Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gandalf staff
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 11:22 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

heey guys!

I dont know if this is told you in an other topic before but... while I was watching again "the fellowship of the ring" I did see something's wrong.
Saruman took Gandalfs staff while they were fighting in Isengard. a moment later when they are at the Council of Elrond, Gandalf got his staff back. while Saruman still got it...
strange, isn't it? or have I missed something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 1:11 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I noticed that before, but I always thought that he somehow managed to "steal" it from Saruman. But you never actually see what happens to his staff...
That's a really interesting question...But I think they never explain how he got it back...
Maybe he didn't get it back at all, maybe he got a new staff...
But I don't really know....that's gonna bug me forever now...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 4:20 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yeah, I've always wondered that as well.

Perhaps he was able to conjure it away from Saruman when he left Orthanc - if he had done it before Saruman would probably have noticed it was missing.

Or could he have made himself another one and then made it a weapon for magic? Or is it the staff itself that holds the magic and not just some spells you could say over a twig?

He's Gandalf. I try not to question what he can do. ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 6:43 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I think it's Gandalf that holds the power/magic and that the staff is just one of his weapons...like Aragorn was very strong, but only through his sword he could use the strength...If you know what I mean....

Probably Elrond made a new one for him...because you don't see the staff for quite some time and when it turns up again they're at the council, which means that they had been in Rivendell for some time already, so maybe the Elves were able to make a new one for him...or he really just...stole it back from Saruman...

Now that's bugging me...I want to know how he got it back... :bounce:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2008, 10:52 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

perhaps he did make a new one, but then is the question: why doesn't he have a staff in the beginning of the council and at the end he has?
how ever, he could have made a new one. and I also agree with you about Gandalfs power, and not the staff who has power. if that would be so, everyone could be a wizard (perhaps a bad one, but okay)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2008, 12:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, he is magic on his own too, just his power (I think) is channeled through his staff.

Maybe.

Wife of Beren

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2008, 11:51 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I've noticed that before as well.

I always assumed he made or acquired a new one. But who knows.... maybe it was just a mistake by the filmakers. I assumed that after that he would come up with a new one that looked different but when he showed up with one that looked egsactily the same I was kind of wondering about it. *shrugs*

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2010, 10:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Precious wrote:
Well, he is magic on his own too, just his power (I think) is channeled through his staff.

Maybe.

This is, in most fiction, the purposes of staffs and wands for wizards. They act as tools to channel the wixards own abilties onto their target; which is why they tend to be made of woods traditionally associated with certain types of personality. So, a hermit type wizard such as Radagast would most lilkey have a staff of oak, since oak is not only one of th egreat trees of a fores,t but also because it represents wisdom and venerability, in the same way that cypress if I remmber rightly has an association with death and dark magic.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2010, 10:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Precious wrote:

Maybe.

This is, in most fiction, the purposes of staffs and wands for wizards. They act as tools to channel the wixards own abilties onto their target; which is why they tend to be made of woods traditionally associated with certain types of personality. So, a hermit type wizard such as Radagast would most lilkey have a staff of oak, since oak is not only one of th egreat trees of a fores,t but also because it represents wisdom and venerability, in the same way that cypress if I remmber rightly has an association with death and dark magic.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 1:04 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I have wondered about this too. lol. I think... I always concluded, way down there in my subconscious, that a new identical staff was made to replace the one he had lost. Though this is Gandalf we are talking about so he might have conjured it back. :blink:

Man... Now I am going to be stuck on this for the next few days. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:28 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Well he probably got a new staff, I think that the wizards staff isn't something that is so important, it's more something like an object that channels his mind power. So he has probably just sent a "request" to the Valar or he made one himself :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 1:20 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Heh.
I'm pretty sure it was just a minor error. Not a huge one... but one nonetheless.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 2:30 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I looked at some picture's of Gandalf's staff before and after Isengard and noticed some differences in the staff's design. This has officially made me believe that he obtained a new staff after his encounter with Saruman.

Before:

After:

Instead of the branches (I am going to call them) going upwards like the original... after Isengard the branches now go to one side. I can only assume dear Gandalf had his pipe remade as well since Saruman stole it along with his original staff. Until Gandalf tells me otherwise that is what I am going with. XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 1:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes!! I noticed that, too.

Wife of Beren

Post subject: Re: Gandalf staff
PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 9:26 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I never noticed any of this! But the fact that he escaped fighting Saurman and he didn't have the staff shows that he got a new one. Right?

Post subject: Re: Gandalf staff
PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 12:50 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

... A Wizard did it! :goofy:

http://roleplayultimum.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://kyototig.posterous.com/shop-bann ... nd-baubles