Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A noOb question
PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 7:44 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Please don't laugh at me? :blush: I've only read the first book. I know! I know! I'll get on that asap! But I would like to know why Frodo has to leave at the end of Return of the King? He gets on a ship with the Elves...why? Why do the Elves have to leave? I should probably just read all the books, hey? Lol... :duh: :lol: :confused2:

Post subject: Re: A noOb question
PostPosted: October 28th, 2012, 10:25 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Frodo changed. He could never look at the world the same again. I believe Gandalf even mentions that even if he gets back alive it will change him completely. Frodo just couldn't find peace anymore. He was traumatized by the whole adventure if you want to call it that. He accomplished what he set out to do and it was his time. I hope that answers your question! :)

PostPosted: April 19th, 2013, 10:34 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I have a dumb question too. What is the difference between the Eldar and the Elves? And what does half-elven mean?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 1:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
I have a dumb question too. What is the difference between the Eldar and the Elves?

There is no difference as far as the beings are concerned in general, meaning the Eldar are Elves, and Eldar is an Elvish word which can be translated by 'Elves'.

Elda 'Elf'

Eldar 'Elves'

however...

... in Middle-earth there are many designations for these beings called 'Elves', and sometimes the meanings of a term can change.

Eldar referred to all Elves originally [The People of the Stars], but then it came to exclude the Avarin Elves. The Avari are still Elves but they are the Elves who refused the initial summons to travel West [across the Sea]. So Eldar now had a more narrowed application:

... 'the People of the Stars who took up the Great Journey into the West'.

to complicate matters more...

... according to The Lord of the Rings the Eldar were those Elves who journeyed West at least as far as Beleriand, including those who went even furter West across the Sea. Other Elves are 'East-elves' by comparison, so here the term Eldar is basically equivalent to West-Elves.

But according to posthumously published descriptions, which includes the Silmarillion, the Eldar are those who took up this initial journey, no matter if they made it to Beleriand or not.

For me The Lord of the Rings holds more weight, being published by the author himself, and going by this prime source only the Noldor and Sindar of Middle-earth are Eldar [plus the Vanyar of the Undying Lands].

Quote:
And what does half-elven mean?

Hmm, in my opinion it refers to someone who has mixed blood, Elvish and mannish.

however...

... it is not exactly clear to me when the term should or should not be applied with respect to meaure: for example, Tolkien refers to Arwen as half-elven and she was not specifically 'half' mortal and 'half' elven by blood. But on the other hand if some mortal had 'mostly' mortal blood but had an Elvish ancestor, we don't seem to find the term 'half-elven' applied to them.

Then there is the 'Choice of the Half-elven', which however appears to be special dispensation to only certain of the Half-elven -- as only Earendil, Elwing, Elros, Elrond, and Elrond's children, get the Choice.

So, not dumb questions at all, but complicated in some respects; in my opinion anyway :-D

Last edited by Elthir on April 20th, 2013, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 1:43 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Here is a link to answer your question about the Eldar:

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Eldar

I do believe that the Eldar and Elves are the same. I think that the elvish word for elf is eldar...

Half Elven means that you are not a pureblood elf. So you would have some blood of men in you. Arwen was halfelven. The only reason she could choose to stay with Aragorn and not be immortal was because she did not have a pure bloodline and the Valar gave all the half-elves the choice to be immortal or to die among men. I don't think that Eldarion (Aragorn and Arwen's son) was halfelven though because Arwen and her father (Elrond) were halfelven. He does have elvish blood just not enough to consider him halfelven. Although his name means "son of the Eldar." Sorry to get off topic a little but i hope this helps! :)

PostPosted: April 20th, 2013, 1:55 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Just to note it, that WIKI link does not delve into the difference between what Tolkien himself published and what he wrote but never published.

As according to The Lord of the Rings not all the Teleri who took up even the original journey were considered Eldar, nor their languages Eldarin. Even according to a late text in Unfinished Tales Tolkien [inerestingly] says that the Teleri of Mirkwood were 'Eldar in origin' not merely Eldar... which admittedly may mean nothing much as far as minding what he had already published...

... but on the other hand, it may be a nod to what he had published in Appendix F, that of the Teleri [although this term does not appear there if I recall correctly] only the Sindar were Eldar, the rest were East-elves.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 1:03 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Thank you guys so much, this actually helped a ton. :) I finally got a copy of the Silmarillion, but I don't always get it, so that really helped. :-D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 6:25 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I have another stupid question for you guys, if you don't mind. Are the flame imperishable and the secret fire the same thing? If not what is the difference? Thanks so much!

Profile       WWW