Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2011, 9:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thoughts, if you want them.

Having added my share of the censored words to the current filter something like six years ago, I can safely say that my personal standards for what I'd now deem censor-worthy have certainly changed. Obviously the (former) moderating team has had varying levels of comfort with swearing, so some things that some moderators didn't necessarily find offensive were added to the filter by others who did object. On the subject of racial slurs that are "usable" (as well as any other possibly-offensive terms that aren't censored), I can only say that it's probably because most of us didn't think of those terms off the top of our heads (aww, we were such an innocent bunch :teehee: ), or that we've never had the issue of anyone using them.

So, this isn't my domain anymore (haha! domain! domain name! wow, I'm a dork...), but just as a side note, I would be perfectly comfortable with your choosing to take some of the currently censored words out of the censor (d@mn, cr@p, etc.). The average age of A-U members has certainly increased, and I don't think many people would be offended by this change (although The Hobbit will bring in a new generation of fans, some on the youngish side - some of them probably weren't even BORN when FotR came out, how's that for a scary thought to make you feel ancient...). And if you want to make it a PG-13 forum, then by all means look up language standards for PG-13 movies and use those as a basis for what people can and cannot say. (As another side note, current internet laws in at least the US say that a child under 13 can't give out personal information without parental consent, which means no joining forums. The current A-U signup form requires that new members under 13 obtain this consent before joining, but changing the rules to "no members under 13 period" isn't really much of a shift.)

On the topic of administration in general, I still suggest that you make clear what sort of rules/guidelines you'll be following before anyone considers becoming a moderator. Becoming a moderator because you want to see a bunch of changes in the way the forum is run and think you have the best shot changing it from the inside causes issues. It's never been pleasant when we've had moderators go against the team and start to moderate things according to their personal standards :(

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2011, 11:11 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Glad to see you helping us out here, Arweb!

With the subject of the blocked out words. When it comes to ratings, it seems like even those have changed and become more lax. Like what would have been considered a rated R movie way back when(no specific time period on purpose) might be rated PG-13 today. Or at least that's what it seems like. So I like Arweb's suggestion of looking up what exactly rates a movie, at least when it comes to the swearing. My personal opinion would be not to mess with the blocked words. BUT that might be because I grew up in a household that didn't care for swearing and because I'm probably one of the youngest to be contributing to the conversation, and I'm pretty sure the youngest in all the revival threads.

^And your part about the age made me chuckle in a guilty way because I was a few months short of being 13 when I joined the forum... though I did have parental consent. But I do know some kids that fake their age on websites to be able to join and other things. So unless people fess up their age, this rule is really hard, if impossible, to enforce.

So far, though, the only thing about the rules that has been discussed to want change is the beeped out words, and the rule about discussing politics/religion. And I"m pretty sure I've stated how I feel about both subjects now...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 8:39 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

I don't know how helpful looking up the PG-13 rules will be, since those ratings allow the f-bomb to be dropped twice a movie, along with certain other words that wouldn't be appropriate. I definitely agree with the words that have been mentioned, however.

However, I don't think any other rules should be changed. THey've worked out very well so far.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 1:57 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

@Tar: True true.

Okay, so... should we maybe get a list of members together willing to be mods/leaders so that the current mods/admin can maybe "interview" them to see if they fit the bill to be new mods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2011, 12:12 am 

Just thought I'd post a recap and perhaps some things we should be focusing on so we can keep this on track. :)

Staff/Admin:
Alatariel
Arsaniel
Arwëon
Bellethiel
Belowen
Elanor
Eleniel
Elvawen
Eruadan
Evenstar
FRODOFAN
Herenya
InsanelyGiddy1
Ivreniel
Jo
Kitoky
Master-of-Tookland
Maetharanel
Medivh
Miremiel (llama)
Nienor
..Rumil..
Sidawethiel
SwordofNankar, the
Thenidiel
tindomerel
Tulk
Valaraukar
vikingmaiden

MODERATORS ON DUTY FOR THE NEW A-U
- Sidawethiel
- Kitoky

[Is there anyone I missed here?]

What needs to be done?
- We should probably assemble some group of people who can split up the mod list and attempt to contact some of them so that we can be sure of which mods are willing to come back and help/mentor.
- Also, I think we should have a consensus on The Rules. Should we change them to PG-13? Should we uncensor words like d@mn, cr@p, etc.?

Once we get this worked out then I think we can move onward to mod nominations. [If that's the way we're going with that. :) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 11:28 am 

I have no problem hanging around still to help things get going/new mods get the feel for the job! :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2011, 10:04 pm 

Ivy! Thank goodness! It's so good to hear from you again. I'll get you on the list right away. :)

Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: staff/administration
PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 12:45 am 

Arwen, any idea where we are on an admin perspective? I know you and the remaining mods have been discussing new mods. Can we get a time frame on that? Obviously it isn't an absolutely pressing matter. As you can see from the list I've been fairly successful in compiling our list of mods for the new A-U. [Although I'm sure you've already been in talks with them.]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 6:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Lar, sorry I didn't get back to you before now. I've called up the troops (i.e. the mods I still have some contact with) and asked them to weigh in :) Hopefully we'll have some new moderator appointments before long!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 11:47 pm 

That's all right. :) I know you've been busy helping elsewhere with the revival. It's just nice to see where things are at.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 3:26 am 

Any chance our 'old' moderators will be returning and become more active again? It would be great to have them back. :)
They were so much fun not only as mods, but also as people. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 2:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Mods are people? Lolwut? :teehee:

I've heard from Elanor, Sidawethiel, Nienor, and Ivreniel lately :) Dunno how active they plan on being in the future, but they're lurking about! Maybe we can convince them to participate more. PEER PRESSURE!

Don't listen to me - I have absolutely NO leg to stand on talking about people being active after my couple years' absence :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 11:45 pm 

Eä, look at the first page for the list of mods who will be returning and who will not. I've been in contact with most of them within the last month. :)

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 5:21 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

CONGRATS TO THE NEW MODS!!!

I have to say, you are an awesome group to have as Mods. :yes:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 6:26 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

*Peaks head in tentatively* I blame my new job for lack of activeness lately

I just want to say, YAY new Mods!

Just a quick question, who all are the new mods now? I see Zandain and Lareal with pretty rainbow stars, who else, might I ask, has gotten them?

And I must admit, I was surprised to see them when I scrolled down the page and saw more rainbow stars in older threads than there had been before... I think I was in shock for a few seconds. But I supose that's what happens when you get a little inactive...

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2011, 6:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ If you check the announcements board you'll see the list. :P

I would like to take this opportunity to kiss the feet of those who didn't choose me, as I have so much to regarding the revival, my head would most certainly, have exploded with anymore tasks. So... kissy kissy... :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next