't, and is enjoying the world of Harry Potter with her children. She again gave me a free hand in editing the tale as long as I capture the true nature of her character Lady Riannon. I said I'd do my best. Let's just say the beginnings of the RP was quite broken and fluffy. So.... I will have to do some re-editing on the posts in place to make everything fit together. Another project.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~