Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: A-U Revival: forum
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:43 am 

Here is the topic to discuss the forum in general.
Adding new sub-boards, re-arranging them, and what content we want where.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Discussions/topics that have been brought up

- Whether we should add/remove/merge sub-forums?

- Whether we should or should we not add a sub-forum where discussions on religion/politics would be allowed?

- Whether the news team should or should not have a seperate (invisible) sub-forum?

- Whether we should change/update the forum rules?

- The possibility of saving/moving content to sort of a web archive

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on January 18th, 2011, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 6:15 am 

The things we already talked about in the first Revival threads were how to spark activity on the various sub-boards but perhaps this is the time to evaluate and re-think the general set up.
Will we keep our LotR boards as they are? Do we need a seperate sub-forum for The Hobbit now, and what about the rest of the sub-boards? For example it has been suggeted to remove/re-title the Signature board entirely and just have a main testing thread. Or none at all because you can see what your signature looks like on any of your posts and your profile.

Well, it doesn't take main priority at the moment but I think it would be interesting to open up for that discussion. This is quite esential to the whole feel of A-U (like we have been quite upset every time the mods have meddled with threads. :teehee:) so I'm sure there are multiple opinions on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:27 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I do think that we should give the Hobbit its own subforum or it'll end up in Khazad-dum, not that theres anything wrong with that but if the Hobbit brings more members, having its own subforum will help.

@El: the thing with having a subforum like that(adult discussion) is that I could see it turning into something of a debate thread which is against AU rules I beleive. And in a way it wouldnt be fair to younger members unless they likewise got one.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:30 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

(Edit in a form of a doublepost because mobile device wont let me edit:) And I'm not saying that, El, because I myself am shy of being an official adult. But instead maybe we can make that debate forum that was made more official.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 6:07 pm 

Actually, the thing that would worry me about an "adult" part of the forum would be having allowance/restriction by other means than date of birth. It seems far too fluid and subjective to say one person is mature enough, and another isn't. We all will have different thoughts on that. I could just see letting some people in and some not be a potential problem.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 6:11 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
Actually, the thing that would worry me about an "adult" part of the forum would be having allowance/restriction by other means than date of birth. It seems far too fluid and subjective to say one person is mature enough, and another isn't. We all will have different thoughts on that. I could just see letting some people in and some not be a potential problem.

I'm of the same opinion. I don't think this is a good idea and there's no chance that this is going to work out very well or at all. I think we should just to discussing controversial topics on an entirely different message board.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 7:02 pm 

I agree with Haldir. Any debates should be held on an entirely different forum. Politics and religion are far too divisive to discuss, unless people are specifically sniffing out a debate. A sub-forum, in my opinion, is too close. People could wander over there, see people bashing their view-points, take it personally, and jump in. A separate site is enough removed so that if you really like a good argument, you can go there, but if you don't, you don't have to be bothered by it. Didn't Eru or someone set up an A-U debate forum a few years ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 7:15 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Ok, I have been having a good look around AU today, specfically at the sub forums, and the categories and what we generally offer to visitors and just how popular certain areas are or how much we need them.

Announcements
Introduce Yourself

FOTR (book) [109 topics; 4,603 posts]
TTT (book) [57 topics; 1,757 posts]
ROTK (book) [61 topics; 2,658 posts]
Silmarillion [79 topics; 3,433 posts]
Misc Tolkien [237 topics; 4,651 posts]

FOTR (film) [70 topics; 3,175 posts]
TTT (film) [77 topics; 3,017 posts]
ROTK (film) [122 topics; 3,696 posts]
Other related films [62 topics; 1,506 posts]
Misc movie [133 topics; 4,016 posts]

LOTR soundtracks [99 topics; 1,988 posts]
LOTR gaming [69 topics; 865 posts]
Languages [109 topics; 1,677 posts]
Misc LOTR [381 topics; 42,203 posts]

RPG new characters [427 topics; 6,671 posts]
LOTR RPG [386 topics; 49,998 posts]
Non-LOTR RPG [1208 topics; 138,722 posts]
Help & Ideas [233 topics; 3,983 posts]

LOTR actor swoon [55 topics; 6,654 posts]
Actors movies [104 topics; 1,885 posts]
Misc actors [68 topics; 1,570 posts]
Non-LOTR actors [132 topics; 4,081 posts]

Movies & TV [803 topics; 49,626 posts]
Literature [382 topics; 12, 822 posts]
Music [621 topics; 68,492 posts]
Your Life [1,598 topics; 83,502 posts]
Misc. Randomness [1,026 topics; 190,137 posts]

Fav. LOTR sites [73 topics; 493 posts]
Fav. Non-LOTR sites [139 topics; 824 posts]
Your site [453 topics; 31,828 posts]
Site help [155 topics; 859 posts]
Resources & tutorials [54 topics; 356 posts]

Fan art [1,015 topics; 22,218 posts]
Fanfiction & poetry [807 topics; 5,999 posts]
Requests [1,363 topics; 44,434 posts]
Resources & tutorials [395 topics; 2,967 posts]

Clubs [594 topics; 128,443 posts]
Signatures & avatars [335 topics; 2,575 posts]
Contests [2,162 topics; 46,050 posts]
Suggestions & comments [293 topics; 6,405 posts]
Polling [22 topics; 1,483 posts]
Member awards

These are just some ideas and thoughts I have. I would really like to know what you guys think of them, and also what you just think generally.

1) Forum In General

Looking at all the sub forums we have on here, we really do cater for a wide variety of discussions. However, some forums definitely fall into four categories

= keep definitely
= serves a purpose
= could be merged into another
= serves little or no pupose

As neat and tidy and easy to navigate as AU is, if we're all hoping for a fresh start, then this might be the time to look at all the forums based on user traffic, and "can we make these two forums into one", thus saving space and just making it a bit easier. As you can see I have spent waaaay too long compiling a list of all the forums and how well they have been used, not that that always tells the true story.

1) Announcements/Member Awards

The Announcements board would, I presume have to stay as that does serve a purpose (although I think super out-dated announcements should go as they make the place look neglected... lol). The Member Awards has been bugging me for some time. Maybe because of a stupid little thing like its placement, or just because it's another reminder of days gone by.

2) LOTR Boards

I think we would all agree if I said that the LOTR book and movie boards should stay. However, in looking at the Misc. LOTR Movies board, I noticed a lot of threads that would either really fit into a Hobbit board, OR Misc. Movie Discussion. I personally don't see the need for another Misc. LOTR board when one serve just as well, especially as the content would go elsewhere.

3) New forum - The Hobbit

I think the time has come for AU to finally embrace the fact there is more Middle-earth on the way. News is starting to speed up, pictures have even crept in, and I just think a new board would be awesome, both for the book and the films.

4) LOTR Soundtracks and Gaming

As these two forums are probably more of a limited appeal than the other LOTR boards, and also have less traffic, would it not be easier if they could be combined together in some way? I think moving LOTR music discussion to the music forum, would just mean all Middle-earthy discussions get lost in the traffic. Although no doubt, both forums will benefit from the Hobbit, I don't see a need for two separate boards unless..... (see below)

4) Gaming forum

I'm not a gamer myself, but I have been wondering for a while, we have reading, films, places to express ones writing and art and RPG's, but nowhere for people to talk games! There must be lots to discuss, cheats, levels which to buy. And if we agreed to remove the LOTR gaming forum... surely any topics would fit in nicely here?

5) Signatures & Avatars

I know this has been the cause of some debate in the past, but if we are ever to remove this from AU, it's going to be now. If people really feel the need to check their new sigs, surely a thread will suffice?

I think they were the only things I noticed looking around the forum. Personally, I don't see the need for so many actors forums, but people seem to use them, and merging them would probably be quite messy. Although a lot of the website forums (favourite non-LOTR etc), don't seem to get much traffic either, they are useful to have around.

The only other thing that I can see that will need doing regarding the forum... and I almost can't believe I am saying this.. will be tidying up some of the forums. The Club forum in particular is so darn busy and I would say a good few clubs will probably be populated by members no longer around, and about subjects we've got over. If say, it was tidied and someone came along and wanted to know where the club with 2 members, 16 posts that they started 5 years ago was... well I guess a fresh start wouldn't hurt. And probably *whimpers* even the same for the contests. Because I do look back at old threads and apart from sentimental reasons, there are so many we don't need. Especially unfinished ones.

So, yeah. I thought I would throw a few things out there for people to discuss. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 7:56 pm 

Elegost Eruaphadion wrote:
I think, as i have said in the other thread, that the news team should have their own invisible sub-forum like the Mods, if we appoint one.

More importantly I think though is that we need to reflect the change in membership levels... a lot of us are adults now, and of those who aren't many are mature.

I think we need a sub forum for adult discussion, like politics and other adult things that is restricted by D.O.B and by member trust; I know some younger members who aren't quite legally adult that would merit membership.

I'm not sure why a news team should have an invisible sub-forum? I don't see the use of making it invisible, as everyone may just read what they are discussing, and if they don't want to than they'll just don't read it..?

As for the adult discussion section, I agree with Haldir and Taur. Even being an adult doesn't warrant a debate not turning into a quarrel. AU is a very diverse community, obviously with many members having different views on religion, politics and life, and I think that it would not be for the benefit of this forum to have such a section on here. Like Haldir suggested, visiting an external forum seems the best solution to me. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 8:46 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hmm... I can see the reasoning for not having and also having an invisible forum.

I suppose firstly once a team of people dedicated to uploading/finding stuff has been sorted, it should be so they can post only there. Keeps everything nice the tidy and if everyone can post "hey, I found a picture!" then there's no point in having select people actively searching for stuff.

But also.... it would be nice to surprise people wouldn't it? :blink: I mean, won't it be nice to check out the site and see new stuff that you didn't know anything about? I know if it was an open forum there is always the choice NOT to look.... but who could resist a sneak peak at a crack team of coders and seekers at work. ;)

The only reason a sub forum is a good idea for the news and content team anyway, is it will be so much easier, I believe to show the other members what has been found, discuss what should be uploaded and when, and just generally make decisions on here rather via other internet methods.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 9:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

JF, you've got a lot of great ideas! As for the members awards, unless more awards are going to be handed out in the future, I honestly don't see the point for that section to have its own place. If anything, it should be moved into the Your Life or Misc. Randomness section.

I completely agree that the Hobbit should have its own section! It's a great way to show that this site is still current, and it will make room for awesome future discussions. :yes:

Since the Hobbit will mean new soundtracks (OH MY GOSH. Totally just realized that. :-P), I think the LotR soundtrack section should remain open, but I agree that it should somehow be merged with LotR gaming or another section. I'm not at all a gamer myself, but I do think it would be nice to have a place available for gamers to discuss LotR or other games.

I say the Signatures and Avvies thread has to go. I don't know how others feel about it, but I've used it a total or 3 times or something, and only when I first joined. It's easy enough to just check your own profile. :)

And as for clubs and contests, I second what you just said. I know there are some contests and clubs that I started that are completely un-used and could definitely be deleted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 10:40 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Thank you! :D

Yes, I agree about the MA's. Maybe collectively putting all the years together in one thread and stickying them so they don't get lost, will be the best thing to do. Maybe even putting them in the announcements section. Some people may like to look at them sometime. And if the MA's ever go on again, well they probably don't need their own forum for voting anyway.

Yes, I hope the Hobbit gets one first. I wanted to update the only true discussions we have about it, to find it has been moved to a section where it will be forgotten. :-(

Yes, you're right about there being more soundtrack discussions when the Hobbit comes out. So maybe we could see how that goes first.

I suppose a general cleaning up of the forum can take place as a last little job, but as long as people are warned prior to it happening, that can only be a good thing.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 2:56 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

In regard to the politically and religiously debate forum, I understand both sides of the argument. Having been a co-orgniser, co-operator, co-owner, or whatever of a forum that supposedly encouraged freedom of debate of political and religious ideals, I cannot tell you how horrific and sometimes mind-numbing stupid comments and posts got in the discussions. However, this has been a hotly-debated issue, an issue that I took the trouble of waging a movement.

Thus a compromise. A couple stages at least.

As I understand it, it is within the rules to state religious ideals in your signature but not political ideals. That will have to change to allow political ideals.

Merely identifying yourself should be allowed as well. If I'm not mistaken, and in this case I believe I am not, my movement was created after an incident where we simply had to identify our political ideals. No one is to take offense simply because of the identity of a member and nor should they.

But since we are talking about a sub-forum, it is of my firm opinion that any debates regarding politics or religion should be taken to Eru's forum, sadly neglected now.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 5:51 am 

We all know that politics is everwhere and a strong religious faith can be such a strong part of a person's being that it is hard to seperate. So we are all political and we're all religious even on here. And we do co-exist quite peacefully together.
However, considering the diversity and the sometimes frail balance we keep here I don't see a need for a seperate debating forum. I can go elsewhere for debates.. which I do and it works fine. Personally I've had PM-discussions on religion with many people here and there is always facebook and IM if people want to debate.
I didn't think I would ever say this but yeah, I know I can debate my opinions elsewhere.

A question though: Do we need to go over the rules of the forum again? Like should it be allowed to state your political belief in your signature as well as religious?

Good job, JF, so beautifully structured you are! :P
I do agree with most of your ideas but instead of talking about what particular threads and sub-forums we want, perhaps it could help us to ask what we the want the various sub-forums to do. Like how do we welcome (new) people, what do we emphasise, how do we present the sub-forum categories?
I have never had to think about building a forum but I imagine that you'd want to put related topics together.

So the first sub-forum should welcome people... include announcements and member-related stuff. We might of might not include MA there.
What kind of new interest and new members would The Hobbit attract? People who would be interested in gaming, soundstracks, ME-languages? And would we - the old members - feel like posting there when the Hobbit buzz grows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 8:50 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

While I personally would love to be able to debate politics and religion freely on this forum, I realize that it will probably never happen. But I do think that you should be able to state what you believe in (whether it be matters of faith or political ideologies), not only in signatures but in posts as well, if it's relevant to the topic in question - but that we're not allowed to question/debate/attack/insult each other's beliefs. You can state your own, but you have to leave it at that.

Sharing but not debating.

Say someone comes along in a thread and goes "I believe in corporal punishment". I would personally love to counter such a statement and start a debate about it, but instead I just state what I believe in and PM the member if I wish to discuss it further. It would be much easier to know who to PM-debate with if we all knew where we stood on issues.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2011, 9:03 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

As far as I'm concerned, the rules pretty much indicate that anything is fine to mention as long as it isn't something said to counter someone else's standpoint on said religious/political issue. I don't see any argument coming out of just stating one's political and religious views as long as the parties interesting in discussing it further are responsible enough to immediately take it to PMing if they wish to expand on the matter. Yeah. I really don't personally see any harm coming out of something as simple as mentioning one's views... lightly... as I realize that someone's simple view or opinion could very well turn into some sort of heated and controversial essay.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next