Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What do you think?
yes, they were pointy at the top, just like in the movies. 94%  94%  [ 45 ]
no, they were rounded at the top, just like humans'. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
no, they were some other strange shape - square, or long and skinny, or dog-like, or whatever other ridiculous thing you can think of (yes, this is the joke answer). 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 48
 Post subject: Re: Do elves have pointed ears?
PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 1:35 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I don't remember it saying in the books, but I think elves had pointy ears. It's too wierd to think of them with round ears.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 2:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
It's too wierd to think of them with round ears.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion obviously, but some might say it's too weird to think about tall 'Elves' too, and Tolkien's Elves were certainly tall compared to humans.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 5:47 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I like the tall elves better than short elves. Short elves used to be the only kind to me, but now the word elf means so much more to me than just someone who works for Santa.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2012, 8:39 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

If you read up on folklore from different countries (ex., old Norse and Germanic mythology), you'll realize that a lot of their Elves were actually really tall (as well as small of course). Tall Elves are an age-old concept. :p

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 1:19 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

In the book The Discarded Image, chapter The Longaevi or Longlivers, CS Lewis remarks about stature...

'As I then said, the visual imagination of medieval and earlier writers never for long worked to scale. Indeed I cannot think of any book before Gulliver that makes any serious attempt to do so. What are the relative sizes of Thor and the Giants in the Prose Edda? There is no answer. In cap. XLV a giant's glove seems to the three gods a great hall, and the thumb of it a side-chamber which two of them use as a bedroom. This would make a god to a giant as a small fly to a man. But in the very next chapter Thor is dining with the giants and can lift up -- though for a special reason cannot drain -- the drinking horn they hand him. When it was possible to write like that we can expect no coherent account of the elve's stature.' CS Lewis, The Discarded Image

Lewis also points out a passage from Milton, and that Shakespeare, Drayton, and William Browne made literary uses of it, and 'from their use descend the minute and almost insectal fairies of the debased modern convention with their antennae and guazy wings' Adding that Richard Bovet in his Pandemonium (1684) speaks of the fairies 'appearing like men and women of a stature generally near the smaller size of man...'

Adding this along with plenty of other things. Interesting book and chapter :)

It's also interesting to look at a description concerning the stature of the Noldoli according to Tolkien's early Fall of Gondolin in The Book of Lost Tales, or the description in draft notes for the early version of the awakening of Men. Originally Tolkien's Elves appear to be taller than the popular conception of the 'Elves' of his day, but not so tall as they would ultimately be imagined.

Another interesting 'point' is that Tolkien actually notes in Appendix F that the Elves were not winged! Although I'm not sure he expected his readers to think so, but probably just added this as a comparison to a modern notion.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 4:33 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Elthir wrote:
In the book The Discarded Image, chapter The Longaevi or Longlivers, CS Lewis remarks about stature...

'As I then said, the visual imagination of medieval and earlier writers never for long worked to scale. Indeed I cannot think of any book before Gulliver that makes any serious attempt to do so. What are the relative sizes of Thor and the Giants in the Prose Edda? There is no answer. In cap. XLV a giant's glove seems to the three gods a great hall, and the thumb of it a side-chamber which two of them use as a bedroom. This would make a god to a giant as a small fly to a man. But in the very next chapter Thor is dining with the giants and can lift up -- though for a special reason cannot drain -- the drinking horn they hand him. When it was possible to write like that we can expect no coherent account of the elve's stature.' CS Lewis, The Discarded Image

Lewis also points out a passage from Milton, and that Shakespeare, Drayton, and William Browne made literary uses of it, and 'from their use descend the minute and almost insectal fairies of the debased modern convention with their antennae and guazy wings' Adding that Richard Bovet in his Pandemonium (1684) speaks of the fairies 'appearing like men and women of a stature generally near the smaller size of man...'

Adding this along with plenty of other things. Interesting book and chapter :)

It's also interesting to look at a description concerning the stature of the Noldoli according to Tolkien's early Fall of Gondolin in The Book of Lost Tales, or the description in draft notes for the early version of the awakening of Men. Originally Tolkien's Elves appear to be taller than the popular conception of the 'Elves' of his day, but not so tall as they would ultimately be imagined.

Another interesting 'point' is that Tolkien actually notes in Appendix F that the Elves were not winged! Although I'm not sure he expected his readers to think so, but probably just added this as a comparison to a modern notion.

Very nice, Elthir!