Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Story of Kullervo and other recent works
PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 12:08 am 
Vala
Vala

I didn't notice any threads on Tolkien's more recent posthumous publications here in Doriath, so I thought I'd open the floor for discussion on them!

Out most recently are

--The Story of Kullervo. I've not yet acquired a copy of this for myself, but I'm familiar enough with the source material that I'm very excited to eventually get my hands on it. Tolkien's way with translations and synthesizing narratives is just as magical as anything Galadriel ever did, so my hopes are high. Have any of you read this work yet?

--The Fall of Arthur. Sadly, this was far too short. I adore Tolkien's translations here, and had he completed the work I think it would easily have been regarded as one of the premier works of poetry regarding Britain's greatest legendary figure. As it is, I read the entire thing from cover to cover while standing in a Barnes & Noble one day. Christopher's commentary is, as usual, peerless but also quite dry. Again, any thoughts from those of you who've read this? Did any staves in particular stand out to you?
--The Legend of Sigurd and GudrĂșn. This one is the oldest of the more recent publications through the Tolkien Estate, but possibly my favourite. It's more complete than the more recent ones, at least! Although I was again very well acquainted with the original material, Tolkien's depiction of the Fall of the Niflungs casts the Poetic Edda in a slightly different light than I'd viewed it before, and made the story much more exciting and fiery than I'd original understood it to be.

So, those of you who have read any/all of these three, what do you think of them?

Post subject: Re: The Story of Kullervo and other recent works
PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 6:26 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I have heard of the last two but sadly not read any of them. I wish I could add more to the topic than that but I will say if anyone who has read them comes forth I am verry interested in following this thread to hear ablut the three books!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM