Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Coding Talk
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2011, 5:17 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Any help with this please? It's kinda holding me up with the fanart section. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2011, 6:18 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry JF, I missed your last post. The banner sections basically use the same script as the gallery, just without thumbnails. So you upload your photos to a directory on the server, tell the script to look for the photos there and how many photos you want displayed per page, and it outputs the code, automatically dividing it into as many pages as needed. That's why, say, the non-LotR actors banners page is only one file but is divided into three pages.

The only problem is that the script doesn't allow for any text - that's why there's no "Dedicated to So-and-So" above each banner like there used to be. So if you need to have a tagline saying "[Title of Artwork] by [Artist]" above or below each piece, then you might have to find another script, find someone to modify the script, or hand-code everything. If you want to put a tag on the image itself (watermark it and all), then you could probably use the script. Does that help?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 24th, 2011, 3:02 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Thanks a lot Arwen, that's a great help. :-) I did wonder why text no longer appeared above the banners and things.

Raina hit on the idea of having text appear with the name of the artist and their site, when you rollover the thumbnail for the fanart, so hopefully that will work fine with the code that's in place at the moment.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 26th, 2011, 11:44 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Ok, so I've had some time to tackle the fanart section today, and it was going pretty well, amending the actual Fan Section page and then creating a new Fan Art page complete with categories..... and then I completely screwed up the Pencil page. :P

I uploaded 3 pencil images to the fan section and then their partner thumbs to the thumb section. I cannot figure out the script you mention Arwen or where the bit is that I can change so I thought maybe I could just add the images to the htmp page myself and that would be OK. Well as you can see, the rollover text works and the art is there, but it doesn't like the thumb image one bit, so I can only presume as it's now 100x100 instead of 50x50 I need to change this elusive script to accomodate for that?

I'm just a bit puzzled still about all this, and I really need to know how to use it, as I will be needing it a lot in the future.

Sorry to be such a dunce. :dunce:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 12:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Erm...I'm not entirely sure I followed the whole thing :-P Right now from the source code it looks like you don't have any file extension specified - you're asking it to look for fan/thumbs/11Aragorn_Jon-Snowthumb as the thumbnail image, and go to fan/11Aragorn_Jon-Snow as the full-size one. I expect there should be a .jpg extension on both of those, unless the files are in a different format than jpg.

As for the script, the one I'm talking about was the one that didn't accommodate text captions, so I don't think it would work for the fan art system you have going on :erm: Do you know what's going on with the navigation on the Pencil Art section? It shows me that I'm on page 2, but every other page links to the same section, so I'm not sure what's going on there...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 1:07 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

[color=white]I'm officially AU's current idiot. :goofy:

I can't believe I forgot to add the JPG after each file name, I carefully made sure my coding followed yours and boom.... I missed that. It's fixed now. :P

Ah, I was hoping you see your script might work perhaps, but as you say, I don't think it is. I suppose I could just make each page myself and do it that way?

The reason why you can't go further than page one, is the other pages look a mess right now so I didn't want people to see it, AND I was also seeing how that coding worked. Would have been better if I had just not linked pencils instead I know, but as you can see, my brain was somewhere cooler yesterday while I fried. :teehee:

EDIT: If the coding for the fanart is the same as the gallery and you can't have text, what about the fact you can find out the size of say an Aragorn image when you roll over it? Because that is the same code that I'm using for the fanart./color]

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 12:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Johnny's Fan wrote:
EDIT: If the coding for the fanart is the same as the gallery and you can't have text, what about the fact you can find out the size of say an Aragorn image when you roll over it? Because that is the same code that I'm using for the fanart.

The gallery script has a built-in function that gets the dimensions of the full-size image and adds it to the rollover text. This is automated, though. I'm sure there would be a way to save fanart information (metadata, or whatever it's called...?) to the image itself and have the script call it, but I'm no hardcore coder. That stuff's out of my league :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 2:41 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

It's Ok, I'll just add them manually to the code. I think I have figured out how I am going to update the pages in the future, a bit more complicated than what you used to do, but if it works it will be worth it. Thanks for all your help Arwen, I really appreciate you taking the time. :-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 4:08 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

JOBS WHAT NEED DOING:

Ok, I am going through each section of AU, to try and see what I believe needs fixing/amending. I am going to post all the things I find, and I'm going to be adding to it and crossing out things that get done. I'm doing this so people can see a) what needs doing (however small) so no one can say they didn't know what was in need of fixing and b) so people can let others know THAT'S MINE!

ELVISH

- The page should perhaps be in keeping with the rest of AU. With a proper title and without the Elvish script either at the top or bottom (as nice as it is). The interview with David Salo should have it's own link
- Some of the titles for each of the Elvish sections are huge and bold. The bold needs removing to match the rest of the AU pages
- The images on the FOTR and TTT movie translation pages that depict the scenes from which the Elvish come from, should be updated with a simple image rather than a patterened edge. ROTK currently has no images either
- All Elvish pages also have the Elvish script image at the top and bottom which perhaps should go
- The text links for the Girls and Boys name translations are also bigger than other links on AU and should also read downwards to match everywhere else (example, fan art)
- Pages that have a colour key (song lyrics, book translations, elvish to english dictionary, english to elvish dictionary only) have the colour key where a title for the page should be, at the moment there isn't any
- Weapons inscription page needs better images displaying where to find the inscriptions

I know it seems a lot, and I know it's totally picky stuff (although some of it looks really ugly right now) but when that's done, the Elvish section is finished, finito and we can move on. Anything I missed or something different anyone thinks should happen, post it here.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2