Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 9:20 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Ooh, I love making lists as well. Lists make me :boing:

I think pretty much all Arwen's graphics should stay (the good ones of which there are many, avatars, wallpapers etc). However:

Buttons/Blinkies: kinda like the animated humour ones but the others are pretty plain and boring. Probably, if we were honest, all of them are outdated and usefull? Not too sure who would use them really.

Small banners: a little bit old I'd say. I don't think we need any of them or even the section. The 700x150 banners should really be the only ones promoted on the site.

The Misc section has been bugging me for years. Why not a have a "fun" category, that then links to the quizzes, crosswords, puzzles etc? Putting games like "ping pong" in misc with site and graphic tutorials seems odd. There are things that need fixing there and straightening out.

I believe somewhere on the site layout (header perhaps?) there should be something like "Your No1 Source for The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings" (not quite those words as they are meh, but you know what I mean).

I think all the current categories would fit any Hobbit media, information etc. Another page for the Hobbit would then have to include all the kind of links that the layout has anyway - and if one page can do all that, why all the links for LOTR?

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 4:04 am 

Such a pretty, shiny list! Good job. :-)

So far we're:
JF: who wants to fix things.. but also is all over the graphics/coding place
Nurr: specifically volunteered to do the scripts and other stuff all over the place
Raina: Obsessive on organising and fixing what's broken
Eä: Can organise and fix stuff but knows nothing of coding

We should do some shameless advertising to get more in, but if no one else is going to help out we'll just have to do it ourselves bit by bit.. We might advertise in our sigs and post around the forum asking for extra hands though, perhaps listing specifically what we need help with, that way it might be easier to see what you sign up for...

I like the idea of promoting exclusive The Hobbit stuff somewhere - at least while The Hobbit buzz goes around. That way we'll score higher in search engines and that may get more traffic to the site.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 5:37 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I can lend a hand in advertising around the web... as well as designing/coding.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2011, 9:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I just thought I'd pop in on this thread and say I'm so glad you guys are thinking of scrapping the fan section! I always hated that place and could never come up with a proper way of organizing it. Plus, it had the problem of No Standards - kind of hard to say "no, your fan art isn't good enough to be posted!" to people. Hence a lot of rubbish.

Also, please don't think that I'll be offended if you take down some of my graphics. As JF more-kindly-than-I-deserve said, "the other 2% you can tell she was just beginning" - I think it's far higher than 2% :teehee: Some of them, such as the AIM buddy icons, are simply outdated. Some of them are just bad. And since the site really shouldn't be about me, you should definitely add other people's work to some of the graphics sections. People want pretty wallpapers and such - they don't care who made them.

Just as a side note, apart from using WordPress for the updates on the main page, A-U doesn't run on any type of content management system. Unless someone wants to undertake the mission of integrating one into the current setup, anyone working on adding/updating new content should probably have a basic knowledge of coding. Not too hard to learn, but very helpful.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 1:06 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Thanks for your input Arwen, it's really nice to hear your thoughts. :-)

Haha, you needed to be tougher back then I think regarding fan art. :stab: I think it would be nice to have some fan art back on the main site, but it would have to be based on quality only. I feel any members on AU who would like to contribute things would probably know what was good enough of their pieces, although it might be harder for visitors. :P I guess we would have to have a disclaimer about "do not be upset if you're artwork is not accepted" or something like that. :teehee:

Psh. There is a LOT of Arwen artwork that ain't going anywhere I can tell you. :yes:

So currently the way I see to get the new content and revamped content off the ground we need:

Coders
Graphic donators
Biography writers
Image finders
Script writers named Nurr
News finders (and writers to add their own spin to it)
Bad link seekers
Fan art donators and finders (I'm guessing perhaps we could showcase some great fanart from dA as well maybe)
Humour finders
And colloboration between the coders and those who may have spent X amount of time gathering and writing things and might want some input into how it will be displayed. And also the content people will need to work with the coders as well regarding what pages may need removing etc. Although chances are both groups will have the same people in practically anyway. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 10:23 am 

^Ooh, like the DA idea. There are brilliant ones out there. Of course, we'd want to ask permission, and hopefully us asking them if we can display their work on this site would make them want to visit. And where my train of thought is going is that we should probably wait on putting those up until we have most of the other stuff revamped so the DA people would roam and stay.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 12:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Definitely. So I think we should make a note that one of the last things we do, is roam dA looking for good LOTR art. Or at least, contact dA artists when the site is looking goooood. I think we would have to come up with a neater way to display all the art (hopefully all the link images the same size and shape *prays*) and then maybe underneath (although at the moment I am not a fan of this as it looks untidy) we could credit each artist with a link to their dA page.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2011, 1:18 am 

I'd love to be involved in any writing aspects that may be needed whether it's bios or news or anything else in between. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 12:26 pm 

Excellent! Good to have a great writer here to help. :D

Okay people, let's get this going. And let's be definite.

The site is large. There are two main aspects to it, graphics and not graphics. I'd suggest that we have two people running two groups that work together. That way we break up the amount some and make it easier for the leaders. Of course, team members could be a part of both things, since it would basically be a team for "The Site".

All our ideas are really good, but I think we need to get these teams so that we can actually start doing things.

I'd just like to throw my name out there for running the non-graphic part. Feel free to say yay or nay. It won't hurt my feelings. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 12:36 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yes, two groups both working on the site will be good, but as you say, they can overlap and probably will have people working in both and they are technically on the same team afterall.

I would very much like to get to grips on both the non-graphics and the graphics.

Question: For example, I want to gut the fan art section. If I am not a coding member, do I just tell a coder "remove them from the code" please? Will the coders be happy to add, remove change things at the will of any content team members who won't have access to coding?

At this time, I don't know if my coding skills will be needed, so I would like to know how the content updating will work. When it comes to adding stuff etc, I would of course make it easier for the coders by inserting any img codes into whatever coding is needed, so then they would just have to put it up.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm 

Well, I wouldn't think we'd just say "do whatever other people want" but I doubt that's a problem anyway. ;) The team would work together to decide what needed to be changed. So, as a member of the team, you'd say "destroy the fan art area" as a suggestion. The team would then figure out what needs done (keep certain pages? links? new content?) and the coders would put it up.

But yes, the coders will need to do things for the team as a whole, including those who can't code.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 12:45 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ No, I know that, it was just an example. ;)

Hmm, OK. Well as long as the coders would know that there probably will be a lot of page "page 46, 67th code down... ain't working", then that's OK.

Communication is going to be the key thing here, so we'll also have to decide (eventually anyway), how all the teams are planning to communicate with their members.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 1:09 pm 

I was just thinking about that. :yes: Remember the chats we had for the Hallowfest? We used http://www.chatzy.com/ and you can create both chats and rooms. It's free, doesn't require specific software, and you need the link or password to get in so we wouldn't have random people from anywhere. It could be an option.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 1:41 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I won't volunteer to be a leader. But I'd be willing to step up if no one else will.

But, I will volunteer to be a member of either team, though more for the non-graphics part than the graphics part, but in a way I would like to help in both.

And about the Deviantart idea. I like that idea. And I could help with that. I get on my dA every chance I get, and I'm a member of various LotR groups, in which case I get tons of LotR fanart sent to my inbox all the time. And if you guys still want to go with that idea, I'd be willing to be the one to contant deviants about featuring their work on the site, and go through and search for awesome works. But what I'd do with that is cycle the deviations every month. Like feature say... 20 deviations a week, or 50 deviations a month or something. And I am volunteering to be the one to do this.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 2:16 pm 

That would be great, Rain! :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 2:34 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

That would be really good if you could do that Eruraina. :-)

The chat board would probably work, but all I'm thinking about is there might be lots of detailed stuff that needs fixing, discussing and it might get lost in a chat room. Specific threads for each group might be best... but then they won't be very private and everyone could read all that's going on. But it would probably be the easiest way for everyone in the group to keep up to date with new stuff and no worries about times zones and people being on at the same time. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next