Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOTR vs HP
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 6:59 am 

What are the parallels? Did JK Rowling "copy" Tolkien? Is she allowed to borrow ideas from other fantasy writers? Is it not copying but merely being influenced by another great work? Did Tolkien borrow ideas from other writings in the first place? How can you copyright "ideas" so long as someone doesn't steal your characters and your plot?

I think it is impossible to read something like the lord of the rings and not be influenced by it in one way or another. Plus, fantasy all have common themes and characters running through them and that is why they are grouped under one genre. You can't claim that something like Elves are your creation, because they have been around for centuries...

For reference
Copycat Harry Potter: http://tevildiel.proboards21.com/index. ... 1109797057
Harry Potter vs. the Lord of the Rings: http://tevildiel.proboards21.com/index. ... 844&page=1
Why I think Harry Potter copies other things: http://tevildiel.proboards21.com/index. ... 1097495179

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 9:44 am 
Ent
Ent

You could never get me 2 choose between the different sets of books, becaue I love them both equally, but I did notice the appearance of giant spiders in both the books.

Shelob and Aragog, the biggest spiders.

Another similarity is Ringwraiths and Dementors *shudder*

^ Thankyou so much everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 12:37 pm 

I don't believe JK Rowling copied Tolkien. I read in a Harry Potter magazine that she was greatly influenced by Tolkien's writings and so if she really did copy, it wouldn't be published so, if it's legal, it's alright.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 12:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

Kitoky wrote:
I don't believe JK Rowling copied Tolkien. I read in a Harry Potter magazine that she was greatly influenced by Tolkien's writings and so if she really did copy, it wouldn't be published so, if it's legal, it's alright.

Someone on ComingSoon!.net once read an interview with Rowling and she said she had never even read LOTR when asked about the comparisons. A few years later I read another and she said she read it when she was young. So why the first denial?

~ Icon by heatherbee ~

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 1:25 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I don't believe that J.K Rowling copied LotR at all. I mean, there are similarities, but in what fantasy book that you've picked up hasn't had similarities to other books? She probably was influenced by J.R.R Tolkien's work, as any good author would be, but I don't think she copied him,

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 2:01 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Evenstar wrote:
I don't believe that J.K Rowling copied LotR at all. I mean, there are similarities, but in what fantasy book that you've picked up hasn't had similarities to other books? She probably was influenced by J.R.R Tolkien's work, as any good author would be, but I don't think she copied him,

That's exactly what I would've said. Sure, there are quite a few similarities, but both authors gave them different characteristics.
For example, Goblins in LotR are similar to Orcs, very evil creatures. While in HP they work in Gringotts's Wizard Bank.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 2:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Kitoky wrote:

Someone on ComingSoon!.net once read an interview with Rowling and she said she had never even read LOTR when asked about the comparisons. A few years later I read another and she said she read it when she was young. So why the first denial?

Some interviews can be misread or false. But the thing is, which one is false?

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 2:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Years ago I would have said J.K. copied off of J.R.R., but I've sort of changed my mind. I don't think she directly copied off of him, but I believe they were probably influenced by the same myths and legends. I mean, you could say Tolkien copied off Beowulf because one of the kings in Beowulf is named Froda, and we all know what Tolkien named his protagonist :)

The dementors and the ringwraiths are similar, but I think nightmare-ish creatures similar to them are found in so many stories. I mean, we wouldn't say whoever came up with Grim Reaper halloween costumes copied off of Tolkien just because the Reaper's a dark, hooded form.

The only elements that I'm a little dubious about (whether Rowling came up with them completely on her own) are the spider similarities, and the similarity between the names Aragorn and Aragog.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 2:43 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Perian wrote:
Evenstar wrote:
I don't believe that J.K Rowling copied LotR at all. I mean, there are similarities, but in what fantasy book that you've picked up hasn't had similarities to other books? She probably was influenced by J.R.R Tolkien's work, as any good author would be, but I don't think she copied him.

That's exactly what I would've said. Sure, there are quite a few similarities, but both authors gave them different characteristics.
For example, Goblins in LotR are similar to Orcs, very evil creatures. While in HP they work in Gringotts's Wizard Bank.

Yeah. I mean, some authors make certain fantasy animals either good or evil. There are many different variations. Also, yes, the only thing I have really only thought was quite similar with HP and LotR were the spiders. However, there was only one large spider in LotR, and there were very many in HP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2005, 10:02 pm 

Personally, I like LotR more than HP. On the subjest of J.K Rowling copying Tolkien, I think she might have just been influenced. Most fantasy books have many similarities between them, as you all have already stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2005, 2:10 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

In every book you'll find similarites to an older published book. The author was inspired by the book. Whether or not you'll like the book is another.

I love HP and LOTR. I've read HP more because when Rowling publishes another book, I'll reread the series before the new book comes out. Sure some of the books aren't as fun as some of the others, but sometimes that's how series are. I didn't like all of the chapters in LOTR. I mean, in TTT, the second half took me the longest to read than FOTR or ROTK. I know, pretty weird. :confused:

I know lots of people who read HP but have tried reading LOTR and found it too hard. The only people I know IRL that hate HP are usually the people that hate reading. :annoyed2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2005, 1:37 pm 

Like Arwen said, Tolkien didn't copy but was influenced with works such as Beowulf and the books written by George McDonald.
It's rare that a fantasy author bases nothing off of other books, merely on their own imagination. Actually, it's probably impossible.

I've never read Harry Potter, but from what I've heard, there are Lord of the Rings influeneces thrown in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2005, 10:59 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Evenstar wrote:
Perian wrote:
Evenstar wrote:
I don't believe that J.K Rowling copied LotR at all. I mean, there are similarities, but in what fantasy book that you've picked up hasn't had similarities to other books? She probably was influenced by J.R.R Tolkien's work, as any good author would be, but I don't think she copied him.

Yeah. I mean, some authors make certain fantasy animals either good or evil. There are many different variations. Also, yes, the only thing I have really only thought was quite similar with HP and LotR were the spiders. However, there was only one large spider in LotR, and there were very many in HP.

Well actually there are many big spicers in LotR. Maybe not in the series itself but in the Hobbit, they are captured by giant spiders in Mirkwood.

I agree with what everyone is saying. Fantasy books as a general rule have a lot of similar aspects to them. The Wind Waker was one fantasy book that was the most different from most fantasy books. Very good too... I think that Rowling was probably influenced by Tolkein and probably many others too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 6:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

*hides knife* No, I'm not thinking of murdering the next HP book I see...

I can't stand Harry Potter. I don't like kiddy fantasy like that... no, I don't really think Rowling copied Tolkien, though certainly any fantasy lover would be influenced by him.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 12:42 pm 
Ent
Ent

..Rumil.. wrote:
Eponine : Don't you fret, M'sieur Marius
I don't feel any pain
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now.

I love Les Miserables! Great sig!

~ Icon by heatherbee ~

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2005, 2:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Still haven't see the Les Miserable musical...

Profile       WWW