Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: A-U Revival: news/new content
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:53 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

Once we get the main site fixed up, funded and looking new we'll need new content to attract new visitors. anyone who is interested in finding/reporting news stories, scouring the web for videos and images or capping clips as they appear should start discussing here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:02 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I tend to be one of the last people to find stuff out. Theres only one thing I'm always on top of and keep on top of: movie release dates. And I guess unless you want someone for that, I should back away from this thread, lol.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:07 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I tend to be one of the last people to find stuff out. Theres only one thing I'm always on top of and keep on top of: movie release dates. And I guess unless you want someone for that, I should back away from this thread, lol.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 12:24 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I guess, one good way to get news/content would be to appoint some people who can add it, code it etc. But also appoint some people who actively look for things be it news, pictures, or just generally something that AU hasn't got, but could do with having. That will save time and hopefully speed up the process.

And I also think from a vistors point of view, eventually we need a group of people to take a section each, and to look over every link every image and compile a list of what needs fixing. As well as a list of "do we really need this?" for some things that might be a bit outdated.

I would be quite happy to help with either of these things.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 1:36 pm 

I definitely like looking for news and photos, so this is right up my alley.

And I agree with JF that looking over everything should really be done. I'm one of those crazy people who loves organizing and making things all neat, so I'd actually enjoy doing that.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:35 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yes me too. It will probably be a long list and not just include broken things, but also things that can be made better.

I know one section where nothing needs adding will be the screencaps. Except perhaps fixing the order in which they appear. They have been mixed up for years now. :blink:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 11:13 pm 

YES. Those have been driving me nuts. So much so that I had to find another screencap site with them in order.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 11:24 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

:teehee:

I still don't know how the tricksy things went wrong anyway. I mean, how can coding take on a life of its own? :blink:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 5:07 am 

^That's exactly what coding does... which is why it drives people mad... :P

Since this is always a thread to suggest new content.. Perhaps we should have a place to put fanvideos.. both the really good ones from YouTube and the fanmade LotR movies like The Hunt For Gollum..

And we need new content in the humour section. There's gotta be so much new stuff out there, just waiting to be found and laughed at!! :)

Otherwise, yay, for you organising people!! :hug:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 3:04 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yes, a fan videos section would be really good, and there will be tons more to be added to the humour section and places like that as well. I'll be having a proper look around AU later and see what can be seen.

Also, I think it would be nice if the graphics section could include member graphics and not just Arwen's. It will mean more choice for members and also visitors. :yes:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 3:24 pm 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Also, I think it would be nice if the graphics section could include member graphics and not just Arwen's. It will mean more choice for members and also visitors. :yes:

There's already a section for fan-made graphics, but a lot of the images are outdated.

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/fan.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 3:30 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ That's probably why I never remembered them being there. :lol:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 3:32 pm 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

It's all right - I didn't know about it either until I was browsing the Main page just now. I think a lot of that section can be cleaned up, or maybe just condensed somehow so that it doesn't take up as much space? I mean, there's 11 pages of graphics that hardly anyone looks at anymore... :erm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 3:40 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I think, to be honest, there would have to be a major clearout of some stuff. I think really any graphic that doesn't fit into AU anymore - everyone here has really progressed making grahics over the years and I think AU deserves to have good graphics on offer - should be removed. And although it doesn't really matter, but a lot of those graphics are made by people who aren't on here or who were never on here, so we shouldn't be concerned about offending people.

So whether we vote on each graphic, or pick say 8 graphics makers to vote on each graphic, that is the way it should be.

And when it comes to adding new graphics, again perhaps a graphic group should vote OR like dA there are rules - graphics must be your best, only submit one new graphic a week etc. So once say 50 banners, 50 avatars have been added to each section, keeping them coming in slowly, so there is always new stuff, but not tons.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think the credit underneath each banner looks a little... meh. If people really want credit it would be better if it was on the banner instead.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 8:10 pm 
Istari
Istari

I know I first got interested in graphics mainly because of what I saw of Arweb's banners. I know how much that section meant to me, and I always checked to see if there were updates, even though I wasn't a member of the site. I agree that only the best work should be shown in the fan section, as the ones that are up now aren't very impressive. A voting committee is a good idea as well. :yes: And should Arweb's old banners stay up?

I think it also might be interesting if each member had a section on the main graphics site where their work could be put. A link to their graphics thread here on the forum could then be posted. I know I completely ignored the forum when I joined, and if people saw a link to more graphics, they might be more willing to check out the forum and join it. I think the first part of the forum I saw was Arweb's claim thread. :-D

Should the work posted on the main site only be LotR related? I know that most people don't make too many LotR graphics anymore, and I myself only make Aragorn/Eowyn banners. It's definitely something to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 9:03 pm 

SilverRose wrote:
I know I completely ignored the forum when I joined, and if people saw a link to more graphics, they might be more willing to check out the forum and join it. I think the first part of the forum I saw was Arweb's claim thread. :-D

Same here. :D

I just took a look through the whole site. The fan and art sections both really need to be cleaned out. I think we should keep Arwebs banners, or at least a good amount of them, but most of the rest really are oudated and you can tell. Nothing against anyone who made them, software has just improved a lot in 5 years.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next