Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESRR: Lothlorien to Emyn Muil
PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 12:45 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

This week we finish up the Fellowship! How exciting!

I will be gone from the 4th to the 17th; I will have computer access until the 9th, but after that I'm volunteering at a camp and will be technology-less. Anyone willing to set up the thread during that week? (To clarify: I can cover the next thread, it's the one after that I'll be away.)

Post subject: Re: ESRR: Lothlorien to Emyn Muil
PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 5:09 pm 

[Like I said in the PM, I'll put up the next threads.]

Alright, so first of all I've been wondering why Tolkien doesn't spend more time on describing the long days where the Fellowship just marches on through the landscape. I mean he so often spends pages literally on describing a forest or the way a stream meanders through the landscape but we after the hobbits leave the Shire he never drops a word on the journey. Like what do they eat, how do they find food, how do they camp, what do they talk about? They're so many different people and races.. imagine having to travel with so many people you don't know.. some might snore, some may fall asleep on their watch, some might be great story-tellers etc. I would have liked a bit more of what PJ shows in FotR when we see Aragorn and Boromir sparring with the hobbits. Just to get a glimpse of the everyday life on the journey! :)

Also, I've been wondering why Legolas doesn't seem to take more watches as apparently he's the one needing the least sleep being an elf and all.. Elves don't sleep like mortal races, Legolas was "resting his mind in the strange paths of elvish dreams, even as he walked open-eyed in the light of this world." [From The Riders of Rohan, sorry jumped ahead].

So, even if Tolkien didn't spend time on the everyday routine of the journey he may show small bits of the characters' personality in their comments and remarks. I don't know if it reflects that the Fellowship had been together for too long but sometimes it does seem like they're lashing out on each other. Like this when Pippin says he cannot sleep in the trees even if they're mellyrn:

'Then dig a hole in the ground, said Legolas, 'if that is more after the fashion of your kind. But you must dig swift and deep, if you wish to hide from orcs.' [Lothlórien]

That's kind of cheeky.. or mean, to say that.. And there are more of these comments throughout the book.. did anyone else notice that?
All the characters do it but the elves might be the worst.. resting so confidently in the belief that they are a superior race.. which it's true, they are superior.. but still! Like in Rivendell and the elves laugh at Bilbo's songs but at least they pretend to enjoy them. Or when the hobbits meet the departing elves in the Shire and the elves laugh at them and make fun of the clumsy hobbits.
Sorry, I know it technically belong in the past discussion thread but there isn't much going on between Lothlórien and Emyn Muil... :teehee:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: ESRR: Lothlorien to Emyn Muil
PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 12:11 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I find that surprising too, Ea; I read a fanfic once that specifically covered that gap and found it very entertaining. I suppose the book is long enough already, maybe he didn't dare test his publisher or something. :lol:

As I'm reading I've been thinking about how young Legolas seems. He does seem to have an innate kind of arrogance; I think most of the younger Elves do. And just a little careless, like he's not really thinking about how his words effect the others. It's kind of refreshing to have an elf who isn't melancholy; Legolas is quite obviously interested in and attached to Middle-Earth, and he can be silly and naive. "I go to find the Sun!"

Do you guys think that when Sam was talking about his 'eye encounter' with Galadriel, he was originally going to say 'Rosie Cotton'? I'm paraphrasing because I don't have my book right here, but it's something like "She was giving me a choice between going on with Frodo or being back in the Shire, with my own little hobbit hole and-and--a little garden of my own."

I was trying to figure out what Frodo saw in the Mirror; as near as I can guess it was either Gandalf or Saruman first (I think Gandalf, personally), then Elendil coming to Middle-Earth, then Osgiliath and Minas Tirith, then Aragorn coming to the Pelennor Fields on the Corsair ships, and then sailing west at the very end. I wonder if he ever remembered that vision and wondered about the last bit; before he sailed, I mean.