Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2006, 9:07 am 
Balrog
Balrog

according to Frodo_Lives it's from a German book called "Handbuch der Weisen von Mittelerde" which means something like "book of the Wise of Middle-Earth" and it's written by Wolfgang Krege who did one of the German translations of LotR, the Hobbit and the Sil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2006, 10:41 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Well if that is the case then it is clearly Void in this aspect. Obviously the writer did not throughly search the letter I got the quote from.

A Tolkien quote can only be rebuted by another Tolkien quote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2006, 5:24 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Well I believe that he didn't read the letter. What letter did you get the quote from by the way?? Just wanted to know.. I don't really like his translations anyway.. the old ones are way better in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 31st, 2006, 6:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I will type it out again for you...

"Also very notable is 'Glorfindel tells of his ancestry in Gondolin.' Years later, long after the publication of The Lord of the Rings, my father gave a great deal of thought to the matter of Glorfindel, and at that time he wrote: '[The use of Glorfindel] in The Lord of the Rings is one of the cases of the somewhat random use of the names found in the older legends, now referred to as The Silmarillion, which escaped reconsideration in the final published form of The Lord of the Rings.' He came to the conclusion that Glorfindel of Gondolin, who fell to his death in combat with a Balrog after the sack of the city (II.192 - 4, IV.145), and Glorfindel of Rivendell were one and the same: he was released from Mandos and returned to Middle-earth in the Second Age." - HOME - The Return of the Shadow

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2007, 12:10 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Oh ok. Thank you. Well I think he did read those books, but he probably didn't remember that part..

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2007, 12:50 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I typed that quote out a long while and thought it was from a letter but it was actually from a book, no big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2007, 12:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

So to all intensive purposes, this discussion is finished as we have definative proof to answer th equestion lol

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2007, 9:00 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

wow that was a great discussion! I definatley learned alot of things here that I never even knew myself, wooo :D:D great! BUt Glorfindel ( the rivendell one) eventually sail to the Undying Lands?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2007, 2:56 am 
Vala
Vala

He would have to have returned to Valinor, since Galadriel's ship was (according to either UT or LotR, I don't remember which) the one that the last of the Noldor left on, and Glorfindel was of the Noldor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2007, 4:38 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Most likely. However ships still left Middle-earth for Valinor many years after, for instance with Legolas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2007, 4:40 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

yes... an I'v made a new topic regarding Legolas and Gimli :-) in this forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 8:20 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I've always assumed they were the same Elf. But then wonder why he was brought back... and although a great elf surely others greater could have been brought back as well/in his stead.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 8:50 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Elessar [Sly] wrote:
(...) But then wonder why he was brought back... and although a great elf surely others greater could have been brought back as well/in his stead.

Tolkien wrote two late essays about Glorfindel: in one Glorfindel returned to Middle-earth as a companion to Gandalf. In another however -- or that is, the second version, since Christopher Tolkien notes his opinion on the sequence here -- Tolkien wrote:

Quote:
'His return must have been for the purpose of strengthening Gil-galad and Elrond, when the growing evil of the intentions of Sauron were at last perceived by them. It might, therefore, have been as early as Second Age 1200, when Sauron came in person to Lindon, and attempted to deceive Gil-galad, but was rejected and dismissed. But it may have been, perhaps more probably, as late as 1600, the Year of Dread, when Barad-dûr was completed and the One Ring forged, and Celebrimbor at last became aware of the trap into which he had fallen...'

JRRT, Glorfindel II, Last Writings, The Peoples of Middle-Earth

And in my opinion, despite that Glorfindel was a powerful Elf, one need not think of his return as simply adding a notable warrior to the ranks (although again, this would be obvious), but very importantly, a strengthening in the way of hope and inspiration as well. Such a famed Elf would surely be an inspiration to the Elves of Middle-earth, I think.