Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 29  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 8:20 pm 

I like the first image the most, at the moment. The colors stand out well and so forth. Also, I think the tree provides a nice balance for Arwen. I wouldn't try to integrate it too much, because it helps the eye move around the image.

Also:
Arwen the webmaster wrote:
Text - love the font. Would definitely recommend NOT making it green, though. One of my biggest self-criticisms for the current layout is that the site title doesn't stand out nearly enough. Site regulars will be able to read it; newbies, not so much. Maybe try more of a screened effect, or even a white-to-light-blue type of gradient to tie the text in with the bluebells/dress. A faint bevel could help it seem less flat as well.

I definitely agree with this.

With the links: I quite like the 4.1 and 4.3 layouts, as they provide enough of a contrast from the main image to set the links apart. But I think with this, a sort of screened whitish bar would probably be fine. Yeah. I think you have a good handle on color though. :P

Oh! And some of the links were changing I forgot about that. The links that you'll need to put on the header are:
Home
Books
Film
Media
Elvish
Links
Site
Chat
Gallery
Awards
Fun
Misc

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2011, 8:46 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Ok, thanks for all the comments guys. :D

Yes, I don't like the green myself, I should have used white as I would have been able to see the positioning better and get a better idea of how the font looks.

I mainly slapped the ivy on the tree to show just how bad my brushes are, even with inner bevels. :P I'm not such a fan of the ivy now I've been looking at it, as I think anything on the tree might distract from Arwen.

So what I plan on doing is re-starting the whole thing again with less sharpness, less dull hair and different font and any other little things people suggested. I only saved at certain stages and now I can't really go back and fix things, so it's the best thing to do, and now I know I'm heading in the right area and it's not just a "tester" I can be a bit more careful with how I erased things etc.

Hopefully I can do this tomorrow when I have X amount of time to devote myself, but I'm really grateful for all the comments and I'm glad you guys approve of what I'm trying to do. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 3:28 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I'm really liking what you're aiming for JF/Gimli! Gorgeous colors and a great lush look.

I definitely agree with Arwen about the text, the ivy and the hair, but you're already on to it so I'll just leave you to it. :)

As for fonts, I really love all the Jellyka fonts:

http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-vampire-s ... om&psize=l
http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-beesantiq ... om&psize=l
http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-castles-q ... om&psize=l
http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-western-p ... om&psize=l
http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-endless-v ... om&psize=l
http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-waterways ... om&psize=l

I think Jellyka Vampire Street would look absolutely gorgeous since it's so swirly and pretty!

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 4:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Aww, you mean you don't think http://www.dafont.com/jellyka-love-and- ... domiel.com would be a good choice? :teehee:

A lot of the others are really gorgeous, though, especially the Vampire Street one Eru suggested, as long as it's legible enough. JF, maybe once you get the graphic narrowed down to the text bit, you could experiment with drop caps and possibly text on a path to make it more interesting. Nothing too extreme (yeah, the whole waving-flag-ish text-on-a-path thing...maybe not so much xD) but it could add interest.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 2:07 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I like the first banner as well, and agree with Arweb on most of the things she said about the banners.

And I love the vampire font that Eru chose!

I think you all are doing a great job with planning out the majority of the banner. But what about the hobbits? I know they kind of snuck their way into the banner, but they don't seem to fit very well to me, and for the most part, unless you know what it is before, it's hard to tell it's actually hobbits. So... what are we going to do about the hobbits? Wouldn't we want something that you can tell they're hobbits, but they're not the focal point, either?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 5:54 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I agree with Raina, the hobbits should be more prominent (without overshadowing Arwen), or not there at all.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 5:58 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Thanks Eru. Glad you like where this is going. :-)

Vampire Street is gorgeous! :swoon: *downloads for self*

If I find the time tonight, I will try that on the current header and show you what it looks like. :yes:

I definitely hadn't set on one particular font, so when the rest of the header is complete/approved, it will be fun to mess around with different fonts/effects etc.

Which could take a while. :P Finding the right combination is one thing I am very fussy about.

^ Hmm... do you have any ideas? One of my other ideas for a header was using the scene of the Elves leaving Rivendell + Arwen in her cloak + Frodo and Sam looking on.... but once we went with green, I thought turning that whole misty looking scene into some sort of green colour would have ruined it, so that's why I never attempted that. Also it's a pretty sad scene and we want happy and summery! :D

I can maybe bring the images of Sam and Frodo walking nearer the forefront and see how that looks? I just wouldn't want to make it so obvious that they detract from Arwen. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 5:59 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I'm glad more people are loving the Vampire Street font! :)

And yeah I agree about the Hobbits, if you're going to have them in the banner make sure you can tell at first glance that they're actually there without taking the focus off Arwen!

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 7:14 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I think it'd be nice if it were like "ooh, pretty!Arwen. wait what's that? hobbits! that is so cool! :D" if you catch my drift ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 7:19 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well I'll have to see what I can do. The images I used were ideal as they were already walking through a field of grass, so the motion suited. I don't want to just stick an image of Frodo there and it looking out of place.

Once the rest of the header is complete, forest/Arwen etc, I'll have a look at what I can incorporate into the image.

Maybe I can get Frodo to be sitting under a tree, I'm not sure, but you're probably going to have to be prepared for it not looking very large. Perspective-wise, it would be odd having a large Hobbit in the foreground with an Elf not much bigger. Maybe I need to borrow PJ's dolly. :lol:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 7:29 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^yeah, there would be no point in having a hobbit there if he looked completely out of place. it doesn't have to be large though, it's just with the one you did before you couldn't really tell they were hobbits because their backs were turned.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: layout & coding
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 5:18 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ok, so I tried again with the header this afternoon.

First thing you should (hopefully) notice is that I used a different background but still kept with the bluebell theme. I know the last background image was pretty well liked, but I thought maybe one more attempt with a different image, to give you guys another option. I personally really like this image, although I think it is more blue, it just looks... prettier to me... :P ... although harder to get the colours right. :teehee:

Anyway, as you can see it is the bare bones, no text, no Hobbits, no nothin'. I *think* this header will be easier to incoporate any Hobbits (I was thinking maybe Gandalf + Sam + Frodo = Halfing and Gandalf on epic journey = The Hobbit?) but I haven't even begun to look at images, so I guess time will tell.

I really tried to get Arwen's hair to look like it wasn't just a black puffball. Hopefully you can see some definition there now and it suits the whole image better than it just being big and black. I also experimented with how to get the rest of the header glowy (if people want that) whilst still keeping her hair, non-black and pouffy.

Getting the dress to match these particular bluebells was actually harder than can be believed, and while they are not the perfect matches, I think they look OK. But I will try again if needs be.

Also, just for the heck of it, there is a version with a bit of "lighting". I tried various things to get a look of the sun on Arwen, and nothing looked right to me at all. This, I kinda like, but probably not for AU. :P

And as AU won't allow anything to be posted other than 700xwhatever, the headers are now all links. :P

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1882/headerkar.png

^ This is the basic header. Arwen + bluebells. Ta-da!

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9393/header1z.png

^ The glowy one. Tried to keep as much detail to Arwen's hair, as I said and the soft blue does also do a lot for the colours of the bluebells and the dress.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7940/header2cl.png

^ This is the slightly different version, with the blue lighting on the side. No idea what the light might represent but I do quite like it and it gives the picture a little *oomph*, but again, maybe not for AU.

So if enough people scream "perfecto", then I can get to work on the font and really play around with colours/etc. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 5:23 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

They look lovely, but as a logo for this forum i would like to see more blue, the green might look awkward ^^

But great graphic. ;)

With love, by Lembas.

'The rewards of flirting are more greater than the risks, be sexy and provocative.'

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 5:41 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

That looks great, JF. I personally like the third one best. And the first, except I don't really get the same feeling of Arwen standing in the forest that I get from the other two. The second is pretty too, but I feel like it has a bit too much of an icy feel, not very forest-y. So, yeah.

Also, GoldStrike: The website's going to go green, so that's why the header is green-y.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 5:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

These are looking great, JF! I think right now the first one's my favorite. The second one is pretty, but screams "banner effects!" a little too much - I think a more natural look might be nice. I like where you're going with the lighting on the third one, but it's a little yellowy-green for my taste - especially for skintones, it creates a look more sickly than luminescent healthy elf. (Okay, at this point, maybe Arwen should look sickly since she's going all mortal and everything...but anyway :-P)

You did a wonderful job keeping more detail in the hair! I'd add a liiiiiittle bit more contrast though to get some true black in there, though, because it looks a little washed out right now. Maybe you could dodge the highlights to make them stand out a bit and darken the rest? The blue of her dress against the bluebells looks amazing. It's a bit of a hard picture to cut out while making the edge look natural, so I'd still recommend making the immediate background just a teensy bit darker - maybe take the burn brush on a really low, soft setting and gradually darken the area right around her. Or you could try darkening the whole background, but I think it would help to blend things a little more. You could try including some of the background of the original Arwen image at low opacity, too.

Ah, and just as a thought, I looked at the third version again, and I really do like the contrast on this one more. Maybe you could diffuse-glowify some of the skin tones and the silver trim on the dress to make them a little less yellowy? Or selectively shift the hue or saturation?

By the way, do you want to get rid of her peeping bra strap? :teehee:

Fantastic job!

Btw, I changed the image settings to allow pictures up to 750px wide, so you can include the headers inline if you want :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 6:10 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Oh, *beep*. I posted the links in the wrong order. The SECOND link is the one with the lighting effect, the THIRD one is just the normal image with glowyness.

But I guess everyone figured that out anyway. :P I was just wondring why you thought the second one screamed banner effects... then I checked the link. Duh. :duh:

I will see what I can do regarding making her hair more contrasting - just everytime I do that her hair goes darker. I will also try to make the background areas behind her darker - especially around her left shoulder.

Getting the colours less yellow looking around her face shouldn't be too hard either. Is that really a bra strap? :teehee: It shall be gone whatever it is.

Thanks for all the comments guys. :D

P. S Thanks for the width change Arwen. :-) Any chance removing one of Jack Sparrows favourite words from the censor list? :whistle:

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 29  Next