Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What do you think of Boromir?
obviously had ring issues, but redeemed himself in the end 100%  100%  [ 41 ]
got what he deserved 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject: Re: Poll: Was Boromir good or bad?
PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 12:52 am 
Istari
Istari

I love the scene when he was teachin Merry and Pippin how to use a sword, i think thats my favorite Boromir moment, if not favorite than its definitely up there. That and when he's in Lothlorien and he talks about Gondor and he's describing its beauty...

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 9:08 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Boromir is such a lovely character! *cough* not my favourite*cough, cough* but really close to my favourite. Tolkien obviously had to have at least one character who was overcome by the temptation of the ring and using a man in the fellowship was a brilliant idea. He was a good, strong man that let the pressures and troubles around him affect him in a manner that led to his downfall. I love the scene in Lothlorien too where he's telling Aragorn about Gondor and about his father, Denithor. I have to say though, that my absolute favourite Boromir moment would have to be his death scene, I cry every time. :blush:

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 11:41 pm 
Istari
Istari

Lol, yeah I think Boromir is really close to your favorite character. You like his father right? :goofy: (dont worry, I know its Faramir, and he totally rocks!) Oh good, there's someone else who cries every time they see Boromir die. Even though I've seen it a million times, it still makes a few tears fall. And I feel so sorry for him when he realizes that he was possessed by the Ring and tries to take it from Frodo, he's so ashamed of himself and fearful of the danger he put Frodo in. Well so far it seems like no one is on the 'got what he deserved' side of the fence.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2011, 12:22 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Boromir had no further knowledge of the ring, of how desctructive it was. He only knew it was powerful enough to save his people.

I must agree, Boromirs death is my favourite but saddest scene.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 9:29 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ring corrupted even Ringbearer, so it's not Boromir's fault it corrupted him as well. I think hewasgood man and he showed it at his end. Hisdeath was one of most heartbreaking things in first movie.

set by skitty

PostPosted: July 12th, 2012, 5:50 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

he was a good man just corrupted by the ring but when he rescued merry and pippin he was very heroic

PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 8:57 pm 
Ent
Ent

I love Boromir's character, and I felt plenty of pathos for him when I watched the film (definitely while reading the book). You all have brought up excellent points. I never thought of him as arrogant so much as being very prideful of his kingdom and highly aware of his responsibilities. I think it is perfectly understandable how he feels the rest of ME should feel gratitude toward Gondor for keeping Sauron's shadow at bay. His behavior at the Council is not out of line, because to be honest, the Elves are infuriatingly passive about the large scheme of things.
He is more susceptible to the powers of the Ring because of these shades to his character, sentiments of desperation and want for power [to protect his people].
He naturally has a gruff exterior and is the least chummy with the members of the Fellowship because of his misgivings concerning the journey, as well as his hostility toward Aragorn.

His final scenes in FotR are some of my favorite ones in the whole trilogy, because it is heartbreaking to see such a Man fall to his death.
His climactic confrontation with Frodo provides a chilling example of how the Ring exerts madness over its victims.

When I finally got my mother to watch FotR with me, her favorite character was Boromir. ^^ Although I think her opinion had more to do with Sean Bean's charisma...she was really sad when he died.
Which, by the way, has to be one of my favorite death scenes ever. That final conversation with Aragorn---

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 10:05 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I am one of the movie 1st, book 2nd fans. I truly believe Boromir was good. I see it in a simple way in that I see that Boromir was a good warrior, good leader, good son, & good brother.
But even a good man has weaknesses, even as Boromir was a good man the power of the ring exposed something in him that I am sure he never had probably never dealt with or felt in his life & that is to feel weak. But having a weakness takes absolutely nothing away from the fact that Boromir was a good man.....so yes I vote good!

And I totally agree with the comment about Boromir's death scene being favorite death scene ever in a movie as it is just awesome!

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 6:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I agree with basically everyone on this thread! But I just hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE Denethor! He is SO MEAN to his sons!
I'm mad at myself because Boromir used to be one of my least favourite characters. But I'm pretty happy I changed, because I finally saw his humanity.

Therefore I believe Boromir is good.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 7:08 pm 
Ent
Ent

Most Precious Gollum wrote:
I truly believe Boromir was good. I see it in a simple way in that I see that Boromir was a good warrior, good leader, good son, & good brother.
But even a good man has weaknesses, even as Boromir was a good man the power of the ring exposed something in him that I am sure he never had probably never dealt with or felt in his life & that is to feel weak. But having a weakness takes absolutely nothing away from the fact that Boromir was a good man.....so yes I vote good!

aralas_29 wrote:
I'm mad at myself because Boromir used to be one of my least favourite characters. But I'm pretty happy I changed, because I finally saw his humanity.

Yay for Boromir supporters! He is a noble character who is not without flaws.

I was actually sad when Boromir got eliminated in the best character elimination game thread we have on here...I tried hard to keep him alive but alas, there were others who were greatly opposed to him living. :explode: hahaha

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2013, 7:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nicole wrote:
Most Precious Gollum wrote:
I truly believe Boromir was good. I see it in a simple way in that I see that Boromir was a good warrior, good leader, good son, & good brother.

aralas_29 wrote:

Yay for Boromir supporters! He is a noble character who is not without flaws.

I was actually sad when Boromir got eliminated in the best character elimination game thread we have on here...I tried hard to keep him alive but alas, there were others who were greatly opposed to him living. :explode: hahaha

Ditto!!! I started + -ing Boromir in the first place :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 4:09 am 
Vala
Vala

I didn't like the two options there. Boromir didn't have ring issues, he had daddy issues. His father was basically saying "you get the ring, or you're nothing to me". And Boromir and Faramir have probably both grown up with that kind of mentality their whole lives, so for Boromir of course there's a weak moment where he thinks the ring can actually help Gondor, but in reality that's just an opinion an delusion he has due to years of mental abuse by his father. Boromir in himself has no ring issues and is not a bad person. He is a victim of mental abuse and it leads him down the wrong path. I know that feel, I've been mentally abused too, and I've done things I'm not proud of because of it.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 9:37 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I don't like it how everyone says BOROMIR IS A BAD GUY, it's a lie!
:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

GROUP EXPLOSION!!!

^Banners by EraisuithielS

PostPosted: March 31st, 2014, 5:08 pm 
Istari
Istari

I totally agree that he was good.
On a side note it's not in the movie but in the book He is the reason they didn't freeze on Caladrhas. He told them that they should bring firewood. Though you do see a glimpse of that because he is gathering more firewood when he runs into Frodo near the end. It seemed that Peter Jackson must not have liked the character much because his scenes were cut more than anyone's. And as was said in another topic he isn't even shown getting his gold belt from Galadriel. It's a shame.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 18th, 2014, 7:19 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Boromir is my ultimate favourite character and as such, you all make me so proud! *wipes away tear*
There is not much else I can add on the matter that hasn't already been said. If it wasn't almost 4am, I honestly would have actually applauded Nurr's post. It was very well said and the psychology Bellatrix pointed out is very true. The weight of Gondor's protection and survival really did fall on Boromir. Finduilas's death was extremely difficult for Denethor and his constant use of the Anor-stone/palantír took a major toll on his mind and body.
Not to mention, the ring also has a will of it's own. People seem to forget this all the time. With so much already praying on Boromir's mind the Ring saw him as the easiest target and took advantage of it.

He was not a bad man by any means. The weight forced on his shoulders caused him to collapse under the Ring's constant influence. Anyone who claims that Boromir is an evil character disappoints me and needs to look closer.

Well said posts again everyone. :hug: for all!

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 9:28 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I think the first movie doesn't do Boromir justice honestly. (I don't even remember now if it is in RoTK extended or if it is in the theater version) but once you find out WHY he wants the ring so bad and once you discover the struggle between the family (Boromir, Denathor, and Feramir) and how Boromir is kind of smashed in the middle of it... it makes way more sense why he acts the way he does in the first movie.

Obviously the ring had effected him, but it is kind of like Gandalf said even about himself, he would have used the ring out a desire to do good. It just would consume the bearer and wielded evil through their good intent.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM