Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Forum Headquarters
PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 5:04 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

It looks really good so far Arweb! And I'm loving the font colour options on the side.

The new profiles are so much more user-friendly, it's awesome. It's weird, you get used to something mediocre, and don't complain about it because you don't know any different, but once you get something brand new, and shiny, and something that works, you can't imagine going back.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Crap! I said that, just because I can... :P

Oh, and what's with the Bots? I looked at who's online at the moment, and it was just a bunch of bots... What's the dealio with that?

Last edited by Dark, Queen of Angmar on March 18th, 2011, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 5:11 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Arwen the webmaster wrote:
Min: the Your Life section isn't visible to non-registered users anymore, so if you weren't logged in at the time you were browsing, maybe that's why :)

JF: WEIRD! It looks like this on my screen:

I agree that it does look ugly in your screenshot, so I'll try to change it back sometime this weekend. What screen resolution do you have? What does the forum index look like for you?

Can I steal your screen? :P

I'm using what I've always used; 800x600. I could use 1024x768 but it hurts my eyes after a while. :-o

OMG I can attach images as well!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 5:13 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Really great work Arwen :wave:

I'm gonna go update my profile even more now :happy:

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 5:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Darkeh: ah nuuuu, what have I done, society will disintegrate because we can use minor curse words! ...damn!

As for the Bots, they came pre-installed with the software. I imagine they're to keep search engine listings up to date. Don't worry, they can't post or anything.

JF: 800x600 would do it! Squish squish. I'll look into changing it back, maybe Sunday when I have more time. And huzzah for attachments.

Ana: now we can all stalk each other more successfully! Life is good!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 5:28 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Thank you. I'm glad it is only me that's seeing it squished because I was wondering visually, what everyone was raving about. :P New stuff, cool. Squished forum, eh?

BTW, I asked this question a while back, but I thought I'd ask you as well. :yes: Is there anyway to get AU higher up the search engine on google? I mean, I know when you type "Arwen" it's pretty high up, but I was thinking about when people type "Lord of the Rings". Would AU appear for "lord of the Rings" at all? And if not, is there anything that could make it be a listed option when someone searches for LOTR?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 7:34 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

YAY Arweb! Oh wow I love all the added little things. :D Awesome. You're doing such an incredible job with all of this.

Like with JF, the 85% looks very squished for me as well - and I'm on a 1024x768 resolution! This is what the thread view and sub-forum view looks like for me:

Image Image Image

It just doesn't look very good. The forum/index.php main page looks fine for me however.

One minor thing I've been wondering about, is it possible (at all) to move the "online/offline" button somewhere else? It looks so out of place below the username and I really kind of liked the old look with the username first, the member title right underneath it followed by the rank stars right underneath the title. It looks so stretched out and weird now. But maybe that is something we'll have to get used to. Also, maybe you've changed this on purpose, but having the username centered also looks a little out of place since the avatar, the member title and all the little user info is to the left.

:)

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:10 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

By the way Arweb, I hope you don't take my pointing out things here and there the wrong way. Let me know if I'm being a pest about it. I'm just trying to see how we can make the forum even better.

I see that the online/offline button has been moved and that the username no longer is centered! YAY! Thank you. However (you might still be working on it so I apologize if you are, but I thought I'd point it out in case you missed it) the online/offline button is now on top of the country flag for me. :confused:

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:17 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ I'm sure Arwen would rather we mentioned things now Eru than when she thinks she's all done and we say "Oh, Arwen....." :P

I liked the old profile look as well, where nothing was centred. Be it name, avatar etc.

Also, (and this isn't too change it or anything) I noticed today the offline button is actually useless at telling people who is offline when that person is always hidden from other members. I feel super sneaky now. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:22 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Yeah you're right JF. The online/offline button is kind of useless. My online status is always hidden from other members and I know others have this set as well.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:29 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^I was just going to say I don't really see the point of the online/offline button. I mean, for one there's those of you who've hidden it, and secondly there's the fact that you can quite quickly figure out if someone is online by seeing if they post anything. Usually you would like to know if the people who post in the same thread as you are on, and if they are they will most likely reply to your post and you'll know :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

No, no, don't worry about it! I can always think about incorporating changes later even if I don't work through them all now, although now is probably the best time.

Anyway, changes made:

-Username left-justified
-Gender added to mini-profile at left
-Online/offline button moved
-Buttons added at bottom of each post for contact info you've chosen to list

Eru, is the online status button still overlapping other text for you? It looks fine on my screen, but we've established that mine doesn't match everyone else's :-P

And psh, I can see when all of you are online even if you're hidden. Mwahahaha.

P.S. I just want to say that I found an AWESOME new feature of the forum. Ana posted a couple minutes before I finished writing my post, and the forum told me "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this" and showed me the post. SWEET.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:39 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Haha that is so cool. And I'm glad to have been of assistance ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:42 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Aye, the button is still overlapping, though only slightly.

Wouldn't it be better to have it moved all the way down so that it's on the same "axis" as the profile/pm/quote buttons, if you get what I mean? Either next to where it says "top" or move it over next to profile/pm.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 9:46 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yep, I was going to ask about the "another post has been made" yadada, as my autograph collecting forum I'm on is this type of board and they have that.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 10:02 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

YAY it looks awesome, Arweb! The online/offline is no longer covering anything, at least not for me. :D

The only issue left for me now is the awkward forum width (both in thread view and in sub-forum view).

And perhaps the white border around the quotes.
Quote:
It looks a little weird especially when all other borders are either blue or non-existent. The white borders are also featured on everyone's profile.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 10:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

How about now, with the online status button? Should have fixed the overlapping thing. (That's what I get for taking a while to post!) Anyway, I dunno about putting it with the rest of the buttons...since it's changeable information rather than the static contact info, it kind of seems like it would be a "which of these things is not like the other?" situation.

I'll work on the forum width and borders later this weekend :)

P.S. I'm trying a brand-new LotR-related user registration test thing instead of the usual "type the random string of letters you see" option, which was STILL ALLOWING SPAMMERS TO REGISTER GRAAAH. Anyway, since it seems to be working (you can log out and pretend to create a new account to see how it works if you're really curious - just...don't actually create a new account, because that's messy :-P), I've switched user activation from Admin to User. Hopefully it will be okay. However, if you find spammers and I haven't caught them, please REPORT their posts. See the little exclamation mark at the bottom right-hand corner of each post? That's how you report something. Please don't abuse it or I'll become a balrog.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next