Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boromir
PostPosted: August 14th, 2011, 12:35 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Do you think that Boromir was accepted into Valinor as one of the few men who were allowed, instead of staying in the halls of Mandos?

Post subject: Re: Boromir
PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 4:24 pm 

No, I don't think he would be allowed into Valinor...although, he was a great captain of his time and noble and all that there had been much greater men before him.. who obviously weren't invited to the party in Valinor either. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 6:55 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I only know of one man that was allowed to enter into Valinor and that was Turin Turambar.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 4:44 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I do not recall Turin ever being allowed into Valinor. No man ever was, as it was strictly forbidden, except arguably Earendil. (any source disputing this would be appreciated, always looking for bits of info I've missed, thanks).

Earendil was half Man, half Elf so you can dispute that he was in fact a Man who set foot in Valinor, but it is up to your interpretation. Either way, it is commonly believed that the only reason he was able to make his way to, and arrive at Valinor (at the time of his arrival, there was a ban on the elves from arriving in Valinor, any who left with Feanor or never went in the first place could not go now) is that he had one of the Silmarils, whose power allowed him to surpass the ban.

So in answer to your question... No, Boromir would not be allowed in Valinor instead of the Halls of Mandos, because no Man was.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:02 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

In the first book of the History of Middle Earth Man's afterlife is explained.
All of them travel first to the Halls of Mandos. Then some get put on ships to go to a plain (I don't know where). Some stay in the Halls of Mandos until the Great End. But there is a small number of men that get selected to enter in the Valinor itself and dwell with the Gods.
In the second book of the History of Middle Earth it says something like this: That he forgot all his grief and woes after he entered into Valinor and dwelled with the Gods.

Just a question. Didn't the Silmaril fall to the bottom of the sea? together with who loved Earendil (forget her name) who then became a bird and dwelt at the Isle of Birds?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:08 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Manwe Sulimo wrote:
In the first book of the History of Middle Earth Man's afterlife is explained.
All of them travel first to the Halls of Mandos. Then some get put on ships to go to a plain (I don't know where). Some stay in the Halls of Mandos until the Great End. But there is a small number of men that get selected to enter in the Valinor itself and dwell with the Gods.
In the second book of the History of Middle Earth it says something like this: That he forgot all his grief and woes after he entered into Valinor and dwelled with the Gods.

Just a question. Didn't the Silmaril fall to the bottom of the sea? together with who loved Earendil (forget her name) who then became a bird and dwelt at the Isle of Birds?

Man, I don't remember that :O.

One of the Silmarils is in the bottom of the sea. The one that Earendil had stayed with him after the Valar held council and decide to heed his plea for help. That Silmaril was set upon his brow and Earendil sails the skies in his ship, guarding the gate to the void, so Melkor cannot break through unknown. He is seen in Middle-earth as a star, and it is the light of the Silmaril that resides in the phial Galadrial gave to Frodo. The other two were taken from Morgoth by the Valar after they captured him. The last two sons of Feanor felt their oath obligated them to steal them, even though they were told that any claim they had was lost. Each son got one Silmaril, one cast his into the sea, the other into a fissure to the center of the earth.

Earendil' mate (whose name escapes me as well) became a bird at one point so that she could fly to find Earendil in his ship.

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 1:13 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Alright, Thanks for answering that.