Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ESSR: The Field of Cormallen to the Grey Havens
PostPosted: August 28th, 2011, 3:41 am 

Here's the last discussion thread in the Epic Summer Re-Read. It is time to go back home and scour the Shire.. it is time to shed a tear for Frodo: "We set out to save the Shire, Sam, and it has been saved - but not for me." And it is time to cry your eyes out at the Grey Havens.

Thanks to Minuialwen for setting up the ESSR and thanks to everyone for participating. I had fun. :teehee:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: ESSR: The Field of Cormallen to the Grey Havens
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2011, 12:39 am 

:'( The end is always so sad. But! We're not there yet! There is much to do, before we can send Frodo off!

Firstly, I love the story of Eowyn and Faramir. It's just so beautifully done. And I really love it when Eowyn says
Quote:
I will be a shieldmaiden no longer, nor vie with the great Riders, nor take joy only in the songs of slaying. I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren.

I just really see this as such a fulfillment of her character, after having basically wanted to go to her death only a few weeks beforehand.

Yay Aragorn is king! "By the labour and valour of many I have come into my inheritance."

Let me repeat that.

"By the labour and valour of many I have come into my inheritance."

I feel like this is Tolkien's thesis statement, in a way. :teehee: We argue a lot about who the real hero was, Frodo or Sam, etc, but they were all heroes. They all played a part in the story and without each individual, it would have failed.

I like that when Arwen comes, Frodo says "Now not day only shall be beloved, but night too shall be beautiful and blessed and all its fear pass away!" If this isn't enough to refute people's bias about 'Tolkien made all the evil dark he was racist' stuff, I don't know what is. The idea that there is beauty in day and night. I like it.

Treebeard says the line "For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air." Who knew?

Celeborn. Guys, Celeborn. So the guy doesn't get nearly enough credit because of the movies, but at the end here to Aragorn: "Kinsman, farewell! May your doom be other than mine, and your treasure remain with you to the end!" He loses Galadriel. She sails away without him. That guy. So incredible.

HOBBITS. MY HOBBITS MY HOBBITS MY DARLING HOBBITS.
Quote:
As the wretched pair passed by the company they came to the hobbits, and Saruman stopped and stared at them; but they looked at him with pity. "So you have come to gloat too, have you, my urchins?" he said. "You don't care what a beggar lacks, do yo? For you have all you want, food and fine clothes, and the best weed for your pipes. Oh yes, I know! I know where it comes from. You would not give a pipeful to a beggar, would you?"
"I would, if I had any," said Frodo.
"You can have what I have got left," said Merry, "if you will wait a moment." He got down and searched in the bag at his saddle. Then he handed to Saruman a leather pouch.

AFTER ALL THEY WENT THROUGH. PITY. "I WOULD". "YOU CAN".

And the Scouring of the Shire. I want to write an essay about this, and how important it is, but I need bed soon. So I'll just say a few quotes.
Quote:
This was too much for Pippin. His thoughts went back to the Field of Cormallen, and here was a squint-eyed rascal calling the Ring-bearer 'little cock-a-whoop'. He cast back his cloak, flashed out his sword, and the silver and sable of Gondor gleamed on him as he rode forward.
"You won't rescue Lotho, or the Shire, just by being shocked an sad, my dear Frodo."
"But Shire-folk have been so comfortable so long they don't know what to do. They just want a match, though, and they'll go up in fire."
The leader looked round. He was trapped. But he was not scared, not now with a score of his fellows to back him. He knew too little of hobbits to understand his peril.

Just one moment here. His peril. Please see all previous statements regard the "superiority" of Frodo! No. HOBBITS.
Quote:
"This is worse than Mordor!" said Sam. "Much worse in a way. It comes home to you, as they say; because it is home, and you remember it before it was all ruined."
Saruman rose to his feet, and stared at Frodo. There was a strange look in his eye of mingled wonder and respect and hatred. "You have grown, Halfling," he said.
Merry and Pippin: "and if they were now large and magnificent, they were unchanged otherwise, unless they were indeed more fairspoken and more jovial and full of merriment than ever before."

And while on that last thought of Merry and Pippin, why didn't Frodo tell them he was leaving? He takes Sam with him to the Grey Havens, but he had almost made it onto the boat before they show up (because Gandalf told them). It actually hurt me, when I read that. Because I spent so much of this reread really seeing the bravery of Merry and Pippin, and I hated that Frodo would just leave them without a word.

Also, people call Merry and Pippin "Meriadoc" and "Peregrin" more now, which entertains me for some reason. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: ESSR: The Field of Cormallen to the Grey Havens
PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 7:59 am 

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
Treebeard says the line "For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air." Who knew?
I KNOW!!! Galadriel stole Treebeard's line, can't believe it. :teehee:

Celeborn.. I always thought he would sail across the sea too.. with the very rest of the elves who had enough of Middle-earth. That he just stayed behind to put the lights out and lock up Lothlòrien, and then he would go to the Undying Lands. But then again the term The Last Ship might have been wasted on me. ;) Come on, it can't be the last.. Celeborn had a valid ticket to Valinor as well as the rest of his kin.. But now you put it this way, it is very sad.. or maybe this is how elves get out of an un-happy marriage since "to death do us part" doesn't mean much.. :P

The scouring of the Shire.. I don't know what to think of it.. A part of me loves it to death because it's such a beautiful fulfillment of the quest, it shows how they all have grown and now after having saved Middle-earth they also save the Shire, which they have been fighting for all the time, and actually get recognition from the other hobbits by doing so.
On the other hand, I liked the movie-ending and how PJ left it out and just had them return to a happy land completely unaffected by the War of the Ring. A true there and back again story where people would just look up and say.. 'silly Baggins, where has he been off to now..' and shake their heads and smoke their pipes.

Also, I guess it's only fair that Saruman meets his end in the Shire when he is the source of so much harm done there but on the other hand it's a little out of character for an istar, even a very corrupted one, to fall to this level. He is (was) one of the wise and even if he had been under Sauron's spell or just weaved spells for himself.. in a way.. don't ask how.. It's just such a fall from grace.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Tolkien goes way over the top with the happy ending? It just drags on and on how he describes how the noble King Elessar fights all the orcs and wild men and restores the peace, and how the land prospers, and how the Shire is greening and blooming, and all the children were fair, and Sam would be the mayor for life and everything. It almost seems too good..

Aaaaaand the Grey Havens. I'm so mad at Tolkien for having Fodo not telling Merry and Pippin that he was leaving.. After all they've been through, after all they've done for him and then he doesn't even want to say goodbye. When he leaves on that ship it's goodbye forever. PJ understood that, and seriously that scene just breaks my heart (and everyone else's hearts unless they're made of stone!) I would love to ask Tolkien what he was thinking!!

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara