Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently February 24th, 2017, 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: General Impressions
PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 3:08 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The Hobbit was the first Tolkien book I ever read when it was recommended by my neighbor and he loaned me his paperback. I quickly read it through and started into Fellowship of the Ring soon after. But I have only read The Hobbit that one time, whereas I've read Lord of the Rings a few dozen times over the years. My general impression is The Hobbit is geared toward an audience who prefer a lighter read, and it is a great prequel to the Lord of the Rings. Will I read it again, maybe, but I have never felt driven to re-read it after all these years.

Post subject: Re: General Impressions
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2017, 8:01 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yeah, I feel the same about it. I have read it twice, first the finnish version, then the original and now I'm trying to read the swedish version and oh gosh it's hard, but thats just for learning purposes.
It's kind of children's book, because it's a lot lighter than Lotr. It's not a bad thing, but the Hobbit resembles a fairytale somehow. Like I could imagine someone reading it to me or me reading it to a child. Perhaps it the beginning that gives that feeling "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit". It's almost like "Once upon a time, in a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit". I'm not sure what I'm trying to say anymore, but I think the Hobbit isn't as thought-provoking as Silmarillion for exemple. It's not a bad thing as I said because it's all preferencies, but I think I like the darker Arda tales more, because they make me think more and contemplate anything from general greediness of people to how easily beautiful things or people (like Lúthien) can cause quarrel and trouble without even knowing it. But now I'm just getting lost on the side tracks, so..

Profile       WWW