Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you like about Bilbo?
PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 12:17 am 
Istari
Istari

I like his adventurousness, even when he didnt know he had that in him! There were multiple times throughout the story he thought of home but he didnt turn back. Even when he couldnt see it yet, there was a part of him that wanted to see the journey through to the end. Anyone else have a favorite quality about Bilbo?

Post subject: Re: What do you like about Bilbo?
PostPosted: January 13th, 2012, 12:40 pm 

I like the fact that he is an anti-hero, especially for the first chapters. Later in the book he grows stronger and more adventurous, although it takes some time before he realises that himself. He still sees himself as an ordinary Hobbit, who has stumbled upon this adventure by chance, instead of a real hero. And that makes him adorable :happy:

PostPosted: January 13th, 2012, 10:59 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

The fact he is thrown out of his comfort zone and goes on a crazy adventure and he grows, overcoming his once naive nature and becomes a more mature, grown-up individual with many awesome stories and poems to tell. He has an amazing sense of creativity and energy, a sense of quirkiness too, which I like. :) Bilbo is just overall interesting.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2012, 11:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Agreed, I very much like how he grows as a character during the adventure.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2012, 11:25 am 
Istari
Istari

Yes, I like the change of Bilbo during the whole story. He became quite skilled adventurer at the end and at the beginning he was just home and full stomach liking simple guy :)

PostPosted: February 14th, 2012, 1:41 am 
Istari
Istari

Smaug you're back!!!! :)

PostPosted: February 14th, 2012, 6:29 am 
Istari
Istari

Haha, yes, it's meee! ^^

PostPosted: June 10th, 2012, 12:04 pm 

I didn't even realize it until The Hobbit hype started up, but Bilbo really is the character I'm most fond of in the entire series. As others have said, his transformation is remarkable, but my favorite part is he's not really changed or hardened or anything like that, he just found a part of himself that was already there. I love his pride, too. He never develops a huge ego or gives himself airs, but he's got enough that when the dwarves doubt him he steps out and basically says, "Hey, don't you disparage me. There's more to me than meets the eye, though even I don't quite know it yet." And the incredible decision he makes to basically betray the dwarves by giving the Lake-men and the elves the Arkenstone. He had the clearness of mind to recognized that his friends were acting unreasonable and foolish, and if he doesn't do something about it useless blood is going to be spilled. It's wonderfully brave and shows a really keen and diplomatic intelligence. Then, when he comes back he becomes sort of like your favorite quirky professor who's always telling fantastic stories and weaving poems. I wonder if there isn't a little bit of Tolkien himself in Bilbo for that reason. ;)

Plus, I was introduced to Middle-earth through The Hobbit and Bilbo when I was 8 or so, and I can still remember when I first heard the plot of LotR my first thought was, "Who is this poser, 'Frodo'? Where's Bilbo, and why isn't he the main character anymore?!" Unfortunately my affection for Bilbo got kind of eclipsed in the epicness of LotR but I'm really starting to rediscover it now.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2012, 11:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

I love how you worded that about Bilbo not really changing or hardening during his journey. I always loved how he found that adventurous part of him, but I never thought about how he didnt really change. He just grew in some aspects of his character. And yes, I love how he became the quirky hobbit who told 'crazy' stories!

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 9:57 am 
Istari
Istari

I think that one of the great things about Bilbo is that he is relatable as a character. He is a completely ordinary person thrown into an extroadinary situation, and he handles it quite well. And although he does have flaws, he is still very down-to-earth and acts how I think most of us would like to act if we were put in a similar position.

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: June 12th, 2012, 10:24 am 

@ Lithi... Right! I mean, when you think about it, he could have gone down the road of thinking that the world was awful and ugly with goblins and dragons and spiders trying to kill you at every turn. Instead, I think he finds that the world is a fantastic place full of many beautiful things, and that its flaws can be overcome.

@ Ariadne... Oo, yes, that's very true. Tolkien really describes him in a relatable way as well. Like when Bilbo not just wishes to be 'home,' in an abstract sort of way, but that he wishes he were in Bag End with the kettle just going off. And my favorite is during the riddle game when Bilbo's going, "I can't think with this icky creature right beside me!!" How many of us could think of a riddle with Gollum there, contemplating to eat you??
It's funny, I think PJ tried really hard to make Frodo an ordinary person thrown into an extraordinary circumstances, when really Bilbo personifies that. After all, Frodo was a little bit prepared in the books, having learned a little elvish and all the knowledge Bilbo could pass down to him. He also had the benefit of a few months to get ready. Bilbo really was just an average, well-to-do hobbit who was literally thrust out the door. He really handled it better, too. :P

PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 12:45 am 
Istari
Istari

I think he was very brave when he rescued his friends from the spiders. Quite frankly I doubt I would have been able to do that, I'm terrified of spiders let alone giant ones! I would be like Ron from Harry Potter 2, just standing there looking around squealing and groaning in fear. :lol: And yes, he was a very relateable character, very human and, for a fantasy story, believable.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 1:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yes, true, I can really relate to Bilbo sometimes, although I guess I would made much worse choices in dangerous situation (though we never know how we would act when the danger is near...).

Bilbo is the reader in hobbit disguise and we follow him in the story like we follow our own mind.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2012, 5:02 pm 
Elf
Elf

I like how he's being played by Martin Freeman Well, I like how, through Bilbo, we get to see what Middle-earth is like through a stranger's eyes, and how that affects our view of the world. Sure, it happens with Frodo and the other 3 hobbits, but they were a bit prepared, as said before. With Bilbo, we just learn about Middle-earth from his own experiences. :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 9:20 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I love how Bilbo reacts for everything new: I didn't want to go here! - let's face it, we have to do this - uff, what an adventure - it would be good to go home for a tea ;)

set by skitty

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 9:28 am 
Istari
Istari

Even after gaining a courage he always wanted to be in his lil good house. But I bet he wouldn't miss an adventure, now, when everything woke up in him.