Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 8:09 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Awesome, Haldir! :)

So, like I mentioned, I've been having trouble opening pages. And it seems a few of the revival threads (himlond's newest, the layout & coding thread, among others) are down for me. So if there's anything I need to know, it'll have to be pm'ed or e-mailed to me... And then hopefully the loading problem will get sorted soon.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 8:25 pm 

Anameleth wrote:
and okay (this is where I feel like an idiot, but this has to be said :duh:), I'm not really sure exactly what the Overseer is supposed to do (because the teamleaders seem to be covering stuff pretty well).

A few of the things we've mentioned were you (plural): make sure that things are still running. If it looks like the enthusiasm is dying down now that we're hard at work, you give people a little nudge. You also help coordinate between the teams, so that everything stays in line with the goal as a whole. Some of us can get a little focused on our one section, and then things may go crazy when we try to put it together. From what I gathered, you'd be the main ones communicating with Arweb if there are problems and such. Basically, you're the glue holding together the revival. No pressure. ;)

One thing, especially, is that we don't lose sight of some of the other things that need to happen. We can work on the main site, but everything else shouldn't come to a stop. The admin/mod discussion still needs to continue, and we still have to figure out funding. (I know Rain put up a poll, but not much else has happened with that recently).

So yeah. Other input by people?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 8:28 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Thanks Nurr :)

Oh, and the new thread you started - can't see it x.x Just thought you should know...

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 10:52 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
From what I've gathered from all the discussion:

Raina is the leader of the coder group
JF is heading the graphics group
I'm heading the [non-graphics] site stuff

Say wait, what? :blink: Okay, I will admit that, that kinda took me by surprise there. I had volunteered to be a coder, that's for sure. But I know that a few others had wanted, or offered, to be coders as well. I was thinking one of them would take the leader slot. But, I guess I could do that if no one else wants to and everyone's okay with that.
Was is because I was the first to volunteer right out to be one of said coders? Or because I suggested the idea?

Also, one thing I would like to point out that seems to be not made as clear with making the groups and such is that ALL changes and additions have to be done through the coders. Meaning ALL changes that are going to be made, all aditions to pages(script, bios, videos, etc) have to be sent to the coders because they will be the only ones with the power to change anything on the site.

And about the tag board with the question mark. Right now, I think it's actually not working. Every time I get on the main site, it won't load or anything. And if you go to the facebook revival thread, it seems like it's mostly taggers who I think would be willing to come back if the tag was back up and working!

Himlond wrote:
I think one of the best jobs for me would be support. I'm not huge on coding at all, and my image manip isn't nearly as good as most of yours, but it's still something if needed. I would love to be involved in this site, however, so I could help with general stuff, collection of links and affiliates, or I could help with communication between fan sites, and I would also be willing to be *gulp* the "email address." I can take emails from people and pass them on to the leaders of whatever part of the site it deals with. Basically I could deal with communications. I could also do so between other fansites, like TheOneRing.net (basically one of the only active, original fansites out there). So, yea, I could deal with communications and "customer support" for lack of better word.

^Honestly, I admit, that I think that this is an important job. Maybe once we get the list of coders, each coder could take a section of the site that they specifically keep up with. And if Himlond is willing, all the other teams' changes can be sent to Himlond who will send each thing to the respective coder to change. So the coders get a couple of nice juicey emails instead of like... a bunch of emails from all the teams/teammembers. And any complaints of things on the main site not working as well...

Or maybe instead each team puts together their work at the end of every day, every couple of days, every week, or maybe better yet every project, and send them in as one instead of what I said before.

I know this is going into communication, and should probably very much go to another thread, but communication will be key for all of our teams and jobs to work properly.

And I think that maybe also all coders should fork up and email or something that they check regularly so if they disapear they can be contacted and pestered back to work, or in case something isn't work or needs changed quickly. And yes I am saying this knowing I am a coder, lol!

One last thing(since I feel like I'm going on and on with this), I'm about to go through all the other pages and see exactly who all has offered to code. I'll probably pm each person to see if they really want the responsiblitiy, exactly how much they know, and how much time they'd have and see how many there actually would be through volunteering, and possibly choose the top 3-5 (and what I mean top is by top is probably the people with the most knowledge and most time who are willing, of course.) Because I think we need to know exactly who our coders are because like said before... the kind of access they'll have to the site.

>.> I think that's all I wanted to say...

Edit: (Oh yes, I'm making my post longer... I swear this is one of my longest posts in history...)
Having gone back I've found that there were actually about 11 people(including myself) who originally said they would be willing to help with coding if needed. They are:
tim4x
Lothy
Nurr
Eruraina
Haldir
Ammy Dawne
Pandora
JF
Altariel Frodo
Larael
Elberthsq

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 11:37 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^That is a good, long rant ;)
But, you know, if you're willing to take responsibility that's great :)
And the coders will definitely be very important. I was thinking that with the writing, everything should go from whoever writes it through spell-checkers (which is mainly me from what I can gather, but that's fine) to the coders.

I think, to not make everything too complicated, graphics etc should go from JF to Raina, or to whoever the coders decide is in charge of the respective sections.
What I mean is, if it isn't necessary for something to go through Himlond (or whoever gets this responsibility), it shouldn't have to. This goes for everything else as well, of course - the fewer channels things have to go through, the better. But having said that, I do agree that keeping the amount of e-mails to a minimum is probably a good idea.

Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, it'd be great to get a list of exactly who you've got doing what, so that Haldir and I can Oversee everything properly ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 11:51 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Anameleth wrote:
What I mean is, if it isn't necessary for something to go through Himlond (or whoever gets this responsibility), it shouldn't have to. This goes for everything else as well, of course - the fewer channels things have to go through, the better.

I would have to agree with that. If there's going to be huge long chain of command going on, it might just make things a lot more complex than they really need to be and it'll take more than double the amount of time than it would have taken to get everything done, since everything's being passed on and cleared by several people. I think writing > spell-checking is the only instance when that's really necessary.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 11:57 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Eruraina wrote:
Edit: (Oh yes, I'm making my post longer... I swear this is one of my longest posts in history...)
Having gone back I've found that there were actually about 11 people(including myself) who originally said they would be willing to help with coding if needed. They are:
tim4x
Lothy
Nurr
Eruraina
Haldir
Ammy Dawne
Pandora
JF
Altariel Frodo
Larael
Elberthsq

Thanks Raina :happy:

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 7:55 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

This just came to my mind - something I am dying to do is to help clear out of all the spam accounts on the forum. It irks me to NO end.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 10:43 am 

Sorry Raina, I guess I misread some things. If you don't want to be the leader, that's totally fine. I'm sure someone else could. If you do, though, that's also great.

Quote:
Also, one thing I would like to point out that seems to be not made as clear with making the groups and such is that ALL changes and additions have to be done through the coders. Meaning ALL changes that are going to be made, all aditions to pages(script, bios, videos, etc) have to be sent to the coders because they will be the only ones with the power to change anything on the site.

This is where it's helpful when coders are a part of the other groups. That way, they know what's going on and it's easier to get the changes to them. :yes:

Quote:
Because I think we need to know exactly who our coders are because like said before... the kind of access they'll have to the site.

Is every coder going to have access to the site? I mean, it kind of makes sense but that'd be a pretty fair amount of people. Personally (you don't have to agree) I think it should be a few coders who have access, while the other prepare pages and things. Those few who do have access can just take the page and put it in its proper spot.

I agree with Haldir and Ana about the chain of command thing. As, firstly, I think Himlond was offering to help with communication between us and other sites, not within the groups. ;) But it would make sense for things to be a streamlined as possible.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 1:53 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

@Haldir: YES PLEASE DO! And I think any that are quite obviously not used anymore should go to, because you're a prime example of a case where a username is being held up by someone who is never here, and which someone else wants to use.

@Nurr: If Himlond doesn't want to be the communication channel between groups, maybe Haldir or I or both can do that. That way we'll know what is being done, and it'll be easier to stay on top of things.
And I agree with you that only some of the coders should have access to the site. That'll simplify things too, because then everyone would know who to contact about these things.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:07 pm 

Short comment on communication: I agree with open communication channels. We shouldn't risk that someone who's really active one day get's buried in real life the next - and it can happen to anyone. setting up a general email where everyone can send stuff to would be great. Or using the Headquarters threads.

I volunteer to help out with anything organising/communication-ish. :)

Haldir wrote:
This just came to my mind - something I am dying to do is to help clear out of all the spam accounts on the forum. It irks me to NO end.

^THIS! It's been bothering me too... I'd be happy to help you out.. great mindless procrastination work... aaaand there might be new members signing up who never gets approved because their accounts are pushed down by spamaccounts as soon as they register...

But it's a mod job... how do we get around that? :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on February 16th, 2011, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:17 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Ana - pretty much. Name squatting drives me nuts and I can't stand when people do it. Also the fact probably at least 75% of our "members" are spam accounts is pretty disturbing.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "someone blow the magic whistle to bring Arweb back to the thread"

Guys, I've been trying to follow these threads to some degree, but if you remember, at the very beginning of this when Ammy first pitched the idea to me (does anyone know if she's still involved or wants to be...? :lost: ), I asked you to come up with a game plan and pitch it to me when it's all thought through, preferably contacting me over facebook. I know I've been a little more involved after it became clear that this actually wasn't going to be a complete takeover (which to be honest makes things a lot harder for me because I still have to approve who actually gets access to what), but I'd still really appreciate it if you could let me know when you're really, <b>really</b> ready to get started. The magic whistle is "everything's sorted --> facebook message saying so."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 2:32 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Sounds good, Arweb :)
Ammy is on Raina's coder list, but I can ask her if she's still interested in helping with this, just so we're sure.

About the spam accounts, though: If Haldir and whoever helps her makes a list of the accounts that are definitely spam, could they send it to you or the mods who then deletes them? Or is there a way we can do this without having to bother you with it?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 3:03 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Clearing the spam accounts is a must, but at the moment, I think we should steer clear of forum work until either a) the main site is completed or b) it's getting underway and some people are free to thoroughly look at threads/spam and see what it needed. Whether those people will then contact a Mod or if we'll have new Mods by then, I don't know. We really have a lot to be doing getting the main site up and running again, without looking at the forum, because that will be harder work still.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2011, 4:17 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Good point, JF.

So Ammy says she's too busy with other things to be able to work on the revival. In case you wanted to know, Arwen.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next