Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: An Unexpected Journey - first impressions
PostPosted: December 17th, 2012, 10:40 pm 

Isilwen wrote:
My only other nitpick really is that some scenes were out of order from the book. For example, in the book the Eagle scene was supposed to be before they meet Radagast in the book, but again that's just me nitpicking.

Well, we never actually meet Radagast in The Hobbit. Perhaps you were thinking of Beorn? :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 18th, 2012, 2:36 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Yeah, that's who I was thinking. I haven't really even finished the book though because I'm juggiling two other books plus schoolwork had been cutting into my reading time. Thanks for correcting me, Nurrantiel. :)

PostPosted: December 18th, 2012, 8:45 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Quote:
The troll scene.. rather silly.. but I didn't like it much in the book either. If you liked it in the book, you mght find it entertaining in the movie too

I found it hilarious :goofy: based on a children's book or not, it was good comical relief
Quote:
The way the council patrionised Gandalf...

he's always underminded so it seems, but by Saruman, like saying "I'm the boss here", the others were just doubtful because they don't trust dwarves
Quote:
Radagast.. I don't know but it reminded me of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

eh...nah, I found it to be darker.
Quote:
And rabbits?? Seriously, rabbits??? Why?

ha! why not? I loved it :P
Quote:
I LOVED Riddles in the Dark, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!!!! I already mentioned it but it was perfectly balanced with the comic and the serious. You could tell that Gollum is already a very established character. They played on his schizophrenia just perfect.

I agree, it was PERFECT and also in tune with the book, a scarier more schizo Gollum, him and Bilbo played off eachother in an awesome way.
Quote:
The only thing that really annoyed me was Galadriel. The whole dynamic between her and Gandalf was so wrong.

lol a lot of people had issues with that, I had none, for me it seemed like a friendship that goes way back.

Quote:
absolutely is the most perfect Thorin I could ever have hoped for. I loved everything he did, everything he said. I cried like a baby when he accepted Bilbo and hugged him, and inwardly I cursed PJ and vowed never to watch the next two, when he "died" (yes I know he dies eventually but I didn't expect him to die then and I wasn't ready to let him go). I LOVED the moment when he faced the White Orc, it was dramatic and gave a real sense of "if this is how it all ends, then I will make it such an end", which went really well with some of the sacraficial moments in LotR, and carried on the same themes of honour and courage, which I loved to death.

OMG I am IN LOVE with Thorin lol :-o such an amazing, noble, strong character! (looks help too :blink: ) I cried like a BABY, could not STOP when he "died", I mean I knew he wouldn't because I know how it ends but still, omg, I wasn't ready either and bawled like a baby and when he hugged Bilbo I lost it again, such an amazing moment, same with the eagles, all that part was just too epic. When he faced the White Orc was SO EPIC for words, and also loved the fact that went very well with the LOTR themes of honour and courage.
Quote:
Bilbo. Some people might think that Martin Freeman may have have overdone his role, with all the quirks and mannerisms, but these are the kind of performances I love. Bilbo IS eccentric, we know this, and seeing how he reacts to all the strange things that happen to him, as WE would react, was a pure joy to see. I honestly cannot imagine anyone else playing young Bilbo.

me neither, he nailed him! and thought his mannerisms were just perfect, not overdone, his comedic and dramatic timings were on spot, made me love Bilbo SO much more, he's adorable!

Quote:
The Dwarves on the whole, I loved. If I have one complaint it is that so far, only a few of them have "characters". Yes we know there is the fat one and the one with the axe in his head as well as some others, but we don't know much about them yet, something I hope will change.

I'm hoping we'll know more about them because I also felt most of them were just in the background.
Quote:
The new locations. Was it even a possbility that PJ has made New Zealand even more stunning? Where there any new locations to be found? Honestly, so far The Hobbit is more gorgeous than LotR concerning the scenery. The mountain vistas, the plains and the woodlands, it is supremely beautiful to look at.

I cried looking at some of those sceneries, I'm blown away of the majesty(?) of that place
Quote:
About the scenery. At the beginning I started crying because it was so beautiful. I was so happy. (I'm just strange. )

then I guess I'm strange too :P oh I also cried during Misty Mountains *sigh*
about the beginning I loved the background story on the dwarves and Thorin, loved all the places, so stunning! Thranduil riding a moose had me :blink: (keep in mind i read the book in 04, didn't quite remember that lol) he looked kinda...gansta BAHAHA!, also I found it VERY cool that we NEVER see the dragon but you don't NEED to see it to feel the real threat, but the EYE at the end? A-MAZING
Quote:
But probably my favorite moments were when he was talking to Bofur about Bag End, when he was watching Gollum as he was deciding to kill him or not, and when he told Thorin he wanted to help them get their home back

I adored those moments as well, how perfect!
Quote:
but Thorin felt reminiscent of Aragorn to me so maybe that's why.

I found him to be the Aragorn of the dwarven race lol, besides the oh so good looks, his honour, courage, the fact that he is to be King, there are a few similarities between the two.
Quote:
I love how well-blended it was with LotR. And seeing Frodo/Elijah Wood again made me squee inside! Oh teh memoriesssss <3

me too, the tie between the movies, starting the preparations for the Long Expected Party was awesome, loved it!
Quote:
Since the Necromancer was mentioned and is bringing back people from the Dead, my theory is that since this movie is supposed to be pre-LotR that the Necromancer will try to bring back Sauron but somehow fails to completely do so and that's how the Eye of Sauron came to be. Like I said, it's just a prediction, I don't know if this actually happens or will happen...

that's an interesting prediction, I like it. I found it great that we saw the Witch King of Angmar in spirit form like we did on FOTR and got some backstory on it.
overall I thought the movie was perfect, I will see it again, in 2D with mom, she can't see 3D and judging by my headache I shouldn't see in 3D anymore :P

PostPosted: December 19th, 2012, 7:48 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm just going to link you to what I wrote on tumblr about it. It's not long, and it doesn't mention all the things that bothered me the first time, but after having watched it again I find that there are only a few things that really bother me. I really, really loved it this time. I did the first time as well of course, but this time I loved it more because I thought it was a really great movie, and less because it was The Hobbit and I was determined to love it no matter what.

http://aspacesquidorsomething.tumblr.com/post/38339131131/just-got-back-from-town-having-watched-the-hobbit

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 21st, 2012, 2:23 pm 

Ah, the Witch King thing, that did bother me the second time I watched the film. He's... why was he dead? :blink: The Nazgul aren't dead, so why were they burying him? I'm a bit confused by that. Basically, in order for it to make sense, you've got to do a lot of filling in the gaps yourself, and I hope they address this in the next two films, because the Witch King really shouldn't be a ghost.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 12:26 am 
Maia
Maia

Was the Witchking thing just to show that he was a Necromancer? And he can't be dead anyway... unless he somehow 'died' as a human. I did wonder about that, but didn't spend that much time thinking about it. Until now.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 7:51 am 

I don't know whether I heard it in LOTR or read it somewhere, but I thought the Nazgul are somewhere on the brink between living and dying. Perhaps they were locked in a tomb after the fall of Angmar, like Galadriel mentioned in the Hobbit, to prevent them from doing more evil. But this still wouldn't explain what a Necromancer would have to do with the Witch King, unless you take into account that the Necromancer and Sauron are one and the same person, although his disguise is not yet unveiled.

Overall, seeing the movie for the second times was almost better than the first time. The general excitedness had died down a little, so I had more time to give attention to all amazing little details. Now I noticed the Dwarf women doing groceries in Dale during the beginning scenes, and also that Gandalf wipes his pipe at his beard before giving it to Radagast :lol:

I heard some people complaining after the movie that there were too many parts showing only the walking group of Dwarves and lots of New Zealand scenery, but that's what makes this film so wonderful. You actually get to see them walking (not the whole journey ofcourse) instead of just being mysteriously transported from one location to another.

After paying more attention to the different Dwarves I love them even more. I can't wait to see how the characters will develop in the next two movies, but so far I think they did a pretty amazing job giving all 13 something unique. Also, I noticed there's an axe stuck in Bifur's head :p And I really love how they dressed Dwalin, and the tattoos on his skull!

Now I'm wondering if seeing it in high frame rate would make it even better :p

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 1:11 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I saw it too!!! Well, here's what I think:

Favourite Scene

There were several scenes that I really enjoyed, but my favourite was definitely Riddles in the Dark. It was funny and well structured. I also liked it because of Andy Serkis' performance. It's even better than in The Lord of the Rings!!

Favourite Location

Rivendell is a great LotR and The Hobbit location: it's just magical. However Dol Guldur was also amazing. And we'll probably see more of it on the next movie. :)

Favourite Character

My favourite character is usually related to the actor's performance. So my favourite character is Gollum. Andy Serkis is the best Gollum that we will ever see.

About the Movie

When I left the cinema I was very tired and I thought that there were some things that shouldn't have been in the movie, because it was too long (like The White Council, Dol Guldur and The Necromancer). But when I was at home, thinking, I realized that those scenes were important, not for The hobbit, but to understand Tolkien's universe. The story, apart from those things, was faithful to the book.

I can't wait to see The Desolation of Smaug!!

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 7:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I saw the Hobbit last week and I was very impressed with it. I loved the dwarves, especiallly Thorin, Fili, and Kili. Richard Armitage did a great job making Thorin the little diva that he was! I was also impressed with how they added some of the stories from the appendages to make the Hobbit more richer, plus seeing Radagast was pretty cool. The costumes were pretty and it was great seeing Rivendell again. The things I didn't like were Radagast's sled and Thranduil riding an elk. I wish they did make a cameo appearence of Aragorn in Rivendell since he was 10 and living there at the time.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 9:00 pm 

:-o Thranduil's elk was beautiful. I hope it turns up again in the next film. :P It makes sense, though, because I can't imagine horses would be very practical in a thickly wooded setting.

...I wonder if Mirkwood has a cavalry unit that's entirely mounted on deer? :P

PostPosted: December 26th, 2012, 9:38 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The elk was ridiculous and magnificent all at once. But surely, in the woods, horses would be more practical than elk with giant antlers?

@ashwise: I don't think there's any way they could've made Aragorn be in Rivendell without having to do an awful lot of explaining that would take time away from things that are actually relevant to the plot. Also, since The Hobbit is set 60 years before LotR, and Aragorn is roughly 85 in LotR, he would be around 25 at this time, and likely already in exile.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 27th, 2012, 11:45 am 
Elf
Elf

Just back from seeing it again.

Very strange. All the 2D showings today and tomorrow are sold out. But the 3D one I was in was only half full.

I don't understand why people are making such a big fuss about the 3D. It's perfectly fine!

PostPosted: December 28th, 2012, 9:17 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Hravan wrote:

Very strange. All the 2D showings today and tomorrow are sold out. But the 3D one I was in was only half full.

I don't understand why people are making such a big fuss about the 3D. It's perfectly fine!

is not for everyone, some can't CAN'T see it in 3D because they have sight issues and judging by the headache I got by watching it in 3D, I SHOULDN'T see 3D movies anymore, my eyes just couldn't keep up the pace in 3D action scenes (say Smaug's attack for example) and after seeing it in 2D I realize I missed a lot of detail trying to focus my sight on some stuff.I don't regret seeing it in 3D, I did enjoy it and the eagles scene in 3D is spectacular, but god what a headache! lol I won't be seeing The Desolation Of Smaug in 3D

PostPosted: December 30th, 2012, 10:49 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The Good Points:
  • Hobbiton looked good and the party at Bilbo's was well done. Love The Green Dragon!
  • Rivendell looked better after the remodel and the tearing down of some of the cheap-looking gazebos. The remaining ones were better built.
  • Elrond looked better and the acting was more 'Elrondish'
  • Galadriel looked much better, more like Galadriel.
  • The whole 'Riddles In The Dark' bit was good. Andy nailed Gollum again!

The Bad Points:
The rest of the movie. This movie, and I suspect the two coming, and all the added fluff to pad the one book out into three movies, are just more nails in the coffin of J.R.R. Tolkien's legacy. I went to an advance screening for us here in Oz (which means we got to see it when most of the rest of the world did) that required getting dressed up in costume. It was a fun night seeing all the different costumes and the nice photo-shoot and the free drinks and food and all. Yet it was more of a matter of getting through the movie than it was enjoying watching it. It was in the 3D HD 48fps format, which made the effects rather intense. Listening to the people's chatter going in, Peter Jackson has pretty much succeeded in co-opting Tolkien's works, and now in the minds of the idiot masses, they have awarded the tale as his own. My only consolation this time is I haven't spent a cent that will go to the film company or Peter Jackson. I intend to keep it that way.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 10:34 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Maneth Eruvadhril wrote:
Hravan wrote:

is not for everyone, some can't CAN'T see it in 3D because they have sight issues and judging by the headache I got by watching it in 3D, I SHOULDN'T see 3D movies anymore, my eyes just couldn't keep up the pace in 3D action scenes (say Smaug's attack for example) and after seeing it in 2D I realize I missed a lot of detail trying to focus my sight on some stuff.I don't regret seeing it in 3D, I did enjoy it and the eagles scene in 3D is spectacular, but god what a headache! lol I won't be seeing The Desolation Of Smaug in 3D

Yup! I am actually one of those poor souls who can't see 3D, but I scoffed over the extra dollars for the ability to midnight a movie I've been anticipating for so long. I also walked out with a headache, haha. It was still fun, but I really have to go back and watch it in 2D. I just think 2D allows a viewer to better absorb the scenes as a whole and not who/what happens to be particularly enhanced at that moment in filming.

Quote:
Elrond looked better and the acting was more 'Elrondish'

I have to agree with this, that was a huge highlight of the film for me as well. Just watching it, I was thinking, "Yes! Elrond without a perpetual case of the grumpy!"

PostPosted: April 4th, 2013, 8:41 am 
Vala
Vala

I really enjoyed it. And since I'm an emotional sap, I started crying as soon as I could hear music I recognized and I saw the amazing views of The Shire again. There were moments where I felt it was a bit too far from the book, but all in all I think they nailed it quite well actually. I don't think it reached the same level as the trilogy, but it still did a good job.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.