Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: AU Revival: Main Site [Non-Image] Headquarters
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Ha, that's because I never sent it :duh: Basically I said yay you for answering, affiliate-hunting would be great :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2012, 3:30 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I've just found an old list of mine pertaining to things that need fixing with the galleries. The first thing was adding "back to gallery index" on all the pages, and that has been completed (so why it was on my list I have no idea :blink:). Another thing was a few broken images which I need to tackle and lastly the removal of dead links for the image credit. I'm still not sure if we intend of having a general "credit" page at some point, but I have removed all the links that no longer work so at least there are no broken links lurking.

It would be nice at some point to get new text links for the gallery, so they all match and maybe rather than having a "new" button, there could be another way to tell people when new stuff is there. Like the link is brighter colour or something. Not really important but just a little thing that could get done.

The Hobbit gallery is the next major thing we need to tackle. I have a lot of pictures stored on my computer and I have been also making the thumbnails. I believe that once a coder has made sure the page will work correctly, a non coder who wants to help, can be given access to the password and log in info, and can be the sole caretaker of making sure each photo gets uploaded to the correct category. This means that a coder won't have to worry about constantly updating the gallery (as it will get busy). The person may well need to have a graphics programme (to make the thumbnails, crop images etc) and apart from maybe asking a coder for a new category, I don't see why this shouldn't happen. There may be a tiny little bit of HTML needed, but if I can do it, anyone can. :P

EDIT: I know this is the wrong section to mention the gallery but at the moment the action is here. ;)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 3:35 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I believe that once a coder has made sure the page will work correctly, a non coder who wants to help, can be given access to the password and log in info, and can be the sole caretaker of making sure each photo gets uploaded to the correct category. This means that a coder won't have to worry about constantly updating the gallery (as it will get busy). The person may well need to have a graphics programme (to make the thumbnails, crop images etc) and apart from maybe asking a coder for a new category, I don't see why this shouldn't happen. There may be a tiny little bit of HTML needed, but if I can do it, anyone can.

This goes along the lines on what I was saying on the previous page. I would be more then willing to do this for the fan section(which seems to have the least amount of priority here, but honestly I think it's very important). As well as be the one to work with dreamingfifi with the elvish section. But just throwing this out there that maybe instead of just having 'coders' we have 'updaters' you could call them. Have the coders set up the page and the layout, while the updaters keep them up to date and such.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 3:42 pm 

Ana, did you ever get replies from the original coding group?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 4:07 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Nurr, Harthad and Haldir, but I'm not quite sure Haldir still wants to do coding. No one else so far. (well and JF but you know that already :P )

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 4:41 pm 

Alright.. that should be enough coders to do the updates that has been mentioned - if they are available.

Do we need to call a coding meeting... perhaps in a new thread where we collect all the tasks that are hanging and need to be dealt with? New coders might be joining the discussion here and someone may become Updaters like Raina suggested.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2012, 5:18 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I think that's a good idea, because right now some people probably don't really know where to post. I only have a few people on my new list of Who Can Do What, but I can post it so we know who to contact if we need people to do stuff.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 1:37 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Eruraina wrote:
Johnny's Fan wrote:
I believe that once a coder has made sure the page will work correctly, a non coder who wants to help, can be given access to the password and log in info, and can be the sole caretaker of making sure each photo gets uploaded to the correct category. This means that a coder won't have to worry about constantly updating the gallery (as it will get busy). The person may well need to have a graphics programme (to make the thumbnails, crop images etc) and apart from maybe asking a coder for a new category, I don't see why this shouldn't happen. There may be a tiny little bit of HTML needed, but if I can do it, anyone can.

This goes along the lines on what I was saying on the previous page. I would be more then willing to do this for the fan section(which seems to have the least amount of priority here, but honestly I think it's very important). As well as be the one to work with dreamingfifi with the elvish section. But just throwing this out there that maybe instead of just having 'coders' we have 'updaters' you could call them. Have the coders set up the page and the layout, while the updaters keep them up to date and such.

I am really sorry that I fell of the face of the earth regarding your plans for the fan art section, and I know there is much yet to do. But I just got so busy with life and only just getting back into the revival, you're right I haven't made it a priority. :-(

I think for you especially, if you could become an updater, you could do what you wanted with the fanart section, without waiting for me or someone else to keep adding whatever it is that you find. This is probably what we should work towards, and I can't see it being a problem for anyone. :-) It will be easy to do, as the pages are already set up, I may just need to give you a few pointers on how to use the system.

==================

I've re-done the book bio pages guys as best as I can. They look different to the film bios, but I think that's a good thing. I've tried to make them all match, but some of the info (Sauron, Gandalf, Witch-king) has caused the "history" section to be further down. If this OCD-person can deal with that, then I guess you can as well. The info is all Arwen's, so if there's anything wrong, blame her. :P :whistle: If we could get some bios done for the Hobbit characters, it would be great to have them both up on AU.

I know I mentioned this on another thread, but can I do something to tidy up the Tolkien page please? Get rid of the trees and just make it neater?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 7:44 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Good work, JF :) And yes, do tidy up the Tolkien page. I think the tree looks cool, but it doesn't make sense to only have it there, so I agree that we should get rid of it.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 3:18 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ok, well I'll get to work on that this weekend.

Also, I'd like some opinions regarding a proper credit page for AU.

I've always thought it looked a bit untidy having certain sections (gallery etc) quoting sources, when I think it would be much easier to say "please check credits page for sources" or something like that. Then on the credits page you could have everything, not just the stuff pertaining to where Arwen got her brushes from, but stuff for the galleries, the Elvish, sounds etc. And it will probably be good for others sites as well, if more people check the credits page and see everything all together, rather than their links being spread out around the site.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 3:30 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

That's a good idea! Unless anyone is very much opposed to it, I say go ahead :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 10th, 2012, 4:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Ok, well I'll get to work on that this weekend.

Also, I'd like some opinions regarding a proper credit page for AU.

I've always thought it looked a bit untidy having certain sections (gallery etc) quoting sources, when I think it would be much easier to say "please check credits page for sources" or something like that. Then on the credits page you could have everything, not just the stuff pertaining to where Arwen got her brushes from, but stuff for the galleries, the Elvish, sounds etc. And it will probably be good for others sites as well, if more people check the credits page and see everything all together, rather than their links being spread out around the site.

Oh yes please. While we do need to give credit (obviously) I think having links randomly dotted around the place looks messy.

Also, with the Tolkien bio, while I do like the tree, it does look a bit out of place. I might be imagining this but I *think* somebody might have said something earlier about condensing the Tolkien section. If people do want that to happen then I don't mind doing it. (I have the Humphrey Carpenter book that Arwen used.) Personally I think we should keep it all.
Oh, just looking it at, I think the fact sheet page should be the page that comes up when you click on J.R.R. Tolkien in the Books section. And then the further links to the biography and the rest.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2012, 3:58 pm 

Only wanted to say that I've been following the thread and I agree with the shanges proposed. I just didn't find the need to post saying "I agree" but if you were wondering if anyone read and cared about this.. the answer is yes! :teehee:

Anameleth wrote:
^I think that's a good idea, because right now some people probably don't really know where to post. I only have a few people on my new list of Who Can Do What, but I can post it so we know who to contact if we need people to do stuff.

Would you update the Overview thread with Who Can Do What and other necessary stuff?

PostPosted: February 11th, 2012, 5:08 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ No that's fine. :P I just like to hear some yays or nays so I can tell whether what I'm doing is OK with most people. I know it's not earth shattering stuff, but as we know, everyone has an opnion. ;)

@ Hravan - I don't think I mentioned about condensing the Tolkien section, and I think I was the only one who mentioned it previously. Looking at what there is, I'm not sure how we can condense the pages really, as they are pretty well set up as they are. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 16th, 2012, 1:35 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

If the 'updaters' thing could be pursued, that would be awesome. Get the fan section up and running.

And looking at the Fan Art I noticed something. We had changed the artist credit to be shown in the box that shows up when you place your mouse over the image. I'm not sure if that was already taken down and put into a credits page(which I think is a wonderful idea. One thing to do with it, would be to organize it by section to make it easier to figure out whats being credited), or not. But that feature isn't working on my computer, but had worked on the previous other two computer I had used. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the fact that my new computer is a Mac...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 7th, 2012, 4:10 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Updating the scripts section would be great as there are no scripts there. And maybe having a news submission/team that can keep updating news about the Hobbit and other LOTR related stuff so people can know what is happening on the main page.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next