Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2009, 12:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I have been known to read a bit of fanfic in my time and I have to agree, the LotR ones are usulally ridiculous. I think they're mostly written by moviefangirls. And I just want to say this (because if I get it out of my system here, then I maybe won't have to hijack the PA at school) LONG HAIR does not equal GAY!!! I don't think any of the gay guys I've known have long hair! I'm glad there are other people out there with the same opinion on these fanfics as me, gives me hope in humanity ;)

Post subject: Re: Glorfindel...Gay?
PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 12:17 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

probably gay themselves but never told anyone, i heard of stories like that but i just stick to ones i can trust. Plus they have a secret that they have to get out! (sorry was i being cruel?)

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 5:38 am 
Elf
Elf

Yeah, this thread does come across as slightly homophobic. But whatever, I can get the frustration.

I don't really have any issues with people writing slash fiction as long as it's done tastefully. As with all writing, if it's rubbish writing it's going to annoy me.

But gay Elves... It's not something I can see happening. I'm pretty sure it's canon (somewhere in HoME I think.. maybe) that elves only have sex to procreate, like Catholicism teaches. They don't have sex outside of marriage either so all the FF of elves doing that don't really work, so of course the gay sexual relationships between elves don't work either. They're not human, they're elves.

That's why I avoid any elven slash fiction... Because I can't suspense disbelief that much. I kinda wish I could suspense disbelief and so read any Arwen/Eowyn fan fiction but I can't. :'-(

Yeah, about the whole Glorfindel being "hard" therefore can't possible be gay thing... Have any of you watched 300? (You should, it has nearly naked Faramir running around in it.) Ignore the line Leonidas says about the Athenians being "boy-lovers". Homosexuality was encouraged in Spartan society. Spartan men didn't get married until age 30 and before that they were having sex with men. It's quite different to find men more "hard" than Spartans. Just saying...

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2011, 9:12 am 
Istari
Istari

I am sorry to say, but this thread amused me, not because of its contents, but because of it's timing... I had just been wondering about the plethora of gay!elves on FF.net myself when this popped up in the topic list. Regardless, I think that people portray elves as gay because they do not do their research (and possibly because of Ralph Bashki, Rankin Bass, and DnD). The traditional term for elves is the archaic term for "happy," the word "gay" People see this word and do not think "happy" they thing "boy elves love other boy elves?! Cool, lets write fanfics about that!" without considering the background of the elven culture or the intent of the author.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 7:15 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Seren wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's canon (somewhere in HoME I think.. maybe) that elves only have sex to procreate, like Catholicism teaches.

This is all I can think of, at the moment, that you might be referring to here. But if so, to my mind this is rather about the power and will to procreate: "For with regard to generation the power and the will are not among the Eldar distinguishable. Doubtless they would retain for many ages the power of generation, if the will and desire were not satisfied; but with the exercise of the power the desire soon ceases, and the mind turns to other things." JRRT, Laws and Customs Among the Eldar, Morgoth's Ring

In other words, does this necessarily mean that Elves only have sex to procreate? If after the exercise of the power, the desire soon ceases, doesn't it refer to the desire to procreate, rather than the desire for sex? The larger context here is the reasons that the Eldar [usually] brought forth few children, including the notion that, with respect to begetting and bearing, a "greater share and strength of their being, in mind and body, goes forth than in the making of mortal children."

Earlier in the text [before a section on Elvish fading] it was noted: "There were seldom more than four children in any house, and the number grew less as ages passed; but even in days of old, while the Eldar were still few and eager to increase their kind, Feanor was renowned as the father of seven sons, and the histories record none that surpassed him."

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 12:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I can understand that (some) gay people would find the Elves attractive (especially the movie Elves), for their being pretty. Some who have gone beyond this superficiality might also be attracted by the creativity of the Elves, leaving men far behind. Fanfics are fanfics, including slash.

But!

Tolkien, in his Roman Catholic faith, was pretty much a fundamentalist. I would almost go so far as to surmise that he would not even have considered homosexuality in the Orcs, the most depraved creatures of his legendarium (they're Middle-earth's hooligans anyway - but then do we know everything about every hooligan group?) So if people find homosexuality in Middle-earth, I would propose that by analogy what Sam said to Faramir in the chapter "The Window on the West" applies:

"I don't know about perilous," said Sam. "It strikes me that folk takes their peril with them into Lórien, and finds it there because they've brought it."