Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eowyn and Faramir
PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 12:04 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

According to what I understand, Eowyn and Faramir only had one son? Did they have any daughters or did they literally only have one child?

If so, why? It seems odd to me.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: Eowyn and Faramir
PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 12:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

According to Tolkien-published sources (what I call 'canon'), we know that Faramir had a grandson Barahir.
A son Elboron appears in a family tree, published posthumously in The Peoples of Middle-Earth: "Here is the
line of Dol Amroth from the time of Angelimir..."

So Tolkien himself never published this, but then again I can't think of any problem with adding Elboron to my personal Middle-earth. Elboron is the only noted child of Faramir, Prince of Ithilien, and Eowyn,... in a tree which generally includes sons and daughters. Thus, I guess, the suggestion of only one child.

So, if so, why only one?

I don't know :)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 2:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Yay! Another topic on which the ‘canon’ is thin, allowing fairly free speculation! (Hi, Elthir! :-D )

Perhaps because Faramir belonged to the Gondorian line. In the (relatively) short span of 500 years in Rohan, the Kingship shifted to sister’s sons twice, each time due to wartime casualties. In Arnor, though the kingship as such was obliterated, the line of succession remained unbroken.

In Gondor, which alone became imperial, and thus closest to resembling Númenór, aka decadent, kings without heirs occurred several times. So at least one heir, if “only” to a principality, was better than the royal dead-ends (Bag Ends!!!) which ultimately led to the establishment of the Ruling Stewards of which Faramir was nominally the last, if stuck in the Houses of Healing.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 3:23 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hi Gando! Plus, there's this: the description in Chapter 8, Flies and Spiders, included: "In the Wide World the Wood-elves lingered in the twilight before the raising of the Sun and Moon..."

But for The Hobbit, third edition, published in the 1960s, Tolkien amended this to: "In the Wide World the Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon..."

You didn't say I couldn't post this here :whistle:

;-)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2018, 7:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

So the lingering Elves put off Éowyn and Faramir from having more children? I mean, Legols brought some of his Father's folk to Ithilien, if I remember correctly ... :blink:

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 11:57 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Elthir wrote:
According to Tolkien-published sources (what I call 'canon'), we know that Faramir had a grandson Barahir.
A son Elboron appears in a family tree, published posthumously in The Peoples of Middle-Earth: "Here is the
line of Dol Amroth from the time of Angelimir..."

So Tolkien himself never published this, but then again I can't think of any problem with adding Elboron to my personal Middle-earth. Elboron is the only noted child of Faramir, Prince of Ithilien, and Eowyn,... in a tree which generally includes sons and daughters. Thus, I guess, the suggestion of only one child.

So, if so, why only one?

I don't know :)

Gotcha. I guess it just seems odd that they would have only one to me. Given the texts available, I guess (as you say) it would suggest that were the case.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2022, 7:25 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

so good

PostPosted: August 8th, 2022, 10:34 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Resources are the products of biological, ecological, and geological processes. They are essential for maintaining biodiversity and the Earth's life-support systems. In today's society, the definition of resource includes processes of capitalism and concepts of state formation, as well as the control of a handful of powerful corporations. Yet, regardless of how the term is defined, the management of these resources has an impact on everyone. Here are the key facts about natural resources.