Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Casting Calls - FEMALE ELF ROLE INTRODUCED(?)
PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 1:22 pm 
Maia
Maia

^ Well said. There were some people at the start of LotR who were worried that PJ was going to screw it up. Then think how stupid they must have felt :lol:

In PJ i trust :-D :goofy:

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 5:25 pm 

Peter Jackson wrote:
Evangeline Lilly will be playing a new character—the Woodland Elf, Tauriel. Her name means 'daughter of Mirkwood' and, beyond that, we must leave you guessing! (No, there is no romantic connection to Legolas.) What is not a secret is how talented and compelling an actress Evangeline is; we are thrilled and excited she will be the one to bring our first true Sylvan Elf to life.

I'm glad he made sure of the "no romantic connection" thing. :P So this should be an interesting addition.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 5:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

YOU MEAN IT'S TRUE?? :kick: Awesome. This will be awesome. I'm so excited. And obviously glad that there's no romantic connection to Legolas; I'm relieved it's such a clear 'NO.'

But EVANGELINE LILLY is playing an elf. This is sooo cool. *fangirls*

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 5:53 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. I mean, she's great and all, but she's very much Kate from LOST for me. Hopefully she'll be able to pull off Sylvan Elf.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 7:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah I do NOT see Evangeline Lilly as an elf :erm: Yes, she was great as Kate...but she's Kate. And freckly. And not particularly elven. I know she's not a big Hollywood starlet, really, but I guess I'm a little disappointed that so many of the actors for The Hobbit are already known to me. Maybe I was just pop-culture illiterate when the original trilogy came out and that's why I didn't recognize most of the names, but I just keep feeling like it will be distracting watching The Hobbit and going "Hey look! There's Ned from Pushing Daisies! That's Sherlock's voice! And Kate from Lost!" Meh. Sorry to be a downer...I'm just not super-psyched about it.

I also can't imagine Evangeline Lilly with a good English accent.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 7:26 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

*sniffs* Guess I'm all alone in my fangirling, then. :-(

I actually can see her as an elf; I think it's the dark hair and pale skin. The freckles don't really bother me; but then again, I may just be blocking out any criticism in my intense glee.

Are the Sylvan Elves supposed to have English accents?

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 7:29 pm 

I can sort of see it. Like Arwen, I'm concerned about seeing Kate running around Middle-earth. But maybe with make-up covering the freckles and a wig and pointy-ears and all that, it won't be too bad.

Glad there's no Legolas romance involved. :D

And I'm filing for copyright violation on my username, too. :vampire:

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 7:50 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Ok.... new rule here.... if anyone has any news that isn't posted on the main site, could you PM me or Larael with it please.... this stuff sneaking past hurts my .. er... something. *bats eyes*

Anyway.... my problem with some of the cast actually, is they are quite well known. As I've said before, what I liked about LOTR is that you either sort of knew someone or you didn't. Some of these cast members are known internationally and in some ways majorly.

EL is probably the best known out of all the new cast. She has big gaps in her teeth, she's not particularly Elven looking, I personally don't think she's looks perfect enough for an Elf, the English accent is bugging me already and basically... she is Kate.... not an Elf...

^ whoa... that sounded really mean. :blink: I just think no matter what she looks like as an Elf, is she starts trekking through a wood or fighting I'm going to immediately think of Kate.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 8:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Clearly you need to spend more time on facebook, JF, and Like PJ's facebook page :-P

Quote:
Are the Sylvan Elves supposed to have English accents?

Well, I don't suppose anyone from Middle-earth is supposed to have an accent from a particular region of our world since it's Middle-earth and all :teehee: But since most of the cast of LotR either had English accents or adopted one (like Elijah), except for Billy because he should never lose his Scottish accent and Viggo because he just does his own thing, I assumed they'd do the same thing for the cast of The Hobbit. Also, the original casting call for Itaril called for a standard RP accent (no, not role-playing :-P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation ), so I assumed that was what they were looking for. And I just can't see Evangeline pulling it off. Does anyone know if she's been in anything that required an accent before...?

Quote:
Anyway.... my problem with some of the cast actually, is they are quite well known. As I've said before, what I liked about LOTR is that you either sort of knew someone or you didn't. Some of these cast members are known internationally and in some ways majorly.

My thoughts exactly. Sigh. I'm really having to remind myself here to trust PJ :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 9:46 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I know. I don't have FB anymore, so it's remembering to check there. :duh:

Well I think it's generally accepted, especially by the fact Elijah, Sean Astin, Viggo (at least I thought he sounded British :P), David Cate, Brad, Hugo, Liv, Craig etc adopted some kind of accent that would be found in the British Isles, that British was what they were going for. So I will be mortified if any one of the new cast has anything other than a British accent, be it Welsh, Cornish, Scottish, Irish, West Country or any other appropriate region (please God, not a Scouse accent... don't make a Dwarf sound like John Lennon).

^ Same here. Although I have say, with the curve balls he's been throwing out recently, it's becoming harder. I'm still not happy Stephen Fry is going to be appearing, as Stephen Fry can only be Stephen Fry. We may as well have Michael Caine and be done with it.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 1:55 pm 

I think when talking about the Hobbit, it's easy to concentrate on the biggest names like Lee Pace or Evangeline Lily, but nearly all of the dwarves are unknown Aussie and Kiwi actors and there's also the new guy, Luke Evans, playing Bard and a Swedish actor playing Beorn. Plus the LotR cast wasn't made up entirely of unknowns. For instance, Elijah was well-known as a child actor by that point, Cate Blanchett had been nominated for an Oscar, Liv Tyler was (...is :P) the daughter of a rock star, and Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Ian Holm had been knighted. So I think PJ is definitely keeping to his creed of casting people who he thinks fits the part instead of just people who are well-known. And anyway, I don't think we're anywhere near "The Hobbit: starring Leonardo Dicaprio as Bilbo, Angelina Jolie as "Tauriel", and Robert Patterson as Thorin!" :teehee:

On a more on-topic note, I'm wondering if this new elf will be blonde or brunette. :P

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 3:00 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Johnny's Fan wrote:
EL is probably the best known out of all the new cast. She has big gaps in her teeth, she's not particularly Elven looking, I personally don't think she's looks perfect enough for an Elf, the English accent is bugging me already and basically... she is Kate.... not an Elf...
[/color]

I've come to learn over the years that it really doesn't matter in the slightest what an actress looks like originally anymore.Pretty much anyone can play anybody to an extent. What with all the makeup, CGI and other tricks like that, people can do pretty much whatever they want now.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 10:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

Any one else's head spinning with all the casting news surroundin this movie? I am excited to see Richard Armitage though, although at first I may be busy thinking 'hey, its the hot bad guy from Robin Hood', but he will be covered up with a dwarf beard so maybe not. Anyone know why Frodo is coming back?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2011, 11:02 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I'm okay with a female character that can use a blade. It is RPGish, but as long as her role is moderate to tiny, I honestly kind of like the idea. But if Tauriel is meant to have a liking of another character, I hope it's more just lightly mentioned or hinted in the film rather than focused upon (yeeesss, no trashy Legolas romance!!! PHEW~). Or preferably just not there at all.

And I agree, Evangeline Lilly as an actress doesn't have the elements of an elf, however I'm not at all concerned about her final movie appearance. I have complete trust in the make-up and costume department being able to give anyone that elven essence. And while it's true that Liv and Cate had it naturally (at least in my opinion), their characters also were royalty that did not actively fight. Maybe it makes more sense for Tauriel to be pretty, but not quite the fairest of them all, y'know? Either way, I'm sure she'll be visually stunning on screen.

And I just have to say Lee Pace is going to make a perfect elf. I'm so happy with his casting. :D

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 1:15 am 
Istari
Istari

Yeah, hopefully they dont make her have a romance with someone, a romance between her and Legolas would probably take up too many scenes (because Legolas is such a popular character), and a romance between her and a dwarf just wouldn't work at all. so for me, romance is not a good idea. hmm...and elf and a dwarf, how strange would that be? lol.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2012, 6:44 pm 

Hey, whoa, leaked picture!

http://arwen-undomiel.com/

Does she seriously have red hair? :blink: That's going to be hard to get used to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next