Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Title change for last Hobbit movie
PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 4:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

According the theonering.net and Peter Jackson's Facebook page, the last Hobbit movie will no longer be called "There and Back Again", but will be known as "The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies"

I don't know about you guys, but I was really surprised! I prefer There and Back Again, but BoFA isn't the worst title either :)

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/04 ... ve-armies/

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Title change for last Hobbit movie
PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 5:00 am 

Last week I already read something about "Into the Fire" as a new title for the last Hobbit movie, but that just sounded stupid. I think "Battle of the Five Armies" is a better option, since it's very likely that the entire movie is building up to the battle, which would make it the central event in this last movie. But I still really liked "There and Back Again", it had a very nice ring to it and it was easy to blurt out :lol:

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 10:59 am 
Elf
Elf

Oh no! There and back again would be the best name of the Hobbit films!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 11:24 am 
Istari
Istari

I get why they're changing it, but I agree, There and Back Again sounded better.
It's so much harder to remember to refer to TaBA as BoFA!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 1:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

So I'm pleased that Battle of the Five Armies is a title change, and not as initially suspected a Fourth Hobbit movie. So I guess I'm relieved that its put an end to that line of speculation.

I am still slightly disappointed about the change, There and Back Again is Bilbo's own subtitle for the Hobbit in LotR, so I feel its straying away from the heart of the story a little. I've always liked that TaBa is quite understated as a title- it's like Bilbo had this amazing adventure, but he describes it as something so simple. Maybe that, along with the fact there would be no 'There' to get to in film 3 is why they chose to change.

I think 'Into the fire' is a much weaker title, with Smaug dying, hopefully, fairly early in the film there would be even less fire to go into than there is of getting to 'there'! :)

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 6:41 pm 
Ent
Ent

Honestly, I prefer The Battle of Five Armies as a title, instead of There and Back Again. Yeah, the latter was a good title, but it just wasn't a good fit. It felt more like a subtitle to the whole series, just like how it is in the book.

The new title does make sense, in the fact that is what the plot is about. Just like with the other two. AUJ, because Bilbo was forced on the adventure and didn't feel like he fit in until the end. DoS, everyone in the film is dealing with the aftermath of what Smaug had done, whether it was old ties broken or living in squalor because their home was burned to the ground- correct me if I'm wrong, I got the impression that Laketown's people used to live in Dale.

The film itself would of course be the build up to the battle, the fight, then the aftermath.

TaBA seems more like it should be The Hobbit Trilogy: There and Back Again.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 27th, 2014, 7:09 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I do not like this title as TaBa, but it is nice. I hope PJ use the original TaBa name somewhere and we will be in peace (:

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 5:54 pm 
Istari
Istari

Nomander wrote:
I do not like this title as TaBa, but it is nice. I hope PJ use the original TaBa name somewhere and we will be in peace (:

That could be a possibility. I thought There and back again was a perfect title but this is okay too.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 1st, 2014, 5:54 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think TABA is a better title for the entire trilogy and not just a single entry. Even Tolkien himself wasn't too happy with the title of the final volume in LotR. He wanted to call it the War of the Ring, since he found that Return of the King told people what happened and he wanted there to be a little mystery in the title. And since Bilbo's already technically "there", it didn't make much sense to stick with that title. I'm glad they didn't go with Into the Fire, since that title is too close to the end credits song, I See Fire (which I've never had a problem with, but it did take me a while to get used to) as well as one of Richard Armitage's upcoming movies, Into the Storm (I'm looking forward to this one, since I haven't seen a disaster movie since 2012. I'm referring to the movie, not the year, since the only movie I saw in the year 2012 is AUJ). :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 16th, 2014, 4:24 pm 
Elf
Elf

I'm not super cheesed with the title change... While I wasn't super happy with There and Back Again (as we already did most of the There, so it's better as an overarching name...) I feel like The Battle of the Five Armies makes it seem sort of superficial? Like "hey, there's a big battle in this one!" Duh. But that shouldn't DEFINE the movie, you know??
Also, I don't like the second "The" in the title. "The five armies"... which Five armies? It makes it sound so definite and that it should be obvious but it's not.

Also wondering what PJ is making into the 5th army... The Wargs have only so far been portrayed as the mounts of the goblins/orcs till this point so I don't think they'll be counting as the "fifth" army (assuming that dwarves, elves, men, and orcs are the other four armies).

PostPosted: May 18th, 2014, 1:28 am 
Ent
Ent

We're forgetting the goblins. They would be pretty mad for Gandalf killing their king. Even with the downplaying of the wargs, there are still 5 armies.

- Dwarves
- Elves
- Men
- Orcs
- Goblins

Exactly five.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 25th, 2014, 6:28 am 
Maia
Maia

Fives armies, with Eagle, Beorn, and Warg support.

And I don't like the new name. Change it back.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2022, 8:01 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

The first Hobbit movie was entitled 'An Unexpected Journey', now it's time to change the title. Here you check this concrete driveways chch and get more new ways for material tips. For the last part of filming, which will be released next year, the studio has decided to give it a new name. There has been a lot of talk about the title change for the last Hobbit movie. It seems to be confusing, so let me explain When people see a title like 'The Last Hobbit' they think of it as the last chapter in The Hobbit series; that is not true!