Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Other love relationships
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 5:38 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Besides the obvious ones like Aragorn and Arwen or Sam and Rosie or Faramir and Eowyn, does Tolkien mention other relationships? Like was there anyone that Boromir liked? I was just curious.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 6:54 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I can't remember hearing one, if there was any.There was Galadriel and Celeborn, that's a given. There are mentions of parents--Denethor and Finduilas, Arathorn and Gilraen. But no, I don't recall reading anything about relationships among the others.

Except that Merry and Pippin did get married--to Estella Bodger and Diamond of Long Cleeve, respectively. Of course, those are (I believe) only mentioned in the Appendices. Eomer was married, too, to Lothíriel, daughter of Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2006, 7:31 pm 

And in the Silmarillion, a lot more people get married... and a lot more detail is given too, such as in the case of Luthien and Beren. But I think that's really all in LotR.

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2006, 1:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I think Elrond and Celebrian's relationship was mentioned briefly in LotR...

I seem to remember reading in one of Tolkien's works that Boromir wasn't really interested in women and was more fixated on fighting, but since I can't remember where I heard that, I can't be held to it.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2006, 3:09 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

i remember aragorn telling a story about love bettween a mortal man and an elf princess on the way from the shire to rivendell, her name started with a t, but i dont have my copy of lotr with me at the moment, but ill post with the quote when i do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2006, 2:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

^ I believe you're thinking of Beren and Luthien (also called Tinuviel) :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2006, 10:14 am 

He also tells the story about Nimrodel..

Many of the characters get married... Such as Merry, Pippin, Eomer, but their love stories aren't told in the books, I think.

Post subject: Re: Other love relationships
PostPosted: December 5th, 2016, 6:27 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

One I haven't seen here but is very important and deserves a mention...
the courtship, betrothal, and marriage of Arathorn II and Lady Gilraen, the father and mother of Aragorn II, King Elessar.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 6th, 2016, 1:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

Also, in unfinished tales there's an entire chapter about Aldarion and Erendis, which was really rocky, but it's still a love story. Theres also Idril, daughter of Turin of Gondolin , and Tuor, a pretty epic warrior related to Turin. That was the 2nd of the 3 unions of elves and men. And there was the weird one between Turin and his sister Nienor (then called Niniel). They had a sweet relationship, but unfortunately they didn't know they were siblings, and it was depressing. The latter 2 are both from the Silmarillion, btw.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2016, 3:44 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Héalic wrote:
Also, in unfinished tales there's an entire chapter about Aldarion and Erendis, which was really rocky, but it's still a love story.

Ah yes... one of my favourite tales! I read that peroidically. Love it!

Héalic wrote:
And there was the weird one between Turin and his sister Nienor (then called Niniel). They had a sweet relationship, but unfortunately they didn't know they were siblings, and it was depressing.

It was a bold thing to write about incest even if it was unknown between the two back in those days.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 13th, 2016, 8:20 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Oh gosh, yes... Turin and Nienor's story was so sad... :(

I really need to re-read the Silmarilion there are so many details of things like that I don't remember.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 13th, 2016, 10:18 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
Oh gosh, yes... Turin and Nienor's story was so sad... :(

I really need to re-read the Silmarilion there are so many details of things like that I don't remember.

I suggest you read Children of Hurin as it flows much better than the Silmarillion edit.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2016, 8:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Does it? Hm... I will have to look about getting that book sometime. I keep hearing a lot of good things about it. lol I

PostPosted: December 15th, 2016, 12:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

Question: is the children of hurin the same as the Narn ì hin hurin in unfinished tales?

PostPosted: December 15th, 2016, 2:11 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Héalic wrote:
Question: is the children of hurin the same as the Narn ì hin hurin in unfinished tales?

Yes and no :)

But for clarity (for anyone who might not be aware) these are both presentations of the long prose version. The Silmarillion chapter is not the long prose version, but a purposely shorter version to fit into a specific tradition -- the Quenta Silmarillion tradition, which obviously covers much more than Turin's part in history.

Long Prose Distinctions

Narn i Chîn Húrin (true spelling, as Hîn represents a change by Christopher Tolkien for pronunciation reasons) as given in Unfinished Tales is an edited presentation in disjointed parts, along with notes and an Appendix. For example, for the section from Turin coming to Bar-en-Danwedh to the Fall of Nargothrond, Christopher Tolkien refers the reader to the short prose version -- the chapter in the Silmarillion -- then you have the tale continued, with, as I say, notes along with an Apendix that gives "some further glimpses" of things beyond what can be found in the Silmarillion chapter, and even some stretches of connected narrative.

While...

The Children of Hurin stand alone book is the tale as constructed by Christopher Tolkien. It's a reader's version, meant to be read as a story. At the end Christopher Tolkien explains his sources and certain construction choices, but here you get the tale as a tale, so to speak, and when you read through it in this form (along with some new text that doesn't appear in UT as well), it has a much different impact in my opinion.

So, while we shouldn't think of the constructed version as "complete" and wholly updated by Tolkien himself, what it does offer is the intended reader experience, in general. No interruptions in the way of commentary about fragments, notes, or problematic issues. And with the long version (both in UT and The Children of Hurin book) you'll get into a more detailed telling of this tale. As noted, the story wasn't finished by Tolkien himself (just for a brief example, we know JRR Tolkien wanted to inject a larger part for the Helm of Hador into this story, but since this wasn't done in a complete enough fashion, Christopher Tolkien chose to leave it out after a certain point), but Christopher Tolkien felt there was enough here to attempt a constructed version.

Anyway, I recommend the constructed version for its impact as a tale. Christopher Tolkien originally wanted to present The Silmarillion in a more scholarly fashion, but Guy Kay talked him into doing a one volume constructed reader's version first, and that's what we got in 1977... although Christopher Tolkien ultimately decided to do an in depth scholarly history as well...

... and more, with his twelve volume History of Middle-Earth series!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2016, 7:40 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, that certainly explains it quite well! Thank you for that info, even though I did not ask the question I much was interested in the answer. :D

So the twelve volume series, is that something already out or something yet to be? I have not heard of that. I know he is making a "Beren and Luthian" book coming out early next year.