Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aragorn and that sword!!!
PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 3:46 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Sorry for the rush, but listing to the audio cd, and what i read in the book 1.can someone please tell me if Aragorn carries around with him the broken sword or leaves it at home in Rivdendell. confused, mention on the cds i think but not in film???????

Post subject: Re: Aragorn and that sword!!!
PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 4:44 pm 
Elf
Elf

If I remember correct he carries around the pieces of Narsil. Then in Rivendell after the council of Elrond and the formation of the Fellowship it was reforged into Andúril before the Fellowship departed.

It represents one of the big differences between book Aragorn and film Aragorn. In the book Aragorn was always planning on becoming the king. In the films they have him deliberation and being unsure of his destiny which is why they have Arwen persuading Elrond to reforge the sword and then Elrond travels to the Dunharrow to give Andúril to Aragorn in RotK. It represents Aragorn coming to terms with his destiny and deciding that he will be king.

Edit:

Just to clarify. In the book Aragorn carries around the pieces of Narsil and it is reforged into Andúril before the Fellowship depart Rivendell. Also, in the book Narsil was only broken into two. Not shards like the film.
In the films the shards of Narsil are kept at Rivendell. Then during RotK it gets reforged into Andúril.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 5:50 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

In the book, Aragorn gets Anduril in Rivendell, but in the movies, he doesn't get it until right before the battle of Pelennor Fields.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2016, 11:01 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Seren wrote:
Aragorn carries around the pieces of Narsil and it is reforged into Andúril before the Fellowship depart Rivendell. Also, in the book Narsil was only broken into two.

Yes, the question has always been (before the PJ fanfic) where was the sword broken. I always got the impression that it was a half sword and he packed the broken part of the blade with him.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 1st, 2016, 2:14 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

So Aragorn just carries around a broken sword for like 50 years everywhere he goes? He has another sword to actually fight with, right? If that's true, does he just have two sheaths with swords in them? I wonder if he ever got them confused. :P It seems kind of silly to carry around a relic of such great importance on some probably really rough adventures. Why didn't he just leave it in Rivendell?

PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 5:51 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Yeah, lots of questions come up on this. I always depicted it as a long sword that had maybe the top third broken, either in one piece or in multiple pieces (shards). The rest of the sword was intact, and was still effective to use as a short sword. This all is of course in my mind and was created as a vision by me when I read the books.

I guess another question open to speculation is whether Aragorn/Strider carried a bow and arrows. To me, inherent need would say yes, but not sure if I could find any supporting evidence in the written canon.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 2:42 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I like that theory about Narsil. It would make sense that since he's hauling it everywhere that it still works as a short sword.

As for the bow and arrows, it would make a lot of sense for a ranger to have some for a couple of reasons: 1) you should probably be prepared for the loss of your main weapon when you're in the wild fighting orcs 24/7 with breaks at the inn at Bree every once in a while. 2) You don't kill a deer or something of that sort by running up and hacking at it with a sword. You can't use a sword for everything, and long range weapons are pretty useful in a number of situations.

I kind of pictures arathorn as the Mary Poppins of weapons. He could just keep pulling them out of his many pockets and end up with an entire armoury on the floor, cause he's Aragorn!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 11:12 pm 
Vala
Vala

Héalic wrote:
So Aragorn just carries around a broken sword for like 50 years everywhere he goes? He has another sword to actually fight with, right? If that's true, does he just have two sheaths with swords in them? I wonder if he ever got them confused. :P It seems kind of silly to carry around a relic of such great importance on some probably really rough adventures. Why didn't he just leave it in Rivendell?

The relic is of great importance only to him, so it doesn't really make sense for it to be with anyone else, especially since he might go years without visiting Imladris. :)

I would say that the implication throughout LotR (including the appendices) is that Aragorn truly does carry around the Shards of Narsil everywhere, likely occasionally trading it out or supplementing it with an unbroken, lesser blade (such as when he was posturing as Thorongil in Rohan and Gondor). For a Ranger, though, a sword would surely be much less useful than a long dagger, spear, or bow. It lacks reach, it gets tangled, and you cannot use it as a walking stick, staff, or even baggage leverage. He can't chase down deer with it, and trolls are best avoided. Wargs are best dealt with via spear or bow, and that really leaves little room for a sword being useful.

In fact, I'd imagine that during his days of wandering Aragorn was probably more likely to brandish an axe than a sword, as it is again far more versatile than even a fully-functional sword.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 11:12 pm 
Vala
Vala

Héalic wrote:

The relic is of great importance only to him, so it doesn't really make sense for it to be with anyone else, especially since he might go years without visiting Imladris. :)

I would say that the implication throughout LotR (including the appendices) is that Aragorn truly does carry around the Shards of Narsil everywhere, likely occasionally trading it out or supplementing it with an unbroken, lesser blade (such as when he was posturing as Thorongil in Rohan and Gondor). For a Ranger, though, a sword would surely be much less useful than a long dagger, spear, or bow. It lacks reach, it gets tangled, and you cannot use it as a walking stick, staff, or even baggage leverage. He can't chase down deer with it, and trolls are best avoided. Wargs are best dealt with via spear or bow, and that really leaves little room for a sword being useful.

In fact, I'd imagine that during his days of wandering Aragorn was probably more likely to brandish an axe than a sword, as it is again far more versatile than even a fully-functional sword.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2016, 8:27 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Oh, I hadn't considered an axe! That's an interesting mental image. Aragorn with an axe. I like it, it's cool. It also makes sense considering the copious amount of uses an axe can have, from chopping firewood to throwing it and taking down an orc/warg/deer etc. etc.

Also, like I said, maybe he just has one of each and pulls out whichever one is most convenient at the moment. That's a cool picture too. Aragorn's the best! :)