Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: AU Revival: Main Site [Non-Image] Headquarters
PostPosted: September 6th, 2011, 7:15 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Hello all! Seems like you guys are doing all well!

I just want to ask, who's in charge of the video and poetry subsections of the Fan section of the main page? Is it possible we could start putting stuff up? I can browse DA for poetry or make a thread in the fanfiction section. And for the videos I can go collaborate with SilverRose(who kinda left AU but is on Youtube) about videos to put up on AU. If someone would be willing to put them up for me, that is, since I don't have the power.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 10:59 am 

So what we need is people with coding skills and access?
Also, with Larael's post on bios in mind.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 7:56 pm 

Raina, as far as I know no one was in charge of those things. If you'd be willing to put stuff together, I can put it up without too much hassle. Also, did you and JF ever figure out things about the Featured Art?

Re Lar's bio question, I think JF would be the best one to talk to since she was doing the cast bios. I'm not quite sure how they were working out.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 9th, 2011, 7:23 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Alrighty, I think I'll do that then! I don't think the poems and videos will require constant updating, just maybe a little here and there.

And about the Featured Art, here's what I posted in the image thread of the revival:

Eruraina wrote:
I've been working with JF and we're starting to get the Fan Art section under way, in fact it's already seen a face lift with sections partaining to different mediums and bunches of new artwork!

But what's this? A 'coming soon Feature' section? This could be a shout out to JF, but also a call for anyone else willing to help out(*coughcoderscough*) and get it up and going. What it is, is that I will feature 5 peices of art every two weeks in a biweekly feature. Most of the art will be from deviant art. The art is then added to the gallery when the next feature gets put up as well as somehow archiving the features.

JF was helping me get this done, but do to RL it seems to have come to a stand still. So, anyone want to help me out?

What I would love to be able to do is somehow be able to add the features to the site as well as new artwork to the site myself without the need of a coder because I know how precious their time is, and I don't want to have to be pestering them twice a week to get it done. Is there anyway to get it set up so I can do the things mentioned above without a coder? And possibly without having to work with too much coding?(Because I don't want to mess anything up because the coders are doing an awesome job of everything!)

Not much really has been decided on it and how it's going to be put together exactly.

But for the Fan Art section we redid it so the little text that shows up when you hover your mouse over the pictures has the artwork's title, the artist's name, and if applicable, the artist's website address. And for now the Fan Art section is fine, it's just the Featured Art that needs finished. But like I said, I would like a way to be able to update the featured art without having to go through a coder just to make it easier on everyone else.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 7:42 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hola peeps!

Again, I just want to apologise for apparently disappearing for weeks on end. I really don't know what happened. One day I was getting stuff ready for AU and then next *poof*, I wasn't. I can see that my lack of contributing has been partly to blame for the standstill we seem to be having - even though we have done so much already, you could say, we have done the important stuff and now we're merrily amending as we go- I'm disappointed that I haven't done everything I said I would.

Which brings me to the next bit in question, mainly that I have actually written all the crew bios and put them onto files, for them to be finished I need to find a few hard to find photo's and just check the coding. So I hope to have them actually on AU next week, if Nurr or anyone else is around can add the code to the header links (I still haven't found out where to amend the header!).

I am also at this very moment getting a pile of images together for the gallery. Already some of them are ready to be uploaded onto AU. My main problem is that I'm not sure the best way to get them onto AU as I don't understand the workings of Arwen's current system, the generator. So I would need help with that. Ideally "here are the images uploaded, can you sort out the code/pages please".

Which brings me to another important point - who is still around that can do any coding jobs like this (apart from myself and Nurr obviously :P). Do we need to look at getting some other people on board with this? People happy to do small jobs and things I and perhaps Nurr can't do?

I know we seem to have had this conversation quite a lot, and I know lots of people are busy now. It would be awesome if we could get a few things done before the end of the year, stuff that is probably easier compared to other stuff.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 15th, 2011, 3:06 pm 

It seems like Revival-related activities have been put on hold since spring and I've been pondering whether we ought to revive the Revival or not. I know there are so many things we could still improve and content to add to the main site according to all the plans we had so it seems a pity that people have moved on and haven't got the time and commitment to the project any more. On the other side, if we look back to fall last year where we had a completely outdated main site and a practically empty forum it is clear that we've come a long way in building the main site as well as the A-U community. We should be proud!! :D

As for whether we should go on with the Revival... perhaps we need a new thread where we look at the status right now, and discuss what things we would like to do on the site, and where people could check in once again and state their availability and new people could come onboard.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2011, 10:49 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Time to pick this up again!

First of all, sorry about my unannounced hiatus. It was entirely unplanned, just sorta happened. But I'm back now!

So, like Eä says, the revival has slowed down quite a bit. Well, it's come to a complete standstill again, if we're being honest. But I think that's okay. We managed to do the most important thing, which was bring the site back from the dead. I'm very proud of everyone who helped with that.

Now, I don't think that every tiny change we planned needs to happen right away. It would be nice if things got done eventually, but we're not in a hurry anymore. Like, I said, the most important thing is finished.
With that being said, I know there are things that are basically finished, but haven't gone up on the site yet. One of these things is the new bios. JF and Larael put a lot of work into them, and it would be a shame if we just never got around to adding them to the site. So I think it would be great if we could update the parts of the site that are ready for it.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 3:49 pm 

I'm able to put up things that people give to me...but no one has given things to me! :P I haven't seen Lar around in a long time. JF, have your questions been answered or...? I don't know how much Raina has done with the featured art section and where she still needs help.

As for my end...I just tend to forget! I get busy with schoolwork and then don't get on here to remember. So the best way to make sure I keep doing what I need to do is to prod me like this. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2011, 4:39 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I will keep prodding :) At this stage I think it's the only thing I'm good for, as I'm no help whatsoever with putting things up.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:58 am 

Yay, for putting things up and fixing things and for prodding and for even posting here.. that's what keeps the project going! :-)

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 6:39 pm 

Yep! I get on a couple times a week, but if there's a new post here I zoom right to it and it reminds me to get myself in gear. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 7:25 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Dude, I just realized you can change the size of the fast reply message box. How long has that been there?

As for the featured fan art, there's not much I can do without a coder.

I'll ask again like I had asked before, before the post that got lost under the comments on the revival dying and stuff... Is it possible to set up a page like the home page with the news that, instead of news in each post, holds art? (on a separate page in the art section of course)

And then would it be possible for me to have permission to bug a coder maybe once a month to transfer the art from the featured thing to the gallery? Or could it be possible to make it automatically go over there, so that it's uploaded to the gallery at the same time it's uploaded as a feature?

*Have not yet collected any poems or vids or anything to fill up the rest of the fan section yet*

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 7:38 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The art-news-page idea is great, and I'd love to say yes to all of the above, but it depends on whether or not there are actually any coders around to bug. If one of them is willing though, I say go ahead with this idea!

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2011, 11:02 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Johnny's Fan wrote:
My apologies for not being around too much since Halloween.

I've been very busy this past week making a cake for my brother's 30th birthday. It has possibly been the worst and most stressful week of my life with the exception of the week last November which I believe caused my illness. I've also had another endoscopy last week and I expect to go to the doctors again sometime before Christmas so I can be depressed during the festive season. I'm also off to London for the day on Tuesday (wish me and my stomach good luck) and then straight away I'll be decorating for Christmas, followed by numerous days out in the run up to Christmas. So you probably won't be seeing me around much. As you can gather currently the revival is nowhere near the top of "stuff that is floating around in my head", but I am determined to see to it in 2012, after all the hustle and bustle of Christmas has died down, that I'll be back and working on it is as fervently as I once was.

So if anyone wonders where I am, I am here just not really. :P

I probably should have posted that here as my main cause for concern for my lack of AU-ing is the revival.

Where I currently stand on the revival is that I honestly can't see me being avialable to do anything other than add news as and when I come on AU to see if anyone has any, as I've been up to my eyeballs in Christmas decorations all week and we haven't started on the tree yet. I've got a very busy schedule up until Christmas, so regarding doing anything major like fixing/adding bios, working on the gallery (all things I was really pumped up to do during the summer) that won't be happening anytime soon, as life is just crazy right now.

I know this sounds like excuse after excuse, but I'd rather be honest and let you guys know where I am at the moment, than let you think there are possibilites of my particpating as much as I did in the summer.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 12:05 am 

Eruraina wrote:
Dude, I just realized you can change the size of the fast reply message box. How long has that been there?

As for the featured fan art, there's not much I can do without a coder.

I'll ask again like I had asked before, before the post that got lost under the comments on the revival dying and stuff... Is it possible to set up a page like the home page with the news that, instead of news in each post, holds art? (on a separate page in the art section of course)

I don't exactly know how CuteNews works, but it looks like you can post HTML so I assume you could post pictures. We can probably get a page set up with that, but JF is the one who has the login and posting information. I don't know how it works. I can make a page for you, but there won't be anything on it yet.

Quote:
And then would it be possible for me to have permission to bug a coder maybe once a month to transfer the art from the featured thing to the gallery? Or could it be possible to make it automatically go over there, so that it's uploaded to the gallery at the same time it's uploaded as a feature?

It's not too time consuming to do some image shifts, so you can always grab me to do that. I don't know about automatic, I can try and look into that (after Tuesday, since I need to finish some final projects first).

Johnny's Fan wrote:

Which brings me to the next bit in question, mainly that I have actually written all the crew bios and put them onto files, for them to be finished I need to find a few hard to find photo's and just check the coding. So I hope to have them actually on AU next week, if Nurr or anyone else is around can add the code to the header links (I still haven't found out where to amend the header!).

I have the links from Films>Crew Biographies. Could you check it and make sure it's all there that's supposed to be? :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 2:20 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yep, that looks fine Nurr, thanks for doing that. :-)

I've got some time today, so I'm checking the bios now and finishing off the little niggly things. When I've checked them all, if anyone would like to read through them to check mistakes and stuff, that would be good.

I am struggling with finding some images though. I haven't got my DVD's with me, or I could probably get some screencaps of people, but I need one image larger than 300x300 for Christian Rivers and three images for David Salo larger than 100x100 and another larger than 300x300. I think I've got the rest of the cast covered but these two are proving hard. Could anyone screencap them for me?

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next