Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 7:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

:yes:

As I have said, I like the way Arwen has the graphics at the moment. There is a list of categories and below a selection of banners. The same thing could happen again but this time with Arwen's graphics and other peoples.

BTW, I have posted a thread now, so any graphic makers interested can sign up there.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 11:15 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

So it looks like you guys have the graphics section covered, but what about all the other sections? Such as script, actor pages, quizess, elvish(though I think this is just fine as is), links/affiliates, ect.? I may not be able to help sort out the graphics(though it looks like that is completely under control), but I would be more than willing to help update and clean up these other sections. In fact, in a way, I really want to clean up the other sections, as I have said before, awhile back on another one of these threads, because of the OCD side of me that really wants to see it done.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 11:21 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

It would be awesome if we could get the scripts finally up. I rely on Council of Elrond, but I don't like that website or how annoying it is.

We have some very talented writers on here, so it would be great to have updated actor/crew biographies.

The quizzes/fun section is another part that really needs looking at. A part of it will be checking to see if they work first of all, deciding if any categories can go, and then removing and expanding what we do or don't want.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 11:24 pm 

I definitely want to write up the scripts (unless someone is burning with desire and already has them done :teehee:) and clean up the broken links. I feel like a lot of this stuff really just kind of needs to be taken one section at a time, and until we have control over the code we can't really do much to them. Most of the things besides the fan arts section are pretty decent and just need sorted.

It would be good to update the cast bios with current projects and things (as well as fix broken links).

And I'm DYING to clean up the quizzes section, because my mind cannot handle the clutter going on there. JF and I also discussed the screencaps being all out of order.

I say "I" but obviously it can be any of us.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 11:30 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

What we could do is put together the team that will update the main site, and each member of said team tackles a different sectioin. How does that sound? Since we're all agreeing on what needs to be changed/added/fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2011, 11:42 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

You're a braver man than I am [s]Gunga[/s] Nurr. If we were both men that is. :P

The contest section as well, we need to think about. Should we have visitor contests, or maybe leave that for a later date?

^ I think you will probably need more than one person for certain sections, like the biographies and probably also sorting out the humour and fan art. Ulimately here will have to be more than one stalker of pictures/humour etc to keep the site up to date and full of stuff.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 9:25 am 

So in order to move on shouldn't we just start gathering new content and update the things we can do.

One way of doing it is starting a thread for each section we want to work on - basically just a thread for each topic on the main site. Or we might narrow it down to... maybe 3-4 topics in the beginning - depending on peoples interests and time.
For example a thread on updating the bios, so people could come in and volunteer to update say Legolas, Aragorn and Liv Tyler and when they finish they post the bios in the thread and then others are free to comment or suggest additions to the text (sort of like on wikipedia).

Another thing - that we might be doing at the same time - is gathering new content. Having a thread where people can contribute quizzes, humour etc. - especially on the Hobbit so we're ready to put it up when we get access to the coding. I don't know how many threads would be needed for it to stay sort of organised.. but it would be great if the person starting the thread would keep an eye on the contribution and update the first post or something.

An idea is to let the fanfiction sub-board host the writing part (scripts, bios etc) and have the graphics stuff take place on the fan art board (inspired by JF's post there on the graphics), and if we ever get to the language part then put it in the Language sub-forum, the music in the LotR-music board etc. That way we spread out things a bit in the relevant parts of the forum and we won't clutter the Suggestions board too much...

By the way, I feel like I should state my availability here. I'm afraid I won't have time to help out with this at the moment - I can only contribute ideas.
Perhaps Tim will update the first post with people's estimated availability just to give an idea... :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 12:15 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yes, a page about the music of LOTR would be good....and probably other aspects of making the film. *coughWetacough*

Is this the time we decide who will officially be in these groups? As Ea said, we probably need to get some more writers interested in this first especially, as there are more around AU than have posted here.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 1:15 pm 

^Aww, I love how you went all native with all LotR-banner+avi!!! :D

Is it going to be so formal? :teehee: I just imagined that someone started a thread and then people who felt like doing something of that sort posted to say 'hey, I'm gonna write up Aragorn's bio if y'all don't mind'. :)

I don't know how many people want to/have the time to actually help out so I figured that we should start out small and have people just doing what they know they can finish - at least in the beginning...? So far I've seen only a couple of people posting that they have time to do these things...

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 2:27 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I know for a fact that I would have the time. And whether or not you'd need more than one person per section completely depends on the person(s).

And I like the idea of the thread. I see it as a way for members to be more involved in the site. A member can write a biography, and the person with the coding access would only have to add it and not have to write it out themselves. Of course like mentioned before, the first post we would want to use to keep track of whats been done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 2:37 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well... I think to keep things nice and tidy it would be good if we could start to sort out who will be in charge of graphics/fan art, humour/images, coding/updating, writing etc.

I reckon there should be a thread asking people if they are interested in writing biographies BUT also, as everyone has a different writing style too many people doing bios... it will just not read very well if you know what I mean. Arwen's bios follow a pattern and I think some kind of uniformity might be good.

Another thing with starting to write stuff and probably doing other things, as of yet there is nothing people can do with things once they have been written, made etc. So perhaps, just for a couple more days, organizing the groups and starting to look properly at what we really need to do - for example, has anyone with authority on LOTR read the character bios? Do they need updating? Or are they completely fine?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 4:37 pm 

True, the character bios probably don't need updating.. I think I tried to use it as an example of how we could start working on the sections.. figure out if we even had anyone who could work on it now etc. We might need to write up new ones for The Hobbit at some point.

Like JF said, there is an easy pattern to follow for both cast and crew bios and it wouldn't be too difficult to fill it out for The Hobbit cast/crew. Updating the existing cast and crew bios should be fairly easy too, just updating stuff like maritial status, kids and fun facts.
I mean the smaller things that are not too difficult or controversial could easily be started up if someone's up for it. :)

Here's an example of what Cate Blanchett's looks like: (seriously, she has a sibling called Genevieve - what a cool name!!! So Cate, Bob and Genevieve.... :P)

Quote:
Full Name: Catherine Elise Blanchett

Nicknames: Cate

Birthdate: May 14th, 1969

Birthplace: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Height: 5’8 ½"

Weight: Unknown

Parents: Her mother's name is June. Her father died when she was 10 from a heart attack, but his name is unknown.

Siblings: Bob and Genevieve

Pets: None

Hair color: Blonde

Eye color: Blue

Marital status: Married to Andrew Upton. They have two sons, Dashiell John (born December 3rd, 2001) and Roman Robert (born April 23rd, 2004).

Fun Facts:
Was the first person to win the Critics Circle Theatre award for Best Newcomer and Lead Actress in the same year.
Attended Methodist Ladies College (MLC) in Melbourne, Australia and then became the School Drama Captain.
Jokes that part of the reason she took the role of Galadriel was for the pointy ears--she's always wanted pointy ears.
After Lord of the Rings, she kept and bronzed her elf ears.
Was considered for the role of Clarice Starling in "Hannibal", but it went to Julianne Moore later on.
Was chosen as one of People magazine “50 most beautiful” in the year of 1999.
Enjoys making lists and crossing items off as she accomplishes them.
Four of her movies have the title of the name of the person she plays: "Veronica Guerin", "Charlotte Gray", "Elizabeth", and "Thank God He Met Lizzie".
Received an Acadamy Award nomination in 1999 for Best Actress in "Elizabeth." She has also received numerous awards, and honors for her talents internationally. Thanks to OrliGirl for this fact
Studied Economics at the University of Melbourne. Her first experience on a film set was in Egypt, in a Arabic boxing film, because she was broke and needed money. Thanks to OrliGirl for this fact
Is slated to star in the movie "Babel" with Brad Pitt, due out at the end of 2005 Thanks to Aeliniel for this fact

Sites to see:
Addicted to Cate Blanchett

CateBlanchett.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 7:11 pm 

Okay. I like lists, so I'm going to go a little list-happy on you all.

The current sections of the site:
Books
--Character Bios: look pretty good, there's not much you can change anyway
--JRR Tolkien: a couple of the subsections (namely the gallery) are a bit cluttered and could be straightened up.

Film
--Cast bios: I agree that the writing should stay rather consistent. I also think we should put up some current projects or the like, a very mini-type imdb.
--Crew bios: there are only 4 so far. We should expand?
--Script: as I said, I'd totally volunteer to get those done. I've been wanting those for a while anyway. :D

Media
whoo boy. There's a lot here.
--avatars: are we going to do this similar to the banners? save any of Arwebs, or toss them all?
--banners: have been discussed at length
--brushes: seem fine to stay to me
--buddy icons: do people even know of AOL now? :P
--buttons: ?
--fonts: just make sure the links still work
--signature banners: a small section. shall we just combine as a 500x100 (or whatever) page under banners?
--sound and music: again, make sure links still work
--video: could be cleaned, tidied, and added to
--wallpapers: haven't discussed this yet either
--xanga backgrounds: highly doubt they'll be in high demand either :P

Links
--basically we just have to make sure they still link somewhere. Just time consuming.

Site
--fixing broken links and updating now that we have new admin stuff going on. probably where the "credit" stuff should go.

Fan section
--empty it all! Mwahahaha! :vampire: But seriously. Just reorganizing for new contributions, I guess.

LotR Humor
--scour, fix links, etc

Photo gallery
--screen captures: get them back in order!
--we also need to link to the "high res" gallery advertised on the main page somewhere.

Quizzes
--oh dear Lord, my eyes cannot hardly handle the linking and the uneven images and the red and GAAHHH. In other words, FIX.

Awards
--apparently, Vanyara awards is part of AU. Last updated in 04. We thinking at all of continuing/restarting that? personally, no

Misc
--not too bad. e-card images are disabled, I don't know what else will need looked at.

Soo, given those, what are we needing?
Someone to head getting new media up.
Someone to head the written stuff (Tolkien, bios, updating "site", etc)
Someone to head new news (/humor/video)
People to just go through checking links, deleting the broken ones.

We'll also need to figure out how we're sliding the Hobbit in. Stick all the cast bios together? Characters all together? New image galleries? Or do we want to think about perhaps really promoting some Hobbit information on its own for a while?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 7:31 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Well you've been busy, Nurr! While I've been... videogaming... lol.

ANYWAY

Considering how the cast biographies are in a kind of layout, it doesn't look like there should be too much problem with differentiating writing styles as long as the template is followed. But it doesn't seem that much needs to be changed(except maybe updated photos as well as previously mentioned things like little facts).

Although, are we really going to have enough people to have someone head these things that you suggest, Nurr? I mean, how many people as of now have offered to help with the main site? I would be willing to help wherever I'm needed. I will say the one I would be best at is probably fixing/deleting/checking though all the links.

I think for now we should have the Hobbit information on it's own a bit so it's not as muddled in with the Lord of the Rings since we're hoping that its the Hobbit that'll bring us more activity. But that's my thoughts on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 7:36 pm 

For all I know, it could all be headed under one person. Those are just the main categories I see to address. As I say, I like to be tidy and organized. The more categories I can make, the happier I am. :P And it helps me sort out in my mind what exactly needs looked at.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 7:38 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I can understand that. And thanks for making the list! I think it's another step closer... lol!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next