Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lots and None at all (TRG Discussion- Ch. 2)
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 8:12 pm 

:wave:

Now, everyone, give yourselves a round of applause! You've made it all the way through Chapter 1, a feat which few non-ringers can boast of. ;) :P

Here's the Official List of Discussion Questions, have fun with them, as well as any questions/comments of your own. :)

The Lands "...where people spoke strangely and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before", would these possibly be referring to Bree and the surrounding vicinities, or something else?

How does the description of the Weather Hills (And the surrounding areas) and it's "castles" (possibly Amon Súl) differ from FOTR? Do you get a different feeling about them?

What is your impression of how the Dwarves are treating Bilbo at this point?

How does Tolkien's description of the trolls differ from what PJ visualized?

Can you imagine a possible reason why trolls would "simply detest the sight of Dwarves (uncooked)"? If so, what?

If you were a troll, how would you prepare the dwarves for eating? Roast them slowly, mince them fine and boil them, or sit on them one by one and squash them into jelly?

Why wouldn't Gandalf be able to read the runes on the swords? Isn't that inconsistent for an Istari of his experience?

<center>Image
~I am a Shieldmaiden for Christ!~
[?~^:]
Doll base

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 3:10 am 
Istari
Istari

Hey? Where is everybody?
Ok, I will start this time.. Where are the discussion questions... Oh, yes...

The Lands "...where people spoke strangely and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before", would these possibly be referring to Bree and the surrounding vicinities, or something else?
*runs off look on the map* Yes, I think that's Bree.

How does the description of the Weather Hills (And the surrounding areas) and it's "castles" (possibly Amon Súl) differ from FOTR? Do you get a different feeling about them?
Well, ehm.. I've read the Trilogy only onbe time and I don't remember that part very well. My copy of LotR is falling into pieces, so I have to wait till I get a new one. (that will be this week :) )

Sometimes they are nice to him, sometimes not. They don't really believe that he can be of any good.

I think the most important thing is this: Tolkien's trolls talk and PJ's trolls don't talk. Tolkien describes them as very large persons and PJ's trolls don't look very human at all. And don't forget Tolkien says trolls can have more than one head each!

Can you imagine a possible reason why trolls would "simply detest the sight of Dwarves (uncooked)"? If so, what?
Maybe they think dwarves are to hairy?

If you were a troll, how would you prepare the dwarves for eating? Roast them slowly, mince them fine and boil them, or sit on them one by one and squash them into jelly?
Roast them, of course. I don't think boiled dwarve or dwarve-jelly tastes very nice.

Why wouldn't Gandalf be able to read the runes on the swords? Isn't that inconsistent for an Istari of his experience?
Yes, that was exactly what I thought. Gandalf should be able to read the runes and I've no idea why he can't.

So... this was it. Maybe I can add some favourite quotes:

"But -", said Bilbo.
"No time for it." said the wizard.
"But - " said Bilbo again.
"No time for that either! Off you go!"
"I'm awfully sorry," said Bilbo, "but I have come without my hat, and I left my pocket-handkerchief behind, and I haven't got any money. I didn't get you note until after 10:45 to be precise."
"Don't be precise", said Dwalin, "and don't worry!"

"Bilbo Baggins, a bur- a hobbit," said poor Bilbo, shaking all over, and wondering how to make owlnoices before they throttled him.
"A burrahobbit?" said they a bit startled.

"Yes, lots", said Bilbo, before he remembered not to give his friends away. "No none at all, not one," he said immediately afterwards.

"I cook better than I cook, of you see what I mean"

Well, that's all I can think of now! Bye :bye2:

Post subject: Re: Lots and None at all (TRG Discussion- Ch. 2)
PostPosted: July 18th, 2005, 5:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Possibly Bree. Maybe. I don't know! Oh no!! *panics and trips over*

It seems less dangerous in my point of view, to be truthful. I've always felt that The Hobbit was less scary and dangerous than the LotR trilogy. The Hobbit just deals with dragons and such - nothing too bad. But that's only my opinion. It seems more . . . tame.

Annoying. Let the hobbit eat his breakfast!! Just kidding. But I wish they would be a bit more . . . courteous to hobbit-culture. :)

The trolls here seemed a bit smaller and much less - er - overweight. The ones in the movies were absolutely huge. The ones in the book seemed a bit more close to human form, to tell you the truth.

Well, how can you blame them? How would anybody feel to eat a dwarf? Nausea. :)

I'd throw up, then roast them, mince them, sit on them, and then give them to someone else to eat. I'll eat some berries, thank you.

Oh definitely! He seems to be able to do almost everything. Really. Unless the person who engraved the runes had messy writing? :annoyed2:

Well, those are my answers. I do look forward to doing more of thes TRG activities!! Have a nice day everyone!! :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2005, 11:26 am 
Ent
Ent

Quote:
"But -", said Bilbo.
"No time for it." said the wizard.
"But - " said Bilbo again.
"No time for that either! Off you go!"
"I'm awfully sorry," said Bilbo, "but I have come without my hat, and I left my pocket-handkerchief behind, and I haven't got any money. I didn't get you note until after 10:45 to be precise."
"Don't be precise", said Dwalin, "and don't worry!"

"Bilbo Baggins, a bur- a hobbit," said poor Bilbo, shaking all over, and wondering how to make owlnoices before they throttled him.
"A burrahobbit?" said they a bit startled.

"Yes, lots", said Bilbo, before he remembered not to give his friends away. "No none at all, not one," he said immediately afterwards.

"I cook better than I cook, of you see what I mean"

I love these!

~ Icon by heatherbee ~

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2005, 3:08 pm 
Istari
Istari

I don't know where all the TRG members are, but not here..

Quote:
It seems less dangerous in my point of view, to be truthful. I've always felt that The Hobbit was less scary and dangerous than the LotR trilogy. The Hobbit just deals with dragons and such - nothing too bad. But that's only my opinion. It seems more . . . tame.

Exactly what I think. Of course dragans ARE dangerous, but ehm.. I hope you see what I mean...

Quote:
I'd throw up, then roast them, mince them, sit on them, and then give them to someone else to eat. I'll eat some berries, thank you.

Hahaha :lol:

Ow... :( where IS everybody..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2005, 8:04 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I'm here :bye2: I haven't forgotton about TRG...just been so busy lately...Hopefully i'll have my answers up tomorrow...well today...as it's 1:00 am...

:-D

EDIT: ack won't be able to i'm going on holiday for a week tomorrow and i still have to finish packing :duh:

:bye2:

See you in a week :closedeyes:

Sig set by Smeagollum =)</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Lots and None at all (TRG Discussion- Ch. 2)
PostPosted: September 26th, 2023, 2:00 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

oh my god, really thanks baby