Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Main Site [Images etc] Headquarters
PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 5:18 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I think it's important to remember that the galleries have to be accessible and easy to use for someone who hardly knows the world of LotR at all, but those who've been around for ages have to feel as though it's useful as well.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 5:24 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Exactly. I think in the locations gallery especially, a lot of the images until you click on them, they're sometimes a bit vague as to what part of Middle-earth they come from, as a lot of them are behind the scenes images and not always very clear. I myself, have sometimes clicked on an image expecting it be from somewhere in particular to find it's not what I thought.

I don't think it's needed in the "Other Characters" category for example, to have "Rohan People" "Gondorian Soldier" etc, as you can see very easily who is who. But the locations... I would feel like I wasn't doing a very good job if I throw all these new images in there without giving a thought to how I could make it better for everyone using it.

And I would like to say officially: TheOneRing.net is a really crap site. Seriously. I cannot navigate their galleries or their news or anything with ease. I know now why I haven't looked a it more than 5 times in 9 years. :P

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 6:00 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Agreed.

And yes, that does look crappy (I only took a peak). But it beats lordoftherings.net anyways, cause that site has nothing at all to it. Except awesome music.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 10:10 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I don't know if you've noticed this, but it seems that the "back to gallery index" links don't work. At least the one in Eomer's gallery doesn't, I haven't checked the rest of them.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 5:49 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yep, I know. I have checked all the links on the gallery pages and not a single "back to gallery" link works, which has been annoying for me to say the least, needing to flick back between them all. :P

So anyway... opinions please! *drum roll*

At the moment with the galleries we have all the character options, posters, group (with sub-sections for men, Elves, etc), cast and then the "Other" section.

The "other" section currently has:

Crew/Behind the Scenes
Characters
Creatures
Locations
Miscellaneous

As I've been saying I am pretty sure we're going to need the Locations section to have a sub-section of it's own with what I believe will work is:

Elven Kingdoms (Rivendell, Lothlorien)
Rohan (Golden Hall, Helm's Deep etc)
Gondor (Osgiliath, Minas Tirith etc)
Evil Realms (Minas Morgul, Mordor etc)
Shire (Buckleberry, Hobbiton tc)
Misc (Bree, etc)

So I was thinking as the location category will be it's own thing, maybe it should be on the main page, along with Aragorn etc?

Also, another thing that has cropped up is the misc category. I've found a lot of stuff in there to actual be props used for the film, and I have found a ton more stuff like armour and weaponry. As well as the miniatures used by Weta. So I was thinking maybe a simple name change to something like "Props and Minatures" (or something) so it's plainly labelled for people to see what everything is.

Next is merchandise. I have to admit, this is something very much "me" so if you guys don't think it's appropriate or anything, just say so. My own fangirlsim is creeping in here I can tell.

In the misc section currently, there are some sword images which are actually United Cutlery replica swords. I have found a lot more of these merchandise weapons, and I was wondering if a "replica" or "merchandise" category could be added (not for plastic cups or dolls although we do have an image of that at the moment :P) for pictures of the swords, helms and also Weta replicas that can be bought? So nothing cheap but the real, official replicas? A lot of the other sites have such sections, but they don't have my eye or lust for such things, so they mainly have the tacky stuff on view. :teehee:

Also the high-res gallery. Some of the images in those galleries are also in their "proper" galleries (smaller versions obviously). So do we still want special galleries for the large images, and if so do we want their smaller counterparts?

I think I am nearing the end of my hunt for new images, so I really want to start getting them into categories as they will be seen on AU, so if people could give me their opinions on what they think would be easier or whatever I'd really appreciate it. :-)

P. S I hope no one is thinking "omg, she's incapable of doing stuff herself" but I just want to make sure people understand why I think certain things need doing and that what you say and think matters. :D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 6:32 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I think that looks awesome, JF. And yes, the Locations should be on the main page with the character names. Actually, in my opinion (because I think it'll make for less clicking-time) everything that's in the "others" section should be moved to the index page. Really, there's no use to have to click "others" and then "locations" and then "Rohan" etc, especially when the things that are in the "others" section are so varied.

And a merchandise section is highly appropriate. People like me and you who think merchandise is awesome should have the opportunity to ogle these things :)

Far from thinking you're codependent I think it's really great that you ask our opinion about these things, because this is a group effort and we should be equally involved in the decision-making. So no worries about that ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 1:30 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yeah, I agree. I'd like to see every category out on the first page, so it would having the "other" sub categories as there own. It would simplify things, make for less clicking and also look neater. Obviously, the locations and cast would keep their sub-categories but they will be the only ones.

LOL! Yes, ogle and drool and scream "I've got that one!". That may well be a category for the future when everything else is done, but it would be awesome to have. :swoon:

:hug: And I really appreciate your thoughts and comments. :yes:

Ok... this weekend... I will definitely be re-making the header. My fingers are too numb too check for pictures anyway and categorize them. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 11:32 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^Do you have the EE? Because last night I was looking at the appendices (I've only looked at one or two things that looked interesting before) and there is a LOT of awesome stuff there. It'd be brilliant to use for info on the crew, and I'm sure it'd be possible to use some screencaps for the galleries and crew bios and stuff. But I'm sure you've already thought about this :P

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:04 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Are you kidding? My poor EE's are battle-worn with all there watching. :P

Yes, I had already thought about using them for information for bios and the trivia section etc, and if I can get good screencaps, which I should be able to, then it would be one way to get pictures of some of the harder to find crew members. But I definitely do need some more info for some of the crew.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:08 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Haha yes I thought as much :P Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though :teehee:

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 5:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Do you know if any A-U members have or are planning on buying the Blu-ray discs? Some high-res screencaps would be amazing :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 6:13 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ Good question. I've not heard anything about anyone getting the Blue-Ray version, although it might be worth asking around. :yes:

Big job for whoever has them though. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:39 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Blue-Ray screen captures and i think people are going to ejaculate when they see graphics (Joking ofc) :D :D

With love, by Lembas.

'The rewards of flirting are more greater than the risks, be sexy and provocative.'

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:20 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

'Tis a great day. Callooh, callay! She chortled in her joy. :D

*ahem*

Anyway, today I finally finished documenting all the banners that we have on AU and which ones myself and Nurr believe should be removed. I did ask for one other volunteer but I'm glad no one else signed up as Nurr was worth her weight in gold and another being would have made things more complicated. So many thanks to Nurr.

The only sections we didn't look at were the POTC ones. I guess if at the moment nothing is happening to He's A Pirate, they should be properly displayed on AU? Rather than just being linked to a site which hasn't been updated for a while?

While we think there should be a non-LOTR section on AU, we really don't want there to be tons and tons, or at least not loads out there at once, as it will be so easy to just keep adding more and more non-LOTR stuff. I was thinking if we removed say for example 60 non-LOTR banners, and 6 graphics makers wanted stuff on AU, we each give them 10 banner spots each so we are merely replacing what we've lost. Later on we can decide if we want more non-LOTR stuff and just how many. Also, apart from the categories "Film", "TV", "Music and "Misc" I don't think there needs to be sub-categories for the films as it complicates things and makes it look like we're giving as much time on AU for non-LOTR stuff. :whistle:

Anyway, we also discussed the avatars. Nurr thought that with the exception of the Sanity Is Relative section, the avatars should just generally go. Well I thought it was worth trying to save some of Arwen's work and also just provide a little extra something in the media section. So while I think the Static Cast and Rainbow Cast should probably go, I combed my way through the Animated LOTR and also the Static LOTR, so quite a few of those I think we should keep.

I however, think the only non-LOTR stuff should be the banners, so I think the avatars should go.

Also I don't think we need the buttons, the signature banners (I would like a new small banners section to be added which will simply be one page for LOTR and one for non-LOTR), the Xanga wallpapers and the buddy icons.

I have yet to check the wallpapers section yet but I will do.

Anyone think we could add maybe a bookmark section? I'm just trying to think of any other media item to replace those we might remove.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:42 am 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I however, think the only non-LOTR stuff should be the banners, so I think the avatars should go.

I'd like to vote in defense of the non-LotR avatars. :) Capping the non-LotR stuff at just banners seems kind of arbitrary, and banners and avatars sort of go together in my mind anyway. And, well, I quite like some of them. :P Especially the nature-y ones.

I see no problems with anything else you suggested, though. Well done to you and Nurr for going through everything! :D

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 1:55 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well to be honest, I only had a quick look at the non-LOTR avatars, so you might have a point there.... *goes to look* ... yeah, OK. :D I see what you mean about the nature ones. AND it's only 6 pages to go through and not 16. So I'll take a look and see what can be saved. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next