Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Radagast
PostPosted: March 1st, 2015, 4:19 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I will enjoy! No doubt there. :D My kids are just barely old enough to grasp an in depth story but I am sure this is not the last time we will go over the books. *thumbs up*

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: July 5th, 2016, 10:10 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

In Fellowship of the Ring in the 'Council of Elrond' chapter, Gandalf says that Radagast was "A master of shapes and changes of hue". When I first read the books way back some 40 years ago, I indeed thought that the 'strange figure' that Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas encountered on the edge of Fangorn was Radagast as he was benign and only freed the horses the Rohirrim gave them. In subsequent readings I had given the one who was that mysterious figure as being either Saruman or Gandalf, but was never insistent on either of them. In my latest reading I again attributed him to being Radagast. It would have made no sense that it was Saruman as he would have surely done more than free the horses. There is an outside chance that it was Gandalf not ready to reveal himself as the White, but that really doesn't fit either. So I now give that brief appearance to Radagast. He would have loved Fangorn, and all the trees, birds and animals there. And surely the ents would know of Radagast having lived in Rhosgobel for so long. And as far as Radagast having settled in Rhosgobel, located quite close to Dol Guldur, tells me that though he may have abandoned his "mission" to overtly help elves and men resist the dark lord, he may not have completely given it up.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 10th, 2016, 11:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hm... very interesting. Sounds good in theory. I am taking it the book never really says outright who the figure was, which is quite intriguing.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 8:11 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

It is one of those open-ended mysteries that Tolkien left us.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 5:04 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Interesting indeed. Kind of cool but kind of "Argh!" at the same time... lol Like it's neat to try and think of who it could be but then it's like,.... "I wanna know!" :P

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 7:54 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durían wrote:
In Fellowship of the Ring in the 'Council of Elrond' chapter, Gandalf says that Radagast was "A master of shapes and changes of hue". When I first read the books way back some 40 years ago, I indeed thought that the 'strange figure' that Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas encountered on the edge of Fangorn was Radagast as he was benign and only freed the horses the Rohirrim gave them. In subsequent readings I had given the one who was that mysterious figure as being either Saruman or Gandalf, but was never insistent on either of them. In my latest reading I again attributed him to being Radagast. It would have made no sense that it was Saruman as he would have surely done more than free the horses. There is an outside chance that it was Gandalf not ready to reveal himself as the White, but that really doesn't fit either. So I now give that brief appearance to Radagast. He would have loved Fangorn, and all the trees, birds and animals there. And surely the ents would know of Radagast having lived in Rhosgobel for so long. And as far as Radagast having settled in Rhosgobel, located quite close to Dol Guldur, tells me that though he may have abandoned his "mission" to overtly help elves and men resist the dark lord, he may not have completely given it up.

I would be curious what Elthir's thought are on Radagast.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 12:19 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

People love mysteries, and I do too... so, do you [anyone] want to know who Tolkien thought the stranger was?

If you don't want to know, run away! If you do...

spoiler alert space

Saruman

Tolkien wrote out schemes in which Saruman is named here, noting also Gandalf's statement in The White Rider about Saruman being so eager to lay his hands on his prey that he could not wait at home.

Last edited by Elthir on March 25th, 2017, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:36 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Granted, the scene is so short that one can easily miss it - and perhaps it is in the Extended Edition?
Anyway, probably a flashback showing what Radagast is telling Gandalf, the Dwarves and Bilbo (oddly on the west side of the Misty Mountains - how did he get there from Dol Guldur???) about what he saw in Dol Guldur: a Ringwraith there rises behind Radagast and is about to strike him with its weapon, when he notices it an flips the R-w a good 20 feet away with just a flick of his staff. Handled the nasty at least as easily as Elrond and Saruman do later in their confrontation with them, it disappeared into the ground with a shriek and didn't pop up again.
And of course when Gandalf says "Those are Gundabad Wargs ..." Radagast answers with "These are Rhosgobel Rabbits; I'd like to see them try" with a look on his face that just makes me think of Dirty Harry's "Make my day!" :bones:

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

LOL it is a funny scene!

Profile       WWW