Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: A-U Revival: Forum Headquarters
PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 2:08 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Yeah, no permission to enter it. :P

With love, by Lembas.

'The rewards of flirting are more greater than the risks, be sexy and provocative.'

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 2:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, that was clever of me :-P

Should be fixed now, sorry about that.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 2:15 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Great, it is fixed now. ^^

With love, by Lembas.

'The rewards of flirting are more greater than the risks, be sexy and provocative.'

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 5:23 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I just spent 5 minutes looking for The Hobbit section. I wondered what the heck you were on about, and how you could see something I couldn't see.

Obviously I need new glasses. :teehee:

Thanks for the forum Arwen! We needs it preciousss!

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 6:18 pm 

Great job, Arweb. Like someone mentioned earlier... we don't appreciate enough the things going on behind the scenes!! We ought to have an "Appreciate" button! :teehee: I just browsed through the thread (7 long and mostly quite boring pages!) so I know you guys went over most of the stuff already.

1) I can see that we do not speak about IE?? I use IE per default and the threads are centered... is there any chance that if I sit back and wait patiently they will fix themselves? Or is it all part of your evil plan for having FF taking over the world? :P

2) And umm.. a minor thing. (Yeah, I just figured that if I numbered my points I needed to come up with at least two.. :teehee:) The new additional user info under the avatar is great (usually I simply assume everyone who is not Caunion or Ellie.. or Jax are female, but behold, that is not so!) but isn't it a tad too detailed to show the time the person joined? At first I thought it was the time the person had set for her time zone but it didn't fit mine... If it can be removed it would save a line and give a cleaner look. ;)

- I LOVE the YouTube embedding thing! THANKS! And the attatchment thingie is pretty nifty too.

And yeah.. I just wanted to say that the new extra features are great. Thanks for updating and for making our lives richer. :hug:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 6:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ Haha, I never noticed the time joined thing. That's awesome. :P

Now I'm obsessed and looking when everyone joined. :teehee:

And I still can't find the "hiya" smilie listed. The little dude who kinds bounces and waves his thin black arms?

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 11:57 pm 

There's a Hobbit suborum. 0.o I'm a bit behind the times apparently.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 10:38 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Eä: Coding and designing for IE is actually quite difficult to accomplish. Not because of the browser itself, but of the different versions being used. According to Microsoft, 12% of the world still uses IE6. Then, XP and Vista users will still be using IE7 & 8 and Windows 7 users will now have access to IE9 - which is the one most of us developers have waited for since it FINALLY supports HTML5.

With this in mind, we have to pick our battles. Code may work for IE9, but not for 7 or 8; likely, code for IE8 may not work for 7 (I know this from experience). Coding for IE is a never-ending battle and we, as designers, need to pick our battle. I would say to Code for IE8 (unless you use the HTML5 hack from Google) - otherwise, stay clear of anything 7 and older (even Microsoft is saying that).

I would definitely code for Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome because they are usually standards compliant and very futuristic when it comes to the next release of HTML (coming soon).

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 11:07 am 

^Thanks for the explanation, Telpe, of which I understood at least 80 percent! :teehee: But anyway I get your main point, and it's really nice to have someone explaining this. Most of the times I have not the faintest clue to how things work behind the scenes.
I think I use IE8 by the way.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 11:27 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thank you, Eä, for your contribution for the web developers of the world. I urge you to take a look at THIS WEBSITE as it is Microsofts attempt to ridding themselves of IE6. It's funny - a humor that only us designers can fully understand - but still funny for the general public.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 2:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Ea, thanks for your input on the forum! As you might have noticed, I fixed the Joined Date bit so it's a little more reasonable. As fun as it is seeing the exact minute someone joined and all.... :teehee:

As for the threads being centered, I tried to fix the silly IE-related EVERYTHING-IS-NOW-CENTERED catastrophe a couple weeks ago, but it seems I missed something. Can you post a screenshot of what is centered that should not be?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 3:59 pm 

^It scared me and I kept thinking what I was doing at 3:15 pm or something and why I chose that exact time to (re)join... and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't recall that fine day in June almost six years ago... :teehee:

Nevermind with the IE-thing. I've only used Firefox for browsing A-U since the forum update - and the planet is still spinning around, so apparently I survived. :P

I was wondering if we're still asking silly question regarding the new shiny buttons here or I should actually post a thread on the Suggestions and Comments board?
Questions like Oooh, what's the catch in the friend/foe list? What's a smart way of using it? and Why can I only see the statistics of some people (the thing in the profile telling what board a member has posted most in), like I can't see the statistics for myself.. :(

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 4:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Whaaaaaat, you can't remember what you were doing at a specific time on a specific day six years ago?!? Your memory: it fails epically! :teehee:

Hmm, concerning questions about the new forum...I really don't know. I've been thinking for a while that maybe we should have a HELP ME!!! subforum instead of (or in addition to) Suggestions/Comments...not because, uh, we don't want any suggestions or comments, but because it just seems more useful. And it could be toward the top of the board so it's more visible. Actually, the whole forum needs rearranging, I think, it's so cluttered with sections...but that's a different topic entirely...or is it? This is the forum headquarters thread, after all...

ANYWAY, back to the original point. I guess you can ask questions here for now about the new software, but we should probably think up an alternative at a certain point :) Re friends/foes, I honestly don't really see the point of it :-P If you have such a problem with a user that you want to add them as a foe, something's wrong. If it did come to that, though, I believe that this means any posts they make are automatically hidden from you. Otherwise the only use of the friends/foes system is that if you go to your User Control Panel OR Inbox, you can see a list of members from your friends/foes thingy who are online. Since a lot of A-Uers are set to invisible...not really useful. I think messages from your friends/foes are marked with specific colors in your PMs, too.

Re user statistics, this one had me stumped. "Is it because Ea's username is so short?" I thought. "Maybe because it has a special character in it?" Both hypotheses proved false upon investigation. However, my experiment concluded with my research that any user with over 5000 posts doesn't have statistics. Maybe it uses too many server resources to keep statistics for that many posts? I'm not sure. Maybe I can go ask about it somewhere. Sorry about that!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 5:07 pm 

Dude, I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday! And trying to think back six years hurt my mind. But what wonderful procrastination it was! :teehee:

I'm all for some kind of update/rearrangement of the sub-forums. We had a thread about this somewhere... perhaps we should dust off that thread...

Before the forum upgrade the system couldn't handle the "Show all posts" for users who had over a certain amount of posts but it seems to work now. :) And I think you're right that the system not being able to deal with too many posts for the statistics. I had a look at a couple of user profiles who have more posts than me and it didn't show up either.
Thanks for looking it up though. :)

(Oooh wait.. I think actually I had a salmon sandwich for lunch yesterday!! :P)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 5:56 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

You guys are weird :P

We did indeed discuss some subforum rearrangements, but I'm not sure we came to any agreement. And I don't quite remember which thread we discussed it in... It may have been this one :teehee: Are you thinking we shouldn't have different sections at all, Arwen? Or just that they need to be better organized?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 11:44 pm 

Aye, we did discuss it in this thread a little. Although I also made a polling thread where people discussed it. It's probably further down the page. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next